Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If YOU knew then...

My surgery is one month away...if YOU knew then, what you know now...what would you do differently?

I'd eat myself to exhaustion so that it wouldn't haunt me today.

It haunts you because you never paid a "farewell" to certain foods & you want them now?

Well, I did a six week pre-op diet and reached the required weight loss after three weeks. I was then cleared for surgery. What haunts me is that I starved myself (painfully!) while waiting for the surgery, when I could've bid farewell to some sporadic unwise choices, just for old times sakes.

Would not do anything differently. Am very, very happy with my choices.

The only thing I wish I'd have done differently was to work out more prior to surgery.

We lose so much muscle after the surgery that I wish I'd have focused more on building up that strength (rather than just always doing cardio).

I'm the opposite of latido though. I couldn't be happier that I started losing weight before the surgery as I feel that much further along my journey now. Many of those who were in my pre-surgery classes admitted to having tons of "last supper" experiences with their favorite foods versus my focus on making changes day 1 and while it isn't a competition, I'm happy to be that much further along now.

I think the one thing I didn't do that I wish I did was take my measurements. There will be times when you are not losing weight, but you will be losing inches. It is nice to compare measurements at those times.

I only ate 2 things I wasn't supposed to before surgery...cheeseburger and taco. Why eat all those things that you are not supposed to have and will only add to the pounds you will be trying so hard to lose. Get rid of any food not on your approved list. Gave mine to my daughter. So glad because you don't want to see food you are unable to eat. Make sure you have your Vitamins and Protein before surgery. I even added Protein shakes for one meal.

I totally agree with winning by losing, build muscle mass now. Get in the exercise mode. Walking helped so much after surgery.

I watched myself before surgery and exercised. I lost more then the required amount that they asked me to and I'm glad I did.

I had one last meal before my surgery of a burger and homemade chips plus dessert. I still eat burgers without the bun and my dessert now is applesauce instead.

The only thing I sorta regret is not doing this earlier in life but I wasn't mentally ready for it until last year.

I would do it all over again.

Good luck to you.

Great stuff...Im totally taking notes! I got the new PIYO workout...its no impact so I can't get too crazy presurgery. But the walking sounds like a necessity & I'll take heed and do that in order to get back to PIYO. What about certain products....is there any Vitamins etc...that you found later that you wish you knew of beforehand?

I wouldn't change anything I did. I lost 25 pounds before and I wasn't required too. I will admit it I cheated during my preop diet. I had taco bell. I guess it had so much sodium in it, I had gotten up the next morning and weighed myself. I had put on 4 pounds. I lost it before my surgery, thank goodness. I wish I would of went to the gym before my surgery, my healing body isn't used to exercise just yet. I am slowly working up to an hour of vigorous exercise.

I would have had bypass INSTEAD OF lab band...the lap band was a waste of money! It put my weight loss further away, caused severe reflux and made my bypass cost more as well. But, at the time, it was the "latest and greatest" and they said it gave 80-95% excess weight loss, which has now been "downgraded" to about 40%+/-!!! It turns out gastric bypass has been just as "gentle" on my body...maybe even more so than the band, since I've lost 76 pounds with bypass...and I feel great and have kept my weight off (even though it's only been 20 months!)

As far as Vitamins, I was sold Bariatric Advantage chewables at the doctor's office. Since they were chewable, I'd say they were very good when I first had surgery. However, now I find that other "regular" multi-vitamins do just as well without the $40/bottle price tag.

I would have documented (more precisely) my contract details, as I was self-pay (no bariatric coverage) and then the MD billed ADDITIONAL charges to my insurance company and then refused to return any of my initial monies. (The insurance was only given to them to pay for the initial consult) So, my doctor was paid twice for the same surgery, which infuriates me; the insurance company seems to have little interest in recovering the money they paid, so it's all up to me to take the MD to court. MAKE SURE that, if you are self-pay (or even partial pay, with insurance) that you have your SIGNED CONTRACT that outlines what will be paid by whom....and make sure it doesn't have phrases like "additional procedures" worded into it as a loop-hole for the MD!!!!

You will likely do very well and feel great!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

I would have had bypass INSTEAD OF lab band...the lap band was a waste of money! It put my weight loss further away, caused severe reflux and made my bypass cost more as well. But, at the time, it was the "latest and greatest" and they said it gave 80-95% excess weight loss, which has now been "downgraded" to about 40%+/-!!! It turns out gastric bypass has been just as "gentle" on my body...maybe even more so than the band, since I've lost 76 pounds with bypass...and I feel great and have kept my weight off (even though it's only been 20 months!)

As far as Vitamins, I was sold Bariatric Advantage chewables at the doctor's office. Since they were chewable, I'd say they were very good when I first had surgery. However, now I find that other "regular" multi-vitamins do just as well without the $40/bottle price tag.

I would have documented (more precisely) my contract details, as I was self-pay (no bariatric coverage) and then the MD billed ADDITIONAL charges to my insurance company and then refused to return any of my initial monies. (The insurance was only given to them to pay for the initial consult) So, my doctor was paid twice for the same surgery, which infuriates me; the insurance company seems to have little interest in recovering the money they paid, so it's all up to me to take the MD to court. MAKE SURE that, if you are self-pay (or even partial pay, with insurance) that you have your SIGNED CONTRACT that outlines what will be paid by whom....and make sure it doesn't have phrases like "additional procedures" worded into it as a loop-hole for the MD!!!!

You will likely do very well and feel great!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Im sorry you had to revise...I was originally going for the band & my surgeon advised against it in regards to long term results. I then went with sleeve but my reflux is too bad (after EGD). Now I've accepted bypass. Thanks much for your input & heads up on insurance!

I'm taking notes as well, here.

I lost 30lbs before I had my weightloss surgery, and honestly I wouldn't do anything different. I really don't miss anything in the way of food, but I do miss my coke zero. Good thing it doesn't taste the same. However, drinking a ton of it one month ahead wouldn't have made any difference to me. I'm really glad I lost those 30lbs. It helped me prepare for what was ahead of me. Good luck on your surgery. You'll do great!

I would not change a thing other than as others have said, having the surgery 20 years earlier.