Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the right OCP for PCOS

I was on orthocyclen for 4 years until February. I was sleeved 2 years ago. I have lost 165 pounds but would like to lose 50 more. I have only lost 5 pounds in the last 6 months.

A year ago my period started coming early, first a day or two then a few days until it was coming a week early every month and I was basically having 3 weeks cycles. In January I had spotting or bleeding for 3 weeks. I finally went to the OBGYN. She said breakthrough bleeding is common after being on the same pill for a few years. She did not attribute it to anything to do with the PCOS or weight loss. She switched me to orthotricylcen for two months and I was still irregular. Then I was on lutera for a month. I had so many horrible side effects associated with my emotional and mental health. I did not have time to get back into the DR before a new pack would start so I decided to go off birth control this month. I could not handle another month feeling the way I did. I am going back to the DR tomorrow but I would like to have an idea of what pill I want to be on now because I don't want to keep doing trial and error month after month. This has already been going on long enough. I tried to do some research online but I am not finding anything conclusive about the right pill for women with PCOS.

Btw, I originally went to the OBGYN for an IUD but she discouraged me because she said since there is no estrogen in either kind (copper or mirena) it would not do anything for my PCOS symptoms such as acne, facial hair, etc.

Has anyone had a GOOD experience with a specific pill after some trial and error? I really really want to feel like myself again. This has been so frustrating!

I had the most long term sucess with Yaz, however due to the controversy surrounding it my dr suggested that I change, but I opted to keep using it and then after 4 years on it I started having some really bad TOM symptoms I hadn't had to deal with in years, so she switched me to Marlissa (http://www.drugs.com/pro/marlissa.html). I've been on it for about a year and a half now and I have had a lot of good sucess with it personally. It took about 2 months for me to regulate out hormonal wise when I switched to it, I was a mess at first, but after that initial rocky road of switching pills it's been good. I was told by a GYN once that for some people it takes 2-3 months for your body to fully adjust to a new pill, so maybe if it is at all tolerable give the next one a little longer shot and see if you make it over the hump. =)

Yaz made me crazy, and it gave me a bad case of erythema nodosum on one of my shins. Even after getting off Yaz, it took literal years for it to completely fade away.

Lo Lostrin treated me very well. No more perpetual psycho PMS and I was very very regular. The hormone levels are super low though, so you have to religiously take the pill at the same time every day to avoid pregnancy.

I was off the pill a month before surgery and about 2+ months after. I'm in my 4th pack of Lo Loestrin after restarting, and I'm still having a lot of break through bleeding. I'm going to give it a little more time. Hopefully I don't have to switch!