Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommitment Ceremony: Is It Time For Yours?

Next year my Husband and I will Celebrate our 20th year together, and to celebrate with all of our family and friends we have decided to have a Recommitment Ceremony. Yes, we are going to get Re-Married...

We are going to take our Vows again and freshen up on our agreement we took to one another two decades ago. Sometimes a “fresh start” rekindles those words spoken when they first occurred can remind us exactly what they meant to us.

But what about the Vows we took when we first took the plunge to seriously consider Weight Loss Surgery? Do you remember what you told yourself you would do way back when? Be truthful with yourself, are you still bound to these vows?

I remember mine, and the most distinct one for me was that I would NEVER go back to the old me. The obese me, the one who had no hope, who was miserable and feeling lost and scared of my own future. There were several others such as, I promise to work out and become fit for a stronger body. Even telling myself that no matter what, I would not let the scale dictate to me how amazing or awful a person I am. For the most part the scale often told me I was quite amazing (Ha!). I suppose maybe I did listen to the scale back then because it was fun to watch the weight melt away. During those times when the scale didn’t cooperate I used other means of measuring how well I was doing. I checked to see how my clothes were fitting; I kept a running measurement of every part of my body – even my neck and my wrist! Even a quarter inch loss in those areas made me feel better. Then there are the awesome side-by-side photos. Pictures don’t lie! They never did, and that’s probably why a lot of us hid from the cameras Pre-Op.

As the years go by Post-Op it really does become easier and easier to forget how we got to our goals and how we have maintained. It becomes easier to tell ourselves that indulging more and more is acceptable and before you know it the pounds creep back up. You will blink your eye and all of a sudden your clothes become tight and you notice a little comfortableness about yourself.

I personally have made a Re-commitment to myself not so long ago. I am 50 (and 1) Days into a No Sugar eating plan and I am back to regular routine workouts. Another agreement that I am re-committing to myself is that I will never again ignore the scale. Yes, it’s true I don’t allow the scale to make me feel bad about myself but it is a necessary tool to remind me that I need to make sure I don’t keep going up, or I will be like the mountain climber on The Price Is Right and yodel my way right off the chart cliff. Let’s just say my Re-commitment has done me well and I am more than on my way back to the champion I was a year or so ago. It feels good to take back the control and be reminded that my life depends on me keeping my promises. I needed this in order to take my future health serious.

Every day is Day 1, until you successfully make it to Day 2.

What were your most outstanding Vows that you recall? Are you still following them, or can you Re-commit to them? If you find yourself needing to Re-Commit, don’t wait! Take this moment to truly reflect on just how well you really are doing. Can you make some new commitments even?

This time write them all out on a piece of paper and make a contract with yourself to uphold the Vows of health and fitness with yourself, and sign it and date it. Read it aloud and if necessary show someone that you trust. Read it out to them and be upfront to them about what you are doing. Of course only you can ensure that you are upholding your end of the bargain to the healthy person inside.

Congrats on renewing your vows. I want to make a commitment to never go back to my old habits of eating I will eat healthier, take daily walks, and try to be a new improvement of myself. Try not to avoid mirrors after my weight loss. Be a happier me

What a great post! First, congratulations on renewing your vows with your husband, that's wonderful.

I'm currently on my "honeymoon" with my sleeve, and I have concerns about how I will be over time. I don't dwell on it. But posts like this are encouraging and eye-opening. And I remain hopeful. Thank you.

Be well…

Congrats Diva! Here's to the next 50 years!

Lynda

Excellent post and great food for thought. I'm only 4 months out so I'm still honey mooning with my sleeve. Congratulations on your recommitment ceremony, it's a great way to stay actively engaged in the marriage. My hubby and I have been married for 35 years and we'll be celebrating our anniversary on a Grecian Island as we lie on the beach and enjoy doing nothing. Good luck and thank you for the post.

I made a vow to never allow myself to self indulge in ANY food negatively again or let food take over my life!!!

This was a terrific read and exactly what I needed today!!