Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling Bypass vets!

What advice can you offer new bypass patients who are from brand new, up to a year in??

Follow your doctor's plan. Exercise as much as you can and push your limits. I think weight loss surgery should come with a Fit Bit. Absolutely worth the investment. Use MyFitnessPal.com to track your food, I would be lost without it.

Best of luck!

Carol

RNY 6/25/13, 205 pounds lost.

Regardless of what your weight is doing - follow your plan.

• Stay positive.
  • Stay patient.
  • Exercise to your ability.
  • Maintain a food log (next to the surgery itself, the most powerful tool you can have in your arsenal).
  • Stay away from the scales for at least a week at a time and, if you can stand it, two would be even better.
  • For many, goal weights and time lines are at best frustrating, at worst self-defeating. Follow your plan. For however long it takes. Simply go where it takes you.

Trust the process. Gastric bypass is the most effective treatment known to medical science for the treatment of obesity and more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity. By a very wide margin.

Never compare your weight loss to anyone else's weight loss. The fact that your weight loss is different than someone else's weight loss means absolutely nothing. Everyone is different. Allow your body to find its own way in its own time.

Your body will tell you when it's where it wants to be. And when your body is where it wants to be, you're gonna love the new you!

Edited by DLCoggin

Regardless of what your weight is doing - follow your plan.

• Stay positive.
  • Stay patient.
  • Exercise to your ability.
  • Maintain a food log (next to the surgery itself, the most powerful tool you can have in your arsenal).
  • Stay away from the scales for at least a week at a time and, if you can stand it, two would be even better.
  • For many, goal weights and time lines are at best frustrating, at worst self-defeating. Follow your plan. For however long it takes. Simply go where it takes you.
Trust the process. Gastric bypass is the most effective treatment known to medical science for the treatment of obesity and more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity. By a very wide margin.

Never compare your weight loss to anyone else's weight loss. The fact that your weight loss is different than someone else's weight loss means absolutely nothing. Everyone is different. Allow your body to find its own way in its own time.

Your body will tell you when it's where it wants to be. And when your body is where it wants to be, you're gonna love the new you!

Great advice! Thank you so much!

Enjoy the journey. Write down everything that goes in your mouth. Have fun watching the new emerge. Walk... Have fun

Don't let your goal be "thin". Let your goal be your HEALTH! Numbers on the scale will fluctuate and change with time and age. Don't let this be about the numbers. Your health is primary and numbers will reflect that. Keep on your plan: Protein, exercise, Water. The rest will happen on it's own!

Find a local support group.

Water aerobics.

Walk in morning, and in evening.

Make sure your family keeps supporting you ... they are the most important item you will need.

If your friends don't understand you are doing this for health, or push foods at you ... it's time to say "goodbye"

This is NOT so you look great in a small size, this tool is meant to help you get to a healthy weight, one that is better for you. One that will help with your medical probs, or prevent med probs.

Another question for vets. I just had bypass on Monday...

This sounds like a silly question, but what does feeling full feel like after bypass? So far, I can't distinguish between gas pain and fullness. I've been sipping liquids all day, so will I just stay full?

If you eat too much the pain can be severe & the vomiting is horrid.

You will have to slowly learn what "full" feels like. But eating a little here and there -- many call this "grazing" -- you will put the weight back on. Take it slow, and keep a record of what you eat. I use "MyFitnessPal" app to keep record of what I put into my body & the exercise I do each day.

Good luck.

Im 4 mo out & i feel fullness moreso in my lower chest.

Thanks, Trish!

My discharge nurse told me to measure and time everything I drink so that I don't get too full, and ultimately vomit.

That's where my question stems from.

KylieD87,

I have only been told it's different for everyone. I wish there was a way to say it feels like this ... but how I perceive when I am full won't be how you feel it. I know that sounds messed up, but it's the truth.

I hope you figure it out with out getting sick, because that is the worst ... I mess up ever once and a while and over do it. I spend all day & night feeling horrid ... sweating, in excruciating pain, light headed (even passed out), shakey, and the worse is the vomiting. One lady told me I could feel cold liquid as it "dumps" from my pouch, in all my years I have never felt it.

Good luck.