Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I have been banded for almost 3 years now. I recently got sick with really bad allergies and doctor had me on a very high dose of steroids and 3cc's were taken out of my band. This caused me to gain about 40 lbs. thankfully I am doing great. I went for a fill on Tuesday, they have been filling me up gradually, so right now I'm on liquids for 3 days and soft foods for 3 days. Back to the basics so to speak.

This time around I want to cut out carbs, just get the minimal amount needed, with that said.

Has anyone tried the Paleo Diet? Has it worked for you? What do you eat?

I don't know much about Paleo diet but have seen pictures of the foods that are eaten on websites. I had a gastric bypass 4 months back and I don't eat carbs. Meaning I avoid simple carbs. No bread, no Pasta, no rice, no cakes/cookies, rarely potato, rarely fruits. I eat ground meats (chicken, turkey and beef), Beans, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, soy milk, strong cheese, Greek yogurt, PB2, nuts, Protein Shakes and if I crave something sweet I will have skinny cow or weight watchers ice cream. I honestly don't miss any of the carbs. I guess we just get used to not having them in our diets. Hope this helps. Also banders will probably have more insights. Good luck!

The Paleo diet is somewhat the same principle as what is recommended for WLS patients. Except you have to adjust for the limited quantity you are able to eat. So you still have to lean towards getting your Protein first. Unfortunately that does not leave a whole lot of room for the veggies and fruits.

My naturopath raves about this diet and it does make you feel better. I am a dairy lover though so I find it challenging at times. But there are tons of good recipes out there!

I strive to live the Paleo life but I had to modify it. I still eat Beans and rice on occasion and I also consume small quantities of cheese and milk.

Eliminating processed flours and sugars was quite easy to adapt to for me but a sprinkle of cheese on my omelet and 8 ozs of milk for my latte were the trade-offs.

Being banded, Beans and rice works great for the Protein intake and also is solid enough to give a lot of satiation. I've actually taken the paleo diet to another level by implementing an intermittent fasting program that has allowed me to drop 14 lbs in the last 6 weeks and beat a 3-4 month stall.

I modified Dr Varady's IF program by fasting(still 600cals on fast days) 3 days a week. It's not a true fast as in all liquids all day. It's like stop eating on Sunday at 7 pm and I don't eat again till Monday around 1 pm.

The Fast Diet(aka 5-2 fast diet) is similar to this but it's best if you can modify the timing so it works for you. They're not true Paleo Diets but do follow the low carb, low glycemic index path to an extent. True Paleo is just a diet that is like other diets and can not be counted on as a lifestyle forever. jmo