Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Canadian considerations for Lap-Band?

I know there is a board for introductions but I wanted to introduce myself to other Canadians :canada:and possibly get some Canadian cost questions answered.

I'm Holly :wave: and I've been considering gastric banding for over a year now.

I recently contacted The Surgical Weight Loss Center in Mississauga to ask about cost. Well, they quoted me $200 for the consult and $16,000 :eek for the Band, including follw-ups (does that mean "Fills"?) and not including the pre-op Optifast.< /span>

So my first question is........does that price sound about right?

Has anyone here had OHIP cover the cost of their Band? I was told that OHIP will no way, no how cover this procedure.:)

FYI: I'm in London. I appreciate any and all help and suggestions :)

Hi Holly. Welcome. From what I understand the SWLC's price of $16K included fills. I also believe that the $200 for the consult wil be included in the 16K if you go with them. I have chosen TLBC in Toronto and they too charge $16K including fills and follow up - consult was free.

You are correct that OHIP will not pay any portion of this procedure. You will find much discussion about ow stupid that is - but such is the case.

I suggest you read lots of posts on the forum before you make this decision. Best of luck to you!

Susan

Welcome Holly. I have my surgery scheduled with Dr. Cobourn on May 9. The cost of 16k is correct. This is what I have paid so far:

Phone Consult with Dr. C - $200

Deposit for surgery date - $500

Optifast (2 wk supply) - $140 (this varies, some people get 3 weeks)

Shipping to Calgary - $28.45

The balance of $15,300 is due 2 weeks prior to surgery

I didn't know about the $500 deposit ahead of time so it was quite a surprise. I think they have changed their poilices lately as I know from reading previous posts that you didn't have to pay for the surgery until the day of the surgery. Now it's due 2 weeks prior.

Anyway, good luck in your decision making. Do lots of research and pick the surgeon and clinic that you feel will best suit your needs. Sounds like you will be going to the surgery clinic for followup, support and fills so make sure you are comforatble with them. I am from out of province so I will not be getting follow up care at the surgery clinic.

This is all absolutely correct. I had my banding done by Dr. Cobourn in Mississauga on Feb 28. He is very nice and explains things very well. I do highly recommend him.

It is true that the cost of the Optifast is additional, but when you are already spending $16k then a couple hundred more is not that much of a difference!!!

Unfortunately, OHIP does NOT cover any portion of this. I still do not understand why the Canadian government covers the dangerous gastric bypass and not this... However, you WILL be able to claim this as a medical deduction on your income taxes next year!!

As for paying, yes, the balance (minus the $200 consult and the $500 down payment) is due 2 weeks before surgery and a credit card CANNOT be used. It must be done through bank draft... that is if you are not getting it financed through their service.

Although quite expensive I would do this all over again. Good luck if you decide to go through with the Lapband procedure.

P.S. Not to deter you but the Optifast is horrible (three weeks of that stuff was not fun)... make sure to get flavour extracts, they REALLY help!!! On the plus side, the Optifast really helps you lose a bunch of weight!!

TLBC takes credit cards. But it would be wise to call your credit card company ahead of time and give them a heads up on the charge.

Another point is that at the TLBC you do not go on Optifast, for your pre-surgery diet is yougurt and cottage cheese. At least it was 13 months ago. If needed you can have Broiled skinless boneless chicken ( I cooked in a George Forman Grill with garlic and lemon juice) once a day. That would save the cost of the others pre-surgery diet food. Sounds like it would save you about $140. from other posts. I am not sure of the true cost of their optifast, but at least the TLBC foods gives you some different flavors and foods so your are not so sick of the same thing every day. Good luck with your choice. Smiley

Yes the pre-surgery diet at TLBC is still cottage cheese and yogourt. It was for me a year ago and is for Mr Yoda (who is being banded next month). The only thing that differs is the length of the time you are on the pre-op diet (I believe it is dependent on your starting weight). For instance, mine was 2 weeks, Mr Yoda's is for 10 days and I've heard of others who did it for 3 weeks.

Careful re. the chicken thing; they will tell you whether you can have it or not (again, dependant on each individual's circumstance). For instance, I was allowed to have chicken and any green veg for the first week of my 2 week pre-op diet. Mr Yoda, on the other hand is not allowed to have that; yogurt/cottage cheese only. So, it isn't a "blanket" thing that applies to all.

I fully concur with the comment about the Optifast. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I did the entire optifast program several yrs ago and I so I know of what I speak (ie. having done both)....and I would chose the cottage cheese/yougurt diet over optifast ANY DAY!!! And for me...it was just yougurt because I can't stand the site, smell or taste of cottage cheese!! But I still preferred eating JUST yogurt over having to go thru the optifast.

Also, to me it makes no sense to "MAKE" people do optifast (and pay for it) when the same goal (ie. making the liver smaller) can be achieved via other means....ya know? I'm not dissing Dr. Cobourn's clinic in any way but I do wonder if they have some sort of "deal" going on with optifast....ya know?

Okay...that was my 2 cents worth (maybe a loonie!).

Thanks yoda. Didn't know they give different people different pre-surgery diets. I thought it was the same for everyone. I was even allowed, only once a day, the cottage cheese with the fruit bottom. Tropical fruit being the best. Cottage cheese is not my favorite either, but the fruit really helped. I have never tried the Optifast, but the bottom line is the TLBC pre-surgery diet is cheaper.

All the staff is great, and the fact that most of the staff have been banded and have the before pictures to prove it. That alone was very comforting to me. I had done lots of research before hand, but seeing their pictures really convinced me this was the right thing for me. I didn't know about these web sites until just recently, and have learned so much from everyone on both sites. I wish I had known about them earlier, then I wouldn't have felt so alone being from a rural area about 2 1/2 hours from Toronto. Thanks again. Smiley

Also, to me it makes no sense to "MAKE" people do Optifast (and pay for it) when the same goal (ie. making the liver smaller) can be achieved via other means....ya know? I'm not dissing Dr. Cobourn's clinic in any way but I do wonder if they have some sort of "deal" going on with optifast....ya know?

Personally, I did not find the optifast to be that bad now that I look back at it, and I had to do 3 weeks. Honestly, I think the reason why SWLC uses the Optifast is to make it easy on people, and make the program as automated as possible.

Let's face it, those of us who have had, or are going to have WLS dont really have the healthiest realtionship with food. That is how many of us got to the point of wanting/needing WLS. I think for many people, if there was more selection on the pre-op diet, it would make it harder on some people as to what to eat and not eat and make them less likey to stick to the program. I am also like the ketosis that is induced by the optifast, it really helps with stopping my food cravings.

There is more than one way to skin a cat errr. shrink a liver.

Andrew

There is more than one way to skin a cat errr. shrink a liver.

Andrew

I fully concur! I just think it should be the patient's choice!