Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any suggestions for 1st week.

Had surgery Thursday so I am post op day 2. I've managed to get the following in but pretty sure I am no where near goal. Suggestion please. Also, it is expected not to make goal the first week right???

Herbal tea - 1/2 of mug

2 sugar free Popsicles

1/2 cup of cream chicken Soup

3/4 of a pure Protein shake ( 23g)

1/2 of Atkins shake (15g)

Power aid zero (just a small amount)

Definitely not enough Water. I feel like I've sipped all day long. I even feel kind of full. I've had pain and belching with most sips. Gas is mobilizing so that helps. I hope this gets easier or I'll never make Protein or Fluid goals. Is this normal for just home from hospital. Technically I can have full liq or purees but I'm too scared to try anything too thick since it hurts hitting my sleeve. Can't wait to eat retried beans! Gonna wait a while but that sounds so good.

The first week is hard. It looks like you are doing well for being only 2 days out! Right now, the focus is Fluid, it is REALLY hard to get all the Protein in for the first couple weeks. Also, just because you are cleared for pureeds doesn't mean you have to do it. If it feels wrong, just stay on clears for awhile. As far as Water goes, I love crystal light. I can't drink just plain water.

It will get better everyday. You will take in more and more as you heal. You don't have to push too hard on the liquids right now as you are probably over loaded from I.V. fluids. Over the course of the next week or so you will be able to get in most of your Fluid goal. Remember, 64 oz. of Fluid includes your shakes, Soups, and Water. At least that is what my surgeon stated. Here is a simple test to see if you are dehydrated. When you pee, is it pale or dark? Dark, not Vitamin neon yellow, urine is a sign of dreaded dehydration. If it is dark you definitely need to drink every seconds of the day until it gets really pale again.

You are going to do fine.

Had surgery Thursday so I am post op day 2. I've managed to get the following in but pretty sure I am no where near goal. Suggestion please. Also, it is expected not to make goal the first week right???

Herbal tea - 1/2 of mug

2 sugar free Popsicles

1/2 cup of cream chicken Soup

3/4 of a pure Protein shake ( 23g)

1/2 of Atkins shake (15g)

Power aid zero (just a small amount)

You seem to be doing very well. Just keep at the Water and it will become easier. I still can't drink plain Water, I have to put Kool Aid drops or crystal lite in the water just so I can drink it. With time it all gets easier. This is all a learning process so take it one thing at a time. Keep trying things and if you can tolerate them.. put them on your easy list. The things you can't tolerate, just put them off for another week or two. Don't rush anything. Good luck.

Definitely not enough water. I feel like I've sipped all day long. I even feel kind of full. I've had pain and belching with most sips. Gas is mobilizing so that helps. I hope this gets easier or I'll never make Protein or Fluid goals. Is this normal for just home from hospital. Technically I can have full liq or purees but I'm too scared to try anything too thick since it hurts hitting my sleeve. Can't wait to eat retried beans! Gonna wait a while but that sounds so good.

Sorry, I don't understand why my post showed up in the middle of your post. Doesn't make sense...but it happened. LOL

Thank you all!

watch the Atkins shakes.. They are very very high in fat.

i suggest patience and let your body heal before you sart focusing on losing weight...it will come in time..

go slow, sip and sip and keep on sipping.......congrats on your surgery

watch the Atkins shakes.. They are very very high in fat.

Fat is not the problem, your body (especially your brain) required fat. Sugar is the problem, in any form. As a matter of fact, a lot of people who suffer from seizure disorders are placed on a high fat, mid Protein, extreme low carb diet and they either have remission of seizure or a remarkable decrease. Fat was demonized in the early 90's with the low fat diet craze which was a complete failure for so many of us. I would gather to say that the fat in the Atkins shake is very acceptable. What are the calories of the shake? What is the sweetener in the shake? I think those would be the more important issues. If you are tolerating the Atkins shake with it's high Protein, I say good for you and keep up the good work!

Believe it or not you can drop a lot of pounds on a high fat, mid protein, extreme low carb diet. Problem is it's boring and hard to keep up. I lost 24 lbs in about three weeks on one, then lost all control to carbs as I missed them and was bored. Gained every bit back and then some.

(reference Keto Diet)

Edited by pegsbored

I'm doing some Atkins, some EAS and some Pure Protein. I'd like to use some PB2 but I'm worried that might be too touch this soon out (or not smooth enough). Here is the number on Atkins shake, granted I only had half.

Cal 160

Fat 9

Carbs 5

Sugars 1

Protein 15

Probably not the biggest bang for your buck but they are good, easy to do.

What's everyone's thoughts of adding PB2 to unflavored nectar and low fat milk? Too soon? Peanut Butter sounds good. I'm going to wait til week 2 to do puréed. Never thought I'd be so excited to put a can of Soup in the blender!

I just found Bomb Pop sugar free Popsicles that are made with Splenda and they are so good. They are the red, white and blue kind of popsicles.

Drink as much fluids as you possibly can it's very important so you don't get dehydrated.

May I suggest powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup that has 20g of Protein in it.

Crystal light is good and you could add unflavored Protein powder to it if you want.

Good luck and congratulations.

Janey - I think we are doing ok not to hit the goals at just 4 days out. My nut said it's different for every person how many days/weeks it takes to get there. Also I watched a video online that showed the swollen stomach after surgery and only a trickle of fluids going through. So I don't want to damage anything...yikes! I had yogurt today, even though it was thick it went down very smoothly in tiny bites. I found a baby spoon in my kitchen, it's perfect! Little bites...so cute!

I'm debating on trying yogurt today too. I am no where near dehydrated yet. I can feel how swollen it is though. Drinking tea this morning. Then I'll try some Protein. Dropping weight quickly. Go for follow up tomorrow. Decided to take the whole week off I think. Until I can eat yogurt without being scared, I feel like I don't need to work yet. Did you thin the yogurt with milk? My instructions say to do that.

I didn't thin it because it sort of dissolves in your mouth and I was using the thick Greek too. It is very sweet though. I got through 2 oz.

I got through 6oz of tea, 1/2 Jello cup and most of a pure Protein Shake. I feel full. I don't even want to sip right now. I drank the shake over 2 hours.