Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 06 Bandsters~April Chat!

11 months already? Where did it go??

I am now down 75 pounds and only 35 to go! I was hoping to hit 100 gone by my bandiversary but with the complications I had with my leak I will gladly take 75! That means I only have 35 more to go till my "goal" of 170. Wooohoo!

Happy (late) Easter my friends!

Easter dinner was good, I didn't overdo it thankfully. But my mom made turkey and ham roast. The ham was good, but the turkey got suck! Later when my mom was packing up leftovers (you know how moms are) for us to take home, I told her not to give us any turkey. My dad asked why, "didn't you like it?". I said yes the the only thing it "went down" was the sink! Ouch! I took a long walk with my sister after dinner, at least an hour.

Hey guys, Happy April! :) One month til our Bandiversaries. wow, Where has the time gone? Hope everyone os doing well. Thanks Amy for keeping this going for us :( Here is an updated pic. I took it to show my new hair style. I have had a buzz cut for the last 12 years, so this is all new to me. I went to the stylist Saturday for the first time in forever. Pardon the cheesy smile. I took it with my cell.

haircut2.jpg

Happy April everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Easter! Mine was good.

Amy - Thanks for starting the new thread. Congrats on being 35 lbs from goal, that is awesome! April kinda snuck up on me, how about you guys?

Neal - looking great! I like the hair, and your smile isn't cheesy! How is life at goal? Are you maintaining or still losing?

Well... I went to a support group meeting for bandsters yesterday. I hadn't been in a few months, but I'm so glad that I went yesterday. The topic was "Body Image". This is something that I am currently struggling with. I still see and feel really fat even though I get comments daily about how different I look. I have run in to a few people who didn't recognize me. This is weird... I do feel better after the support group, though. Below is some literature that our support group leader handed out. I thought it might be helpful to some of you guys who may be struggling with Body Image as well....

Looking fat…developing a healthy body Image.

If asked to describe yourself, what would you say? Would you talk of the twinkle in your eye or the color of your hair or the way your mouth turns up on one side when you smile? Would you mention how you carry yourself? Would you describe your stature as being petite or average or tall? When or if you talk about your weight, would you mention a number or make a joke, and excuse or in some way explain or justify your weight? How would you describe yourself?

Your personal body image is based on your feelings, thoughts and beliefs. You have had and continue to have many influences which shape you body image. Your family's value system, how well they managed to consistently accept you and how functional they were all played a part. Also, your peers through school and other activities and the society in which you grew up each impacted your self view. From these influences, you have (most of the time) unknowingly framed your body image.

Please know that disparaging comments, parents holding expectations that the children are to make them happy and media images about the "ideal" male or female body contribute to the development of a negative body image.

Do you know what your body image is? Take a moment and write down two feelings, two thoughts and two beliefs you hold about your body.

To further enhance your awareness of your body image, choose a day and make a log of the thoughts you have about yourself. Put the thoughts in columns of positive and negative. Look for thoughts about your body and take note of how many are in each column. Do you have more affirming or degrading thoughts about your body?

If you have discovered that you need to develop a consistently positive body image, consider the following:

· Limit time watching television

· Challenge Negative Self Talk

· Use Affirmations

· Connect with your body through movement (exercise)

· Seek counseling, if needed, to confront old shame and hurts

· Acknowledge and accept all of yourself

· Eat in front of a mirror

· Choose to be your own defender and advocate against assaults on your body image

10 “Will-Powers” for Improving Body Image

1. Twice a day, everyday, I WILL ask myself ”Am I benefiting from focusing on what I believe are the flaws in my body weight or shape?”

2. I WILL think of three reasons why it is ridiculous for me to believe that thinner people are happier or “better”. I will repeat these reasons to myself whenever I feel the urge to compare my body shape to someone.

3. I WILL spend less and less time in front of mirrors – especially when they are making me feel uncomfortable and self-conscious about my body.

4. I WILL exercise for the joy of feeling my body move and grow stronger. I will not exercise simply to lose weight, purge fat from my body, or to “make-up” for calories I have eaten.

5. I WILL participate in activities that I enjoy, even if they call attention to my weight and shape. I will constantly remind myself that I deserve to do things I enjoy, like dancing, swimming, etc., no matter what my shape or size is!

6. I WILL refuse to wear clothes that are uncomfortable or that I do not like but wear simply because they divert attention from my weight or shape. I will wear clothes that are comfortable and that make me feel comfortable in my body.

7. I WILL list 5-10 good qualities that I have such as understanding, intelligence, or creativity. I will repeat these to myself whenever I start to feel bad about my body.

8. I WILL practice taking people seriously for what they say, feel, and do. Not for how slender or “well put together” they appear.

9. I WILL surround myself with people and things that make me feel good about myself and my abilities. When I am around people and things that support me and make me feel good, I will be less likely to base my self-esteem on the way my body looks.

10. I WILL treat my body with respect and kindness. I will feed it, keep it active, and listen to its needs. I will remember that my body is the vehicle that will carry me to my dreams!

I WILL CHOOSE TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF AND MY BODY!

Ten Steps To Positive Body Image

One list can not automatically tell you how to turn negative body thoughts into positive body image, but it can help you think about new ways of looking more healthfully and happily at yourself and your body. The more you do that, the more likely you are to feel good about whom you are and the body you naturally have.

1. Appreciate all that your body can do. Every day your body carries you closer to your dreams. Celebrate all of the amazing things your body does for you – running, dancing breathing, laughing, dreaming, etc.
  2. Keep a top – 10 list of things you like about yourself – things that aren’t related to how much you weigh or what you look like. Read your list often. Add to it as you become aware of more things to like about you.
  3. Remind yourself that “true beauty” is not simply skin-deep. When you feel good about yourself and who you are, you carry yourself with a sense of confidence, self-acceptance, and openness that makes you beautiful regardless of whether you physically look like a supermodel. Beauty is a state of mind, not a state of your body.
  4. Look at yourself as a whole person. When you see yourself in a mirror or in your mind, choose not to focus on specific body parts. See yourself as you want others to see you – as a whole person.
  5. Surround yourself with positive people. It is easier to feel good about yourself and your body when you are around others who are supportive and who recognize the importance of liking yourself just as you naturally are.
  6. Shut down those voices in your head that tell you your body is not “right” or that you are a “bad” person. You can overpower those negative thoughts with positive ones. The next time you start to tear yourself down, build yourself back up with a few quick affirmations that work for you.
  7. Wear clothes that are comfortable and that make you feel good about your body. Work with your body, not against it.
  8. Become a critical viewer of social and media messages. Pay attention to images, slogans, or attitudes that make you feel bad about yourself or your body. Protest these messages: write a letter to the advertiser or talk back to the image or message.
  9. Do something nice for yourself – something that lets your body know you appreciate it. Take a bubble bath, make time for a nap, and find a peaceful place outside to relax.
  10. Use the time and energy that you might have spent worrying about food, calories, and your weight to do something to help others. Sometimes reaching out to other people can help you feel better about yourself and can make a positive change in our world.

Thanks guys,

Kim- Life at goal is still a struggle, probably always will be :confused: I have maintained ok. I still weigh daily and make sure I stay between 175 and 180. I treat myself a little more than I used to, but not too much. And I don't freak out if I go up a pound or two, just make sure I am good for a couple of days.

I think I have gotten to where I like my picture taken now. That is the only time I see my new self. It is really strange, looking in the mirror, I still see the old me and only in pics can I see such a change. Weird, huh?

Hey Neal! Yep, it is wierd. Wow 175! That is great! Do you think you will be able to maintain with your current fill level for a while. I'm so proud of you and happy for you!

Hey Neal! Yep, it is wierd. Wow 175! That is great! Do you think you will be able to maintain with your current fill level for a while. I'm so proud of you and happy for you!

I should be able to maintain with this fill level. Its a hard transition because I kept to such a strict diet during the loss, its hard mentally to allow myself a few extra calories or non-diet foods

Thanks for your encouragement. :confused:

WOW I fell off the bandster wagon last weekend and I am having a real hard time climbing back on.

I just can't seem to get the junk food outta my head or off my plate.:omg:

Gotta try harder.

How is everybody else doing?

Myra

Myra - I can relate! I HAVE GOT TO STOP EATING CHOCOLATE!!

I am very frustrated right now! I'm averaging around 1200-1350 calories daily, drinking at least 80 ounces of Water daily and exercising at least 6 hours a week(3 cardio, 3 weight training), and I"M STILL AT 211! I can't figure it out... here is my average calories, carbs, fat and Protein for this week (from fitday.com)...Calories:1342 Fat: 53 Carbs:155 Protein:65. Am I really skewed somewhere? Too much fat or carbs? Not enough Protein? Help! What do you guys think? My clothes seem to be getting a little looser.. Any advice or constructive criticism is welcome! I gotta get moving to meet or even come close to my May goal!

Hey Maysters,

I've been crazy busy lately. I got down to 168 but I have been fluctuating 5 lbs over the past 2 weeks and it is driving me crazy. Easter was rough for me because I had a bit of an unfill a few weeks ago so I could pretty much eat what I wanted. I really hoped to be 100 down by my 1 yr bandiversary but seeing how that is 3 weeks away, I know it won't happen. Heck, I'd just like to be 90 lb down which is attainable if I could stop battling this stubborn 5 that keeps going up and down.

Neal I love your hair. Kim, maybe you aren't eating enough. Here is what I use to gauge my calorie intake. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Hey Alicia ! Great to hear from you. Sorry about those 5 pounds, I can relate... Man the scales get frustratig sometimes don't they? Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. You may be right in that I'm not eating enough... I pigged out on Saturday (okay..if you can call 1700 calories, "pigging out"), and dropped another pound! This stuff is crazy. I think I'll try the zig-zagging my calories thing. I'll keep you posted and thanks again.

Keep up the great work Maysters! Our bandivrsary month is rapidly approaching!