Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats Post Op like?

My 6th months of PCP visits & support letter from my primary is submitted and I'm 98% done with all the Pre-Op Tests. Now the waiting for approval & a date begins. I was told maybe thirty days of waiting. So in the meantime although I have no cardiac issues I decided to get a referral from my primary for a cardiac work-up. My Mother had a blocked artery & my brothers had by- pass surgery. My feeling is I want to know the status of all my bodily systems before I enter the OR.

So my question to all you Sleeve post op folks is what 3 things do you wish you had been better prepared for during Post Op?

Was just sleeved on the 4th. At home now and things seem to be going fairly close to normal.

1. Waking up after surgery really does suck. All I wanted to do was sleep to get away from the pain, but, they really wouldn't let me and it pissed me off.

2. All the gas is crazy. Between burping, farting, hiccuping (which is uncomfortable) I wasn't really prepared for this part of it.

3. I feel like I could eat a little normal food now and be ok, but, I know it wouldn't be good for my new stomach. Very tough to resist and I'm already tired of liquids only.

The ONLY thing that relieves gas pain is Walking. When you wake up you will think the nurses are crazy for wanting you to walk, but do it. Do it often. Do it every time you wake up. Also if the gas pain is bad for goodness sake DO NOT LAY FLAT. Sit up in a chair. Don't be afraid to vomit, as you will probably feel nauseated, it's just air. The faster you get the air out the better you will feel.

Don't take a bunch of stuff with you to the hospital cause you aren't gonna need it. A change of clothes to go home in, toothbrush and toothpaste, and a brush/comb... that's about it. I took a book, and crosswords... didn't touch any of it. I even had games on my phone and people waiting for me to post about my status on FB and had no desire to do anything.

When family/friends visit, ask them to walk with you. It helps, you can talk to them and they can encourage you.

Oh and one last piece of advice... WALK!

<p>The ONLY thing that relieves gas pain is Walking. When you wake up you will think the nurses are crazy for wanting you to walk, but do it. Do it often. Do it every time you wake up. Also if the gas pain is bad for goodness sake DO NOT LAY FLAT. Sit up in a chair. Don't be afraid to vomit, as you will probably feel nauseated, it's just air. The faster you get the air out the better you will feel.</p> <p> </p> <p>Don't take a bunch of stuff with you to the hospital cause you aren't gonna need it. A change of clothes to go home in, toothbrush and toothpaste, and a brush/comb... that's about it. I took a book, and crosswords... didn't touch any of it. I even had games on my phone and people waiting for me to post about my status on FB and had no desire to do anything.</p> <p> </p> <p>When family/friends visit, ask them to walk with you. It helps, you can talk to them and they can encourage you. </p> <p> </p> <p>Oh and one last piece of advice... WALK!</p>

t

Thanks for the suggestion I will underline Walking in my "Self Prep" Pre/ Post tasks.

I would totally agree that walking is a HUGE part in relieving the gas pains! Also, when I came out of surgery the morphine they had me on made me SUPER nauseous so I had them switch me to another pain reliever which worked fine with no side effects. When you get home try to sleep in a recliner for the first week! You will also need to perfect the "log roll" technique for when you move back to your regular bed. Lol

Well I'am now 9 days away from my VSG surgery. Per your suggestions iam ready to walk soon as the Doc gives,e the OK.

So this question is for the female VSGr's I understand Hair loss is pretty standard at some point PostOp but iam wondering if I dare get the perm & color that's due now or wait. Will it accelerate the hair loss? Anybody have any tested advice?

So long PreOp surgery was Mid-October I'am doing fine and enjoyed my recliner for the first two weeks helped a lot Thank you@@adamfishaa

Edited by Jyoyonomore

No problem! I am excited to see your progress! I am creeping up on my one year surgiversary! Almost 200lbs down! You will do great!

No problem! I am excited to see your progress! I am creeping up on my one year surgiversary! Almost 200lbs down! You will do great!

@@adamfishaa Congrats 200LBS Awesome!!!! I'm down 30LBS 10 of that a week after my VSG. On my way!