Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dilemma- Surgeon mask covering nose?

Hi all,

I am trying to decide on a surgeon and I found one that seems very competent, has good reviews, and is in my price range. The problem is he has a video up of him doing a surgery and his nose is not covered by his mask. No one in the operating room has their nose covered actually. Should this be a deal breaker? Or is it not that big of a deal? I checked several other videos and most surgeons have both mouth and nose covered even if wearing eye glasses. I did see one or two where someone other than the surgeon didn't have their nose covered.

In addition - I think I saw the first one (nose not covered) open a package of something - maybe a bandage - while wearing his gloves. Would that be an issue? I doubt the package would be sterilized on the outside like instruments are so....? What do you all think?

Hi Travelmego,

I saw the same thing when down there! I don't know if the infection rates are any different because of it. I thought not covering the nose may have been due to the temperature / humidity and better comfort with nose free. I have experienced a surgery in North America where my anesthetic Dr removed his mask & even walked away to look out the window! I had conscious sedation, so was awake. But he was not right over the surgical field. The Dr's also all wore cologne, & smelled nice, if you aren't sensitive to perfumes. All in all, I had a good experience. Good luck on your journey.

Thank you page. I am trying to decide between several doctors now. I wonder if this is 'ok' or considered bad.

I am a nurse, and for me yes that would be a hands down,definite deal breaker. Maybe to some people infection control is not high on the list of priorities, but for me, I would run

. Good for you for being so observant and recognizing that!

Hi all,

I am trying to decide on a surgeon and I found one that seems very competent, has good reviews, and is in my price range. The problem is he has a video up of him doing a surgery and his nose is not covered by his mask. No one in the operating room has their nose covered actually. Should this be a deal breaker? Or is it not that big of a deal? I checked several other videos and most surgeons have both mouth and nose covered even if wearing eye glasses. I did see one or two where someone other than the surgeon didn't have their nose covered.

In addition - I think I saw the first one (nose not covered) open a package of something - maybe a bandage - while wearing his gloves. Would that be an issue? I doubt the package would be sterilized on the outside like instruments are so....? What do you all think?

Thank you page. I am trying to decide between several doctors now. I wonder if this is 'ok' or considered bad.

It is bad. That was on a video when they were on their best behavior! What do you think they do when the camera is off? think about it.

Ok - that kinda decides it for me. The surgeon seems very nice but infection is a huge risk - even more so for a diabetic I think. I asked my primary care physician today about the nose/mask and he said run away. Good point on 'best behavior' @ life. .

If you're wanting Mexico, I just had surgery with Dr. Alvarez. I did an unbelievable amount of research. I'm 2 weeks out and I believe I made a great decision. Infection control, experience and success rate is how I based my decision. He is not the cheapest, and it is not in a Resort area, but he is in my opinion, the best. You can google his videos and see what they're like. I don't know if you are into country music, but Melissa Lawson went to him too.

Really, I want to give up. There seems to be something I don't like about every surgeon in my budget. Either it is a hospital associated with a surgeon I have deemed dodgy, or it is not a real hospital, or it is a real hospital but it looks meh, or or or.

I will check out Dr. Alvarez. I would love to go to Aceves or Ortiz but they are out of my budget range. Sigh.

I would be fine if a doctor wore a face shield. The problem is when there is nothing - no shield, no mask.

Here is a surgery where they are wearing shields. See the 4:50 min mark

Here is a regular heart surgery with the doctor wearing a mask and has glasses - all of the staff and he cover their noses.

Edited by Travelmego

A face shield is worn to protect the surgeon / dentist...it protects against splashes to the surgeons/ dentist eyes, mouth. The mask a surgeon wears protects the patient. It prevents airborn contaminants from entering the sterile field. If a surgeon does not cover his nose while doing surgery, I'm telling you, you are risking your life. The above poster who says the dentist uses a face shield therefor it is fine if a surgeon does is 100% wrong. All it takes is one little molecule of bacteria to get in that surgical area and you have yourself a possible abcess, which may not show up for some time. It is shady substandard and irresponsible practice. Anyone who allows a surgeon to do surgery on them, without remaining sterile is ..well, I'm sorry.... incredibly foolish. (Just my professional opinion)

Edited by lifeislikeaboxofchocolates

I accidentally double posted so removing this post

Edited by Travelmego

A face shield is worn to protect the surgeon / dentist...it protects against splashes to the surgeons/ dentist eyes, mouth. The mask a surgeon wears protects the patient. It prevents airborn contaminants from entering the sterile field. If a surgeon does not cover his nose while doing surgery, I'm telling you, you are risking your life. The above poster who says the dentist uses a face shield therefor it is fine if a surgeon does is 100% wrong. All it takes is one little molecule of bacteria to get in that surgical area and you have yourself a possible abcess, which may not show up for some time. It is shady substandard and irresponsible practice. Anyone who allows a surgeon to do surgery on them, without remaining sterile is ..well, I'm sorry.... incredibly foolish. (Just my professional opinion)

I appreciate your strong and professional feedback. Thank you for explaining the difference. I think I was the one that said about seeing a dentist use one but I took that part out before I saw this post. I had meant simply that I saw one with a shield - not to imply it was good enough for surgery.

The face shield I meant that might be good enough for surgery is the helmet like one in that first video. Do you think that type is ok? It is at 4:50. I haven't seen any surgeons doing the bariatric use that style....this video shows a heart operation - I was just looking for face shields to see an example.

Ok, I have watched videos by many of the docs in Mexico. I have yet to find one where all of the staff have their nose covered - and that includes Pompa, and Aceves (and maybe Alvarez) - and those guys are considered the best. Sigh. I still want to go to Mexico.

Travelmego,

I am a RN with a strong infection control background. I saw the exact same video and I saw some still shots with the nose uncovered. It was a group in Tijuana, I believe. Anyway, I ask the question to the group, and they seemed unresponsive to my question. Felt like it was no big deal !!!

I can tell you IT IS A BIG DEAL !! I would be horrified if I discovered a member of my surgical team had their nose uncovered during my surgery... I chose to stay clear of this particular group. The risk of infection is very high when the mouth or nose is uncovered ..................

I am going to STAR MEDICA HOSPITAL – Juarez Mexico with Dr. Rodriquez through BeLiteWeight.com, and they are financing for me........... Check out their video, Dr. Rodriquez has one of the entire surgery on YouTube, and I watched every second of it, twice. Their surgical procedure was spot on, as far as infection control. Also, this hospital is used by our U.S. embassy.

Do you have a link to the surgery video? How much did they cost?

I found the video of him doing surgery and u are right - everyone has their nose covered. I saw one girl sitting far in the back uncovered her nose for just a second and then covered it again - so I would give them a 99 percent on covering. Much better than anyone else so far.

I feel kind of weird being so focused on this aspect and that maybe I am over reacting....... but how else are we supposed to judge sanitation other than with the videos they put up? Risk of infection is so great everywhere we have to try to find the safest place we can go right?

Look here from the CDC website discussing MRSA: "Studies show that about one in three people carry staph in their nose, usually without any illness...." http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/community/

And here is another good article: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/10634.php

Edited by Travelmego