Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if this is it?

So, I'm totally a newbie on here - had my bypass on July 9 - feel great, but am only down 22 lbs... and have been stuck for a week!! Is this normal? Should I be worried that I've lost all I'm gonna lose??? Any insight is appreciated!

Kelly

Unfortunately, it's totally normal and will happen more than once. When it does, make sure you are still filling out a food journal, drinking lot's of Water, getting a lot of exercise, and following the "drink Water 30 minutes before your meal, don't drink anything with your meal, chew a lot and eat slowly, but not too slowly--don't eat longer than 30 minutes. And then 30 minutes later start drinking your water again" plan. Protein first! if you still have room, then have a bit of a carb and some veg.

And stop weighing yourself so much!!! lol. At least that's what I was told and it worked.

I stalled for two weeks at about three weeks out from surgery. I kept exercising and I dropped four pants sizes in those two weeks but not an ounce of weight. I also I had to put the scale away. I was weighing myself several times a day. I was becoming really upset. Now I only weigh myself every couple of days. It's much better that way, so u don't see the weight fluctuations, which do happen. When my stall finally broke, I lost 13 pounds in 3 days. I have been slowly loosing ever sense. Just follow your program and your stall will come to an end. I have learned to patient, we didn't gain weight overnight, so we aren't going to lose it over night. Keep us updated on how you are doing. Good luck!!

Totally normal and actually (somewhat) better for you...you will have less sagging, stretchmarks, etc. and it will continue to come off...sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes not at all...but, it is unlikely that, having surery in July, that you are anywhere NEAR being "finished" losing.

I know patience is one of the hardest parts of having the surgery, but just hang in there and believe all of us who are further out and can attest to the fact that it is normal and that you still have a long road of "losing" to do. Just follow the guidelines (Protein, Water, Vitamins, exercise) and you'll be buying smaller and smaller clothes. And, when you stop worrying over your surgery and your progress, it's amazing how much "easier" things get!!

You are a success in the making....do not become discouraged!!!

Totally normal, I hit a stall at 2 weeks out 21 lbs down and I'm still there. Literally 292.2 no matter what I eat or don't eat or how much I walk. I talked to my husband about how frustrating it is to go through all of this and to feel like maybe that's all I'll lose, and he said" your body is healing, it's been through major trauma. It's putting all it's energy and effort into healing and trying to figure out why it's not working the way it should. On top of that, you're giving it 300-600 calories a day. It's scared it'll starve. Let it figure this out and soon the scale will move down again. In the mean time follow directions, and the plan". My husband is a smart guy lol

Thanks everyone!! I needed to hear that... the stall is freaking me out. Logically I know I'm not done losing weight, but that fear is still there that I won't get where I need to be. Will *try* not to weigh myself so much - but it's hard not to!!! Thanks for the tips and encouragement :)

Kent, I am so glad you asked that! I am in the same boat!!!! It was nice to read what people told you because I needed to hear it, too!

I got past the stall!! Woo hoo!! I did just have to patient after all... the weight definitely isn't falling off, but it's coming off, so I'll take it!

Yeah! How long was your stall? I've been stalled for a week!

Yeah! How long was your stall? I've been stalled for a week!

My longest stall was two months. It was also my ONLY stall. :-)

Edited by terry1118

I stalled for a little over a week and then weight started to slowly come off again! A two month stall would be horrible!!!

I stall quite a bit and then drop 10 pounds fairly quickly. And then stall again. Keeps happening but I definitely stall more when I"m not keeping a food journal. I've upped my exercise until last week--I am having back spasms so just can't do much other than stretching and walking.

I read somewhere that bariatric weight loss is like a flight of stairs- most of the time is spent on the flat part- then DROP- then back to flat.

I know the last 10 months have been that way for me. Just dont let yourself get discouraged, because if you do what you need to do, those drops will continue to come (eventually).

Hugs!

Great analogy!!!

By the way, what do you all do for Constipation? Sorry for the gross topic but it's really becoming an issue for me.

Esskay77, I'm on meds for that... but after I had my kiddos, the dr. recommended drinking warm apple juice and it really helped. Maybe try a low sugar version of apple juice? ?