Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I am out of my 1 week post op and did great just kinda having problems with what kinda of thinks to eat other then applesauce, canned chicken or tuna, mashed potatoes ( these hurt my tummy), egg. Please help me out someone any one. Ps: thank you

NO NO NO .. No mashed potatoes.. they will expand and hurt you .. Didnt they put you on a plan????? Im concerned

Chris

u should be 2 weeks shakes only... 2 weeks puree and then go to regular food. or something like that .. please message me and i will assist you if you would like.. but no no no mashed potatoes or Pasta of ANY KIND

Im hearing to often that people are getting surgery and having no instruction.

Cheesy mashed potatoes were on my plan in the first week. Only a small amount, but extremely yummy!

If you are unable to tolerate soft foods then go back to liquids only. Make sure you're getting 70 grams of Protein (at least) daily. The easiest way to do that is with Protein Shakes.

When I had my sleeve, I did start soft foods on my 2nd week and I tolerated that good. I didn't eat anything for the entire first week and I couldn't tolerate the Protein Shakes. They made me extremely sick. I tried to drink them but couldn't. The second week, I ate only ham salad. That is it. But if you are unable to eat soft foods, definitely go back on liquids for at least a few days and then try to take in soft foods.

Be careful!

Wow! Soft food already. At this point people usually only drink broths Protein Drinks and juices. Mushy foods start in week three. Like yogurt and cottage cheese, fruit, eggs, Jello and pudding, or anything you can blend up or mash to a smooth consistency. Then 2 weeks later starting solids.

This is a slow process because of your new sleeve. It needs to heal and no longer be swollen. It takes time and at this stage you could be harming it and could cause a complication.

I would back off if I were you and give your sleeve a chance to heal. Believe me you don't want complications like a leak!...K

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Cheesy mashed potatoes were on my plan in the first week. Only a small amount, but extremely yummy!

Same. I go to puréed foods tomorrow and I'm allowed mashed potatoes. Not that I can eat much, but I can. And will.

My surgeon had me on soft food after 7 days too, and any texture at 6 weeks as long as it is low sugar high Protein (except: no skins on fruit like apples). Understand your surgeon's recommendations clearly. But being allowed to eat something is not the same thing as being comfortable eating something. Just progress as your sleeve allows, within the rules that your surgeon gave you.

Once I was allowed soft foods, I did not always eat them - some days just Protein shakes and yogurt, especially at first. I am still supposed to have 2 Protein Shakes a day, so I do. I know other people's NUT teams say no shakes so just follow your team's orders.

My surgeon defined soft food as anything that I can cut easily with a fork, so under his rules I was encouraged to eat fish, stewed chicken, ground turkey, cottage cheese, yogurt (especially Greek), eggs, fat free retried Beans. I used my slow cooker and made lots of stews and soups: fish chowder, black bean Soup, Tuscan white bean Soup with garlic (yum!), chicken curry not too hot, chili with ground turkey, spaghetti sauce with turkey meatballs but no actual spaghetti. All delish! Also baked or grilled fish. But baked/grilled chicken was too dry for my sleeve - even now if I try it I need a sauce for it. Ground beef or pork were sometimes okay with great caution - harder to digest and can be very fatty if you are not careful about what meat you cook and how you cook it. I went for turkey sausage (including turkey Italian sausage) instead and have avoided beef and pork. I was disappointed that I do to do well with eggs - I made a low fat quiche and The Sleeve did not like it. Ditto for scrambled or fried eggs, and hard boiled eggs were not much better so I think eggs are off the menu for a while for me.

There are some great websites with menu ideas - like "bariatriceating" and "the world according to egg face" and 7 Bites Jen's terrific YouTube cooking classes! Proceed very slowly and follow YOUR doctor's rules. But don't be afraid to go back to liquids as required - good luck!

Edited by Schmincke

Thank you everyone. I am following the rules when it comes to what my doctor said. I did the liquid for 7 days and now it's on to soft, pureed foods. Plus Protein Shakes, and Water water water. But sometimes my sleeve does not want food so I will use a liquid.... how would one know if they have a leak? That's kinda scary.

Thank you everyone. I am following the rules when it comes to what my doctor said. I did the liquid for 7 days and now it's on to soft, pureed foods. Plus Protein Shakes, and Water water water. But sometimes my sleeve does not want food so I will use a liquid.... how would one know if they have a leak? That's kinda scary.

The first thing is you get a fever. then you feel lousy and exhausted ALL the time. You feel extremely full, like you are going to burst. For the first few weeks it is good to periodically check your temp. And if it goes above 100 take it seriously....

Liquids only then on to soft solids... sugar free Jello and sugar free icies.. That was it for three weeks then cream of wheat and things like that.

Firstly, follow your doctor's orders. Secondly, follow what your body says, and thirdly (if at all) follow what someone on the internet advises.