Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

struggling everyday

I've had a rough recovery from my sleeve. Week 2 I was in the hospital with extreme nausea and unable to eat for about 6 days. I'm on week 4 now and have transitioned to soft food. It seems like everyday I make at least 1 bad choice because of head hunger. I will have a little nibble of bread or a couple cheese nips. It's so frustrating to me that I keep giving in. Today I told myself no more-but made it through the whole day making great choices then right before bed ate a whole serving size of cheese nips. Has anyone struggled this way and been able to turn it around? I'm such a defeatist when it comes to my weight I already feel like at failure at just 4 weeks out

Old habits are hard to beat, that's for sure. I'm 2 weeks out, and already have moment where I'd just love to sink my teeth into something I used to find comforting. Try not to beat yourself up too much, you'll wind up feeling worse and more inclined to reach for the wrong things. And you are NOT a failure. You just survived a major MAJOR surgical procedure. That, in and of itself, is a HUGE accomplishment. You, and all of us, should be proud to get over that hurdle! Focus on that. Come here to vent. sugar free popcicles help me feel human.

My mantra: TRUST THE PROCESS!

Be well...

Are things like bread and cheese nips in your house? If so, get them out. Even if they belong to another family member. Sit down and have a heart to heart about how you need only healthy foods in the house for a few weeks while you adjust to your new way of eating. Other family members can eat bread and cheese nips and whatever else when they are away from home . . . it won't kill them to have to wait a bit in order to support you in this transition.

I really recommend the Beck Diet Solution as a way to work through emotions that make you feel like you "need" foods that won't help you succeed:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beck-Diet-Solution-Person/dp/0848732758/

Good luck to you!

When the bad choice hits your tongue, spit it in the trash can! You got the flavor, no need to send it on down to sleeve-ville!

I kinda overdo it on Protein, to the point where eating more would make me sick. I don't like going that route, but if you're going to be bad its probably better if its protein.

clarify in your mind that it is a choice between life and death... and then actively choose life... Heres the thing... You dont realize it... but you are actually making a lot of automatic choices in your life... If you could try your hardest and move through one day and really focus on every movement, every breath, every step, and every choice... You will see what it is like to live a life full of active choices... My suggestion is to CHOOSE LIFE... You have chosen death for way too long.. I know,.. because so did I.

Bet you thought having the surgery would be the hardest part right....Nope this is where the work really begins. Until you fix your thinking and figure out why you are snacking like that you will struggle for a while.

This is called a journey because it takes time to rebuild the person you want to be. A healthier, happier thinner you. This is part of the great part of having weight loss surgery. It allows you to lose weight while dealing with the issues as they come a long. This is the honeymoon period.

We are all in the same boat here dealing with what brought us to this point in our lives. The thing i that if you change your thinking and recognize the triggers that cause you to snack like that. you become aware and are able to say I know why and hopefully replace it with other more productive behavior.

Fix the brain and the body will follow. Won't happen over night and we all struggle with it and it will rear its ugly head now and then. You are at the beginning of your journey and I am sure because you have already noticed a problem that you will seek the reasons and the solutions.

Don't beat yourself up okay...This is the rest of your life. :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Thanks for the encouragement you guys. I had done pretty well the past few days but kinda blew it today. I've talked to my family about having things like crackers around. I have a 2 year old in the house and all of her Snacks are appetizing. I gained 2 pounds after a 4 day stall. I have yet to meet my Protein goal. I'm really suffering from a lack of variety. I've decided tomorrow to go find a cook book and start to change my menu enough that I don't break down at the end of the night and eat cheese its!

Katt there are some really good post wls cookbooks on Amazon as well as a book by Cynthia Alexander called EMOTIONAL FIRST AID KIT a practical guide to life after wls. This journey for all of us has never just been about the body. The mark of success is not that you never fall but that you get up one more time than you fall. Wishing you the best.

I have found that most of my " munchy" attacks are actually hydration cues . I have never been a Water drinker and still struggle to hit my daily Fluid goal. My strange brain sends out hungry signals when it means I'm thirsty. My suggestion is to try to drink something first before you pick up a salty/sweet snack. Another great alternative is to have some Babybel or laughing cow cheese in the fridge. They serve double duty as snack and Protein.

Good luck!

Somebody said the other day, in a different thread, that if you're craving one particular food or taste it's most likely head hunger. Once you identify that head hunger is what you're dealing with, perhaps you'll be able to re-focus and eat something healthy (protein) instead. It's worth a try, anyway. Good luck!