Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you tell people that you were having lap band surgery ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you tell people that you were having lap band surgery ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only family

Hello EVERYONE !

My name is Megan, and i am a 3rd year pre-med student in college who just had gastric band surgery on Wednesday 4/4/07. :clap2: I had my surgery at Celebration Hospital in Orlando. Dr.Marma was my preforming surgeon. My surgery went well and my recovery has been good too. Well accept for the lackthereof Bowel Movements . . . :) But im really not sure what im going to do in class tomorrow. I have classes tomorrow from 7am - 3pm straight, what can i tell people as an excuse for missing classes last week and wearing sweatpants for 2 days ?

HI,

Good luck on your banding....and I am so glad you have this opportunity at a young age. I have roller coastered for most of my 52 years.

I have told most people that know me at work etc I got banded....I have to clarify with them the fact I will not pick up anything heavy for the 6 week period. I am not going to ruin my investment.

Share what feels right for you!!!

Congrats on banding!

As for telling.. only tell what and who you feel comfortable with. I would mention to you teachers in private so that they know what is going on and will work with you if need be.

I have only told my direct boss, close family and the 3 ladies that I trust and carpool with. Others are asking why I am taking off and what am I doing and I just say "not much".. I figure when I return to work and it will be obvious that I did more then "not much" that I will just say I had adbominal surgery. Most of the folks I work with I am not close to so that will get the message across that I don't plan on telling them.

Good Luck!

Only tell people if you are comfortable with them knowing. It is a personal decision and no one else's business. At first, I didn't want anyone to know but decided my family would know something was up so I decided to tell them but ask them to not tell anyone. Unfortunately, my family can't seem to keep their mouths closed so people found out. It wasn't such a bad thing though. I now tell openly about my surgery and for the most part, I have received only positive comments. My feelings are if I can help one person learn about lap band surgery that is in need of it, it's worth all the negative comments I may endure. Good luck to you on your journey and know that we are all here for you!

I told my mom, who is quite elderly, that I had hiatal hernia surgery (which is similar). I didn't want her to worry about all the banding pros/cons, etc. but I had to explain my absence for those few days. People at work, I only told my boss...said was having 'minor surgery' and would be out for a week; people who didn't need to know anything I said I was just going to take some vacation for a few days...and some of them are my very best friends!! Only told hubby, kids, and 2 girlfriends....all very supportive.

Best of luck to you.

I didnt tell anyone,

Not family or friends. Only my husband and physician know. A friend of mine had her surgery and a hernia repair at the same time so she just informed them of the hernia repair.

Hello and welcome!

Here's a link to another poll like yours, I though you might be interested to see what some responses have been out there.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/did-you-tell-t19294.html

To tell or not to tell is a very frequently asked question here. It's a very personal decision. I have chosen to tell only my DH and my parents. Two friends who are also considering it have been told I'm thinking about it. But when it comes time to be banded, I think only my DH and folks will know. I almost wish I hadn't told my mother, she's a hard one to keep quiet. :confused:

I chose not to tell because I personally don't want someone policing what I eat (even trying to be nice) and I don't want to have someone asking me every time they see me how much weight I've lost, or why I am not losing as fast as Jane who had bypass did, etc...

But again, it's a personal decision. I know lots of folks wanted to shout it from the rooftops, and I give them loads of credit!

Every other aspect of my life is a wide open book, you can ask me just about anything, and I'l tell ya, but for some reason, I'm keeping this mum.

I was gonna say....tell them you had a Nissen Fundiplication (sp?) or hiatal hernia repair. That explains eating carefully and all the quirks that go with having a band, indigestion, etc.

Congratulations and good luck!

As far as missing class goes, just explain that you had minor surgery and needed to recover, but you are feeling better now :D Then ask what you can do to get caught up. As far as wearing sweat pants-- don't even worry about it. Just say you are in a laundry avoidance phase. Or feeling lazy. Or bloated due to menstrual issues. Or nothing at all. Nobody would notice if I just started wearing sweats! I just tell people that they should be happy I bother to get dressed at all in the mornings :confused:

I too had to miss one week of class for the surgery. Then I missed two more weeks due to illness right after that. I feel fine from the surgery by now! Its this stomach flu or my gallbladder or whatever thats killing me! Since I've missed oh so much class I'm going to tell my instructor a little more than just minor surgery. But if I had just missed the one week I would have left it at that.

I am in school too and I told them it was a hernia. as for family-I told them no problem-they are all supportive in their own way.