Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone after you had your surgery did you get hot and cold flashes like when you go threw menopause??? I'm 36 and its too early for me to go threw the change of women hood but it feels like I am??? Did anyone else experience this????

Yes I did. I was thinking it was menopause and maybe it is but it could just be the recovery from surgery and getting the anesthesia out of our systems. Whewwww, who ever said this was taking the easy route doesn't have a clue.

Yup. While I was still on pain meds I would get hot flashes. I think it's just the anesthesia and pain meds in our system still, cause I'm freezing alllllllll the time now!

Yup. While I was still on pain meds I would get hot flashes. I think it's just the anesthesia and pain meds in our system still, cause I'm freezing alllllllll the time now!

OK but I'm a week and a half post op, been off pain meds for a week now and still feel this way? Last night I literally slept with 2 pairs of sweat pants, 2 pairs of Sox, 3 shirts on of which was a hoodie, and I almost got up to get a pair of mittens and then I had my blanket curled all around me tight??? Idk what is going on??? Its very true this is definitely not the easy way out this has been the most difficult thing I've done ever so far!!!!

I used to be HOT ALL the time before surgery. I hated it. I'm a CNA, and nursing student, and it's really embarrassing when you're the only one always sweating. So I guess I'm happy that I'm always cold now. Yeah, sometimes I'm like hot sh!t I'm so c old my feet and hands are going to be icicles, but for now, I'm loving it. Besides doing some kind of workout I haven't broken a sweat since maybe a week out two after surgery, and I couldn't be happier. I used to sweat just getting ready in the morning. Gross!

I used to be HOT ALL the time before surgery. I hated it. I'm a CNA, and nursing student, and it's really embarrassing when you're the only one always sweating. So I guess I'm happy that I'm always cold now. Yeah, sometimes I'm like hot sh!t I'm so c old my feet and hands are going to be icicles, but for now, I'm loving it. Besides doing some kind of workout I haven't broken a sweat since maybe a week out two after surgery, and I couldn't be happier. I used to sweat just getting ready in the morning. Gross!

Sarahjane being hot could have been from all that extra fat you had on your body that made you sweat like that? I know I am the exact same way but I wasn't always hot? But I've been having hot & cold flashes?

Sarahjane being hot could have been from all that extra fat you had on your body that made you sweat like that? I know I am the exact same way but I wasn't always hot? But I've been having hot & cold flashes?

Definitely. I also think it had a lot to do with what we ate. Because I started feeling cooler while on my 2 week pre op diet.

But especially those first couple weeks after surgery, or bodies are all sorts of confused. I'm sure the flashes will stop soon. I hope they do for you! I'm actually happy I'm cold all the time. Maybe I can save on my electric bill this summer for once!

Definitely. I also think it had a lot to do with what we ate. Because I started feeling cooler while on my 2 week pre op diet.

But especially those first couple weeks after surgery, or bodies are all sorts of confused. I'm sure the flashes will stop soon. I hope they do for you! I'm actually happy I'm cold all the time. Maybe I can save on my electric bill this summer for once!

Yeah I think that's true but I have been so sick all I can eat is the popcicles??? I feel awful my staples hurt and I have talked to my doc and he says its all normal???

Yeah I think that's true but I have been so sick all I can eat is the popcicles??? I feel awful my staples hurt and I have talked to my doc and he says its all normal???

I'm sorry you're sick! At least you're getting in some fluids though. I just went back to popsicles, as I have a hard time getting my fluids in.

I didn't have any staples in my incisions. But at 5.5 weeks out my biggest incision on the left still hurts. I can't vend over very far, if I move in certain ways it feels like things are ripping apart, I have a hard time sleeping comfortably in bed. My surgeon has told me all of this is normal, and I could have pain there for up to 6 months. Uggggg. Its making it difficult to work out, as it hurts to even put socks on, let alone tie my running shoes! If only I could workout in flip flips.... Hahaha

My doc has said to take my pain meds if needed. I have the last couple nights at bed time. Hasn't helped a bunch, but does help a little. I'm actually thinking of asking my doc for a muscle relaxer. Cause I need to workout, and if I can barely bend over, its not going to be very effective. I feel like the "ripping" feeling is from the muscles being too tight. We'll see.

Edited by Sarahjane79

I'm sorry you're sick! At least you're getting in some fluids though. I just went back to popsicles, as I have a hard time getting my fluids in.

I didn't have any staples in my incisions. But at 5.5 weeks out my biggest incision on the left still hurts. I can't vend over very far, if I move in certain ways it feels like things are ripping apart, I have a hard time sleeping comfortably in bed. My surgeon has told me all of this is normal, and I could have pain there for up to 6 months. Uggggg. Its making it difficult to work out, as it hurts to even put socks on, let alone tie my running shoes! If only I could workout in flip flips.... Hahaha

My doc has said to take my pain meds if needed. I have the last couple nights at bed time. Hasn't helped a bunch, but does help a little. I'm actually thinking of asking my doc for a muscle relaxer. Cause I need to workout, and if I can barely bend over, its not going to be very effective. I feel like the "ripping" feeling is from the muscles being too tight. We'll see.

Your main incision is on the left side??? Mine is right down the middle and itls like 3 inches long and it hurts and the staples hurt!!! I can only sleep on my back without pain and I have always been a stomach sleeper??? Then my hubby broke his toe yesterday and we had to go to the hospital cause he is such a baby but he got vicodin for the pain and I took one last night, best sleep I got in a long time!!! I have a question after having all those meds pumped into me is it possible to get a yeast infection from that as I've never had one but it felt like I did so I used that med for it but it hasn't gone away? Seeing your a nurse????

Your main incision is on the left side??? Mine is right down the middle and itls like 3 inches long and it hurts and the staples hurt!!! I can only sleep on my back without pain and I have always been a stomach sleeper??? Then my hubby broke his toe yesterday and we had to go to the hospital cause he is such a baby but he got vicodin for the pain and I took one last night, best sleep I got in a long time!!! I have a question after having all those meds pumped into me is it possible to get a yeast infection from that as I've never had one but it felt like I did so I used that med for it but it hasn't gone away? Seeing your a nurse????

Yeah. Did you have an open procedure? I just had 5 incisions, pretty small, but the one on the left side is where they pulled my stomach out, so it's bigger than the one rest and hurts.

I broke my pinky toe one summer. Worst pain. Mostly because it would finally be "ok" and I'd stub It all over again. Worst summer. Haha. And yeah. I'm a side sleeper. sleeping on my back is terrible and I find I'll only sleep for maybe a couple hours in that position. It's hit or miss (mostly miss lately) on if I can at least sleep on my right side. Lately my sleep has been terrible. :(

And yes. I totally got a yeast Infection after surgery. Luckily it wasn't itchy... but I had to go through 2 rounds of the antibiotics they give for it. And I'm not a nurse yet. Someday! :) still in school for it:) but luckily I have have a few nurse friends and friends that are almost done with the nursing program at school.

Edited by Sarahjane79

Yeah. Did you have an open procedure? I just had 5 incisions, pretty small, but the one on the left side is where they pulled my stomach out, so it's bigger than the one rest and hurts.

I broke my pinky toe one summer. Worst pain. Mostly because it would finally be "ok" and I'd stub It all over again. Worst summer. Haha. And yeah. I'm a side sleeper. sleeping on my back is terrible and I find I'll only sleep for maybe a couple hours in that position. It's hit or miss (mostly miss lately) on if I can at least sleep on my right side. Lately my sleep has been terrible. :(

And yes. I totally got a yeast Infection after surgery. Luckily it wasn't itchy... but I had to go through 2 rounds of the antibiotics they give for it. And I'm not a nurse yet. Someday! :) still in school for it:) but luckily I have have a few nurse friends and friends that are almost done with the nursing program at school.

No I had it laproscopic but he said that once he got past all the fat that I am a tiny girl on the inside and that's why he had to make such a large incision?? Me tiny girl was always told I was big boned??? Guess I was wrong??? OK good to know about the yeast infection cause I have one tried that monistat 1 and it hasn't helped? I have a doc Appt this week and I'll ask him about it!!!

Another thing to consider is that hormones are stored in fat cells so with rapid weight loss there is also a surge of hormones released which could account for the hot flashes.

Prior to surgery, I had no hot flashes. 6 months post op, hot flashes began & cycle was MIA. Now I'm close to 18 months post op, hot flashes continues & cycle is a hit or miss. Major hormonal changes. Other than that, I still love my sleeve!!!!!