Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Finally the light bulb went off a few months ago and I just decided, "this is it." My insurance would not cover me so I took money out of my 401k, putting a serious dent in it; however, I'd rather enjoy my life now rather than later (or never, I could always die young!). I went to an informational seminar, listened to the options and made an appointment for a consult with Dr. Snyder (Denver, CO). He was great, talked to me about my options, asked me "why now?," which was good to know he cared about that, and wasn't just after another paying patient - he is concerned that you are actually ready to make this huge change in your life. After meeting with the doc, I met with a case manager that outlined all the steps I need to take to make this happen. After making the final decision to do this and after my initial appointment with Dr. Snyder on April 23rd, my surgery date is quickly coming up Monday, July 21.

I honestly can't wait - I've been very big for a very long time and I'm ready to start living my life - hiking, riding a bike, fitting in an airplane seat, wearing pretty underwear, etc. I'm not sure what my 'official' high weight was, but I would guess I was right around 390-400 pounds a couple years ago; my current weight is 373. I've dodged some serious bullets - for instance, I don't have diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, or hypertension - but I know at age 46 I'm a ticking time bomb, and have started having joint pains; and carrying groceries up the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment has become a major chore.

I have a boyfriend of four years that has overall been supportive and caring, and he's behind me 1,000% on this. He's been a little 'too' supportive, I have to say. He says I'm a gem, but I'm still not sure how we ended up together - he has two BS degrees in exercise physiology and molecular biology, and is fanatical about weight training; me? not so much, lol. I have made some strides in the gym thanks to him, but with the surgery coming up he's driving me crazy about preparation, in the gym and outside the gym. He wants me in the gym 6 days a week 1-2 hours at a time and to go 90% liquid diet now, adding arginine, glutamine and citrulline to my Protein shakes to enhance healing. I'm a little stressed about that, to be honest. Right now my stomach is the same big hole and he wants me to pour nothing but liquids in there - it'll be a lot different after my RNY bypass, my stomach will be considerably smaller and I won't be hungry (which I'm looking forward to, honestly). Anyway, has anyone else had a partner/significant other that is overly pushy?

Other than dealing with his 'support' I feel really great about this decision and am very calm about it all - of course, I may fall apart the morning of surgery, lol. I'll be in the hospital 3-5 days - what did you guys wish you had taken in with you? Fan? Robe? Book? Anything I won't need at all? How did everyone spend their time, other than walking every couple of hours? I'm hoping to be on the low end of the pain scale, but I'm also having a umbilical hernia repair done, so that might complicate things a little.

Anyway, I've been getting a lot of great information reading the various forums, and really appreciate how supportive everyone is. I'll post my before pic when I do that next week, and will try to keep up with monthly after pics - I have a lot to lose (about 200 pounds), so it should be a pretty drastic change for me.

Good luck to everyone out there who is thinking about doing this, and a big thanks to all of you who are so involved in supporting the newbies like myself.

Melissa

Yea for you! Sounds like you are determined. So sounds like you have great supportive partner. Maybe we could clone him? Lol

Clone him? Naw, the world couldn't take two of this guy in the world! LOL You can just borrow him anytime you want. To misquote Henny Youngman - take my boyfriend...please! ;)

He actually is great most of the time, but with this coming up so soon we can't seem to have a conversation NOT having to do with what I should be doing in the gym, what I should or should not be putting in my mouth, etc. It's getting a little exhausting...

I TOO am having surgery July 21st. I am so excited. The closer I get the more excited I get. I am ready to get this done and over with.

Good luck to you....GOOD LUCK TO US!!

Yay, so close yet so far. I'm glad to have a pal on here going through the same thing at the same time! I have my pre-op on Monday the 14th, not sure if I'll be put on a special diet or not.

Right now I'm trying to replace 1-2 meals per day with Protein shakes, and be consistent with the gym. But am only hitting the gym 2-3 times per week. I'd like to feel good going in, especially since I'll have to take it easy for a few weeks after.

Let me know how you're doing, if you're freaking out, and what all you'll be taking to the hospital. Seems like I could practically move in but I'm sure I won't need most of what I'm thinking of taking.

:)

Hey Just Mel....

Omg.. I am on my two week pre-op and the beginning was HELL! I am on my 6th day and it has gotten significantly easier. I am VERY emotional, have at times, bad head hunger and I get really cranky - fast. I try and have 4 Protein shakes a day...sometimes I can only manage 3...but I try!

What am I bringing to the hospital? My mother bought me a new house-coat for the hospital (all I have are big fuzzy ones- too hot), my iPhone and charger, not sure if I will bring my tablet as I can do everything on my phone. Probably some socks of my own (I hate theirs), slippers, undies, extra night gown, toothbrush/paste, travel Shampoo/conditioner/soap, COMFORTABLE clothes to go home in, a magazine (or two) - I expect to be mostly sleeping and WALKING a lot! .. I will be in the hospital 3 days and 2 nights. (OH and for the drive home I am having my daughter bring a pillow - to hold against my stomach - for bumps in the road).

I am anxious... but excited...mostly READY to start my life again...kind of been just existing. Thoughts of the whole process consume my mind!

What are you bringing? How/what are you feeling?

Happy to have a pal on here also who shares the same day. YAY US!!

Can't wait to be a LOSER!!

Hi there,

Are you on the liver shrinking diet everyone seems to be talking about? Maybe that will slap me in the face on monday when I do the pre-op testing and meet with the surgeon. I went to a support group meeting at the hospital last week and should have asked the post-op guys what their situation was. I do know that my liver enzymes are good and that I don't have fatty liver syndrome so perhaps that's why no one has mentioned it. But I feel for you!

My boyfriend is staying with me until after the surgery and is driving me crazy, telling me I need to be 90% on liquids now to prepare mentally and physically, when all I is want is just to say goodbye to my favorite foods! Lol goodbye popcorn and diet coke at the movies, goodbye to a juicy steak, etc. He's looking out for me, I know, but is a serious buzzkill!

For the hospital I'm bringing clothes and teva sandals, toiletries, charger for my smart phone, a book and a cross-stitch I've been 'working' on for a few years. The pillow is a good idea. I don't have far to travel though, about 10 miles, how far are you? I've also thought of bringing a small fan, I get crabby when I'm hot, and usually hospitals are on the warm side with no air moving. I bought a big fluffy robe since I don't have anything but a silky sexy-ish robe, but I might return it...hard to imagine being comfortable walking around in a warm terry cloth robe.

Yes, I'll be up a lot walking too, my surgeon and nurse say a couple hours after surgery and a minimum of 6 times per day, and I guess there will be a couple post-op classes I'll be attending with other bariatric patients while I'm in. Same for me, about 2-3 days in, barring any complications. Which neither if us will have, right?? We're going to do great!

Hey Mel....

Ugh....Yes I am on THAT diet! And I am miserable! I am so emotional (more so than usual). The second day I actually CRIED because I would never again eat a Whopper with cheese....yes ..yes I did! On the bright side I only have 9 days left until my surgery. That means nine days plus two weeks more until I can have thicker liquid. Oh joy!

I know ALL about the food funeral. Only I think mine last a few months. The night prior to beginning my liquid diet I ate and ate and ate. Steak, fried potatoes, nachos, ice creams, DR PEPPER (NOT DIET)!! Yup I totally enjoyed myself. No wonder I am fat!

I am about 30 minutes to the hospital. Not too bad. As long as I don't have an emergency ...I am good. But I do have a local hospital around the corner (they do not do these surgeries there).

Bringing a fan is a great idea. I am always hot and have a small fan - thanks for the tip.

I have to meet with my surgeon a few days after the surgery...then I think like a week after that. Then I have a group meeting with my nutritionist along with other patients who have recently had the surgery.

I have been trying to remain positive and started a private Pinterest page for myself (thanks to my daughter - her idea). I post all sorts of clothes that are cute and I WANT to fit into as well as before and after pics of people that are an inspiration. It helps me when I feel down or get nervous ...I go there and look and pin more ideas. It has actually help to keep me focused and keeps me on the right track.

I am sure everything for us will be fine.... I am sending POSITIVE vibes out to you. We WILL do great! YAY US!!!

Hey Stacyann,

I had to do TWO weeks! I am on my 6th day. Everybody said the first few days were the hardest ... THAT IS THE TRUTH!

I am MUCH better now. I have to remember to get my four Protein shakes in every day. I am now at the point that I am SICK of the sweetness. I want spicy/savory. I did try the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup which was GREAT (especially with some hot pepper flakes) the nutritionist gave me a couple of samples. I wish I had more. Going to have some broth tonight.

All in all it is hard! But no one said this process as going to be easy.

I find I always try to have Water (with lime or lemon juice) or iced tea (unsweetened with lemon or lime juice) with me ALWAYS! Drinking tends to help me.

Best of luck to you ... can't wait until the 21st!!!

Yes..it is.... so READY!

Yes Ma'am...that we will.

One week from today can you believe it?? I am so nervous...BUT excited!