Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arrrggghhhhh!!! I'm not losing!!!

:P Right I'm gonna moan, I'm 8 days post op and I've lost 10lbs since op day.... I'm on liquids, I worked out my calorie intake was around 600+/- calories per day, and I am sooo NOT hungry, and despite this I really can't be bothered to eat anything... which is VERY unusual

I'm drinking my Water although that's a struggle, I'm a gulper by nature, but I'm getting there with 2 litres per day.

But for the past 3 days the scales have not moved and to add insult to injury I gained a lb this morning.... Someone tell me how the HELL that happened!!???!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I realise that I should step away from the scales, but it's a habit... get up pee weigh self, wash, brush teeth.... that's how it goes unless my eating is out of control, then the scales don't even figure in my life! :o

Anyone who has some explanation how I can be eating virtually NOTHING and gain a lb, I'd be really appreciative it

Oh Anon...

I feel your frustration! :cry Please be patient with your self & don't be hard on yourself at the moment (or ever again)

Look what you've done..you've taken the big step, you are out the other side.. You are down 10lbs in 8 days too.

I know it's probably easy for me to tell you to relax right now & I'm sure I will prob catch myself freaking out too post op. Believe me I am in a major rush to drop my cursed weight, but I am coaching myself not to go through that again. Every diet was the same, felt like time stood still as I weighed myself daily & felt the numbers looking back at me were totally unjustified! There I was "sacrificing" everything only to be dissappointed every morning.

This time you are not sacrificing anything, you are going to get where you want to be... just trust that.

If I were you I would throw the scales away... I am going to do that.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time since November (coz I needed to check my BMI for sure) & funny enough I was only 2lbs out in what I estimated I would be. (I have gained 22 lbs since NOV) I don't need the scales to tell me where I am...I just know coz I have been every feckin weight there is! I have a scales in my head...

Throw it away...let your doc weigh you on post op visits..

I feel a bit unqualified advising you having not had the op myself yet (4/16) But I feel for you today & am willing you to get over this hump!

Feel free to throw this back at me if I end up ignoring my own advice when I'm at your stage!:nervous

Thanks very much.... It's not like I didn't know all this stuff already ... like I say in my signature.... I'm unable to follow my own advice!

It was the scales fault!! I shall banish them to the attic and get them out just once a week I think that will be plenty for anyone to endure ....

Definitely put the scale away and only weigh once a week or so. I am guilty of weighing everyday because I have been keeping a log of food and exercise as well to see my patterns of weight loss, but if it upsets you to not see a loss after 3 days when you have lost 8 lbs since surgery it is not worth it.

You have to remember that this is not a quick fix, it is a long-term tool that you have to learn how to use and live with.

Good luck!

scale is a BIG enemy of mine, and I've been banded for over two years. Now, I only step on the scale once a month or not even that, I leave it for when I go to my doctors office. I always feel frustrated with what the scale shows me, even if I know I have been exercising and doing correct food choices. Besides, when exercising regularly, your fat tends to go away and give place to your body muscle, therefore you won't really notice much difference on the scale, but believe me, it's there. Your body is changing, little by little. Don't try to loose at high speed, you'll have too much loose skin flopping around, go slowly and give time for your body to adjust to the new reality. Besides, considering all those years we took to get obese, why should we be so hard on ourselves and expect to melt down all that extra weight in such a little time?

be positive, think positive, the band is there to help you, not to fight against you.

niki

Anyone who has some explanation how I can be eating virtually NOTHING and gain a lb, I'd be really appreciative it
I think it would help you to remind yourself that "weight" and "fat" aren't the same thing. Your weight is your hair, skin, and everything wrapped up inside of it. This includes fat, but is not an accurate representation of the amount of fat on your body. No joke - I can vary as much as 15 lbs in the same day.

If you have sudden weight gain, large or small, 99.99999% of the time the answer is Water. People just don't gain fat pounds overnight, especially not banded people. But they freak out when they see the difference in the scale numbers, and assume they're now 4 pounds FATTER instead of jsut being 4 pounds HEAVIER. Big difference.

So to answer your question about your weight gain - it's probably Water. It's probably not fat.

And your body can't sustain constant weightloss. It needs to readjust to what's going on (insert long explanation about glycogen stores and metabolism here). If you're setting yourself up to see or epxpecting a scale change every day, you're going to have lots of disappointment. :) You've alreaydy talked about the scale addiction. scales really are the WORST way of tracking fat loss.

BTW, this is exactly what kills so many diets. People deprive themselves, and feel deprived, and then see no or negative changes on the scale and say, "Well F it, if I'm giving all this up and gaining weight anyway, then I'm just going to eat what I want!" -- and do just that, when a little more patience and persistence would have shown that the body was just adjusting and the loss was queued.

Yes - banish the scales. For the most part - I lose several pounds over twice as many days - and then the scale bumps up and down and all around for a couple of weeks - then I lose weight again.

If I freaked out every time I retained Water, I would be in a straightjacket - and so will you.

If you MUST weigh yourself - keep in mind that the scale only shows a TREND. So long as the trend is stable and going in the right direction - then you are doing fine. So long as you are staying on plan and exercising, it is almost impossible for you to be gaining FAT weight - no matter what the scale might say.

Keep this in mind, also. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. If you are buffing up and working out - then you might temporarily be HEAVIER - but you are not going to be FATTER.

Good Luck!