Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey!

So I got a call this afternoon from the Cleveland Clinic to set up some tests and then my psych evaluation. This is my first appointment in the whole process and I'm a bit nervous.

First, I don't know what to expect. I have dealt with depression my whole life, but I feel a lot of it has to do with my weight issues. I'm afraid I might say something that might delay the process, and seriously I can't live like this much longer.

Then, I have Medicare. So, I'm nervous that insurance isn't going to cover the procedure. And I wonder if there's financing for people with less than perfect credit in situations as these. I'm just anxious in so many ways, but really just can't wait to get my life in order.

Hello and welcome!

I don't have all of the answers, but I can share with you what happened during and after my psych consult.

My PCP said I'd do great! And... I 'failed', as I in I was referred for more therapy before I could move forward. I was mad, sad, etc. Turns out, there was something to it - even though I've always thought I was a bit of a picky eater, I had no idea that they were really food addictions. This all came out during that initial visit and I was sent away with a list of therapists. I had to first contact my ins co to see what type of mental health professional they would cover. Turns out, pretty much any, but the girl on the phone thought I wanted a psychiatrist. I ended up flipping through therapists on my phone and found one for eating disorders. I booked an appt for the following Monday (this was a Wed.) and she just had to sign off that I was actively being seen by her.

So yes, it added a few days to my plan, but I was still able to have my surgery about three weeks after my initial psych eval.

Here's the link for Medicare and lap band coverage -- http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/bariatric-surgery.html

Best wishes!

I would say most pass their psych evaluations. and if you don't don't despair. everyone on your team wants you to succeed with lapband surgery and this is just one of the steps to do. medicare covers the surgery. medicare covers anything having to do with wls. some states are not approved for sleeve yet with medicare. I have medicare. I even had to stay in the hospital for almost 3 days. my share of the whole hospital bill was just over 1000.00. so if you stay just the right amount time your share will be even less. please just take a deep breath. you are going through what we all had to go through. you will end up on the other side with a date for surgery. good luck

I was anxious too. But when I got there, my therapist was so easy to talk with and I instantaly relaxed. Try not to work yourself up too much and keep your eye on the end result. Even if it takes a while longer, the prize is a new tool to help improve your

relationship with food and a better you. I am still playing the the waiting game and jumping through all the insurance hoops....unfortunetly that is what we have to do. Good Luck & all the best to you!!!!!!

the only thing I left out was that I struggled with bulimia. I know it wasn't something I should have left out, but its something I finally have under control and I didn't want surgery to get pushed back.

Edited by betty_s

Mine was a joke... Waste of time.

Saying that I know it's a tool to control my portion sizes and to reduce my hunger. They want to know you have realistic expectations for the surgery and realistic outcomes. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but don't blow it off either in case your doc is more difficult.

the only thing I left out was that I struggled with bulimia. I know it wasn't something I should have left out, but its something I finally have under control and I didn't want surgery to get pushed back.

sweetie, that was a big left out. you cannot be bulimic and have any wls. vomiting will cause you severe injury. you need your bulimia in check before any of the wls. I am ss. I know your thought is if I can lose wt.i won't have this eating disorder but so much of what we do is mental. we struggle every day with the mental aspects of being overweight. I am not sure what your psych eval. is going to do. please don't hide this from the psychologists especially if you are seeking a lapband.i wish you a whole lot of luck.

sweetie, that was a big left out. you cannot be bulimic and have any wls. vomiting will cause you severe injury. you need your bulimia in check before any of the wls. I am ss. I know your thought is if I can lose wt.i won't have this eating disorder but so much of what we do is mental. we struggle every day with the mental aspects of being overweight. I am not sure what your psych eval. is going to do. please don't hide this from the psychologists especially if you are seeking a lapband.i wish you a whole lot of luck.

Thanks for the concern. But it's been under control for over 7 years now. I appreciate your concern though.

Hey!

So I got a call this afternoon from the Cleveland Clinic to set up some tests and then my psych evaluation. This is my first appointment in the whole process and I'm a bit nervous.

First, I don't know what to expect. I have dealt with depression my whole life, but I feel a lot of it has to do with my weight issues. I'm afraid I might say something that might delay the process, and seriously I can't live like this much longer.

Then, I have Medicare. So, I'm nervous that insurance isn't going to cover the procedure. And I wonder if there's financing for people with less than perfect credit in situations as these. I'm just anxious in so many ways, but really just can't wait to get my life in order.

Medicare should cover your Lap Band surgery. The psych eval is a piece of cake. Mine took about five minutes then I filled out a ten page multiple choice survey thing. That was it. Easy-peasy. Painless. :D They have you consult with a therapist to see that you have reasonable and realistic expectations for your surgery and that you are psychologically and emotionally healthy enough to withstand the surgery and recovery. If there are concerns, you may need some additional therapy but it shouldn't take long and it would only mean that you will be that much healthier and stronger and have a better outcome. Remember, the pre op tests are not done to torment you, but to be as certain as possible that you will have a successful surgery and a swift and smooth recovery and a happy, healthy life. :)