Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So in my year and a half post RNY I have never really had issues with food getting stuck. I did with my band all the time it didn't matter if I ate super slow and tiny bits of food. It would all get stuck.

About a month ago I ate some ground beef and it go stuck. It was painful I have never experienced that type of pain before. I let it go for about three hours I finally caved and called my dr. He said give it time don't eat or drink anything. He said if it doesn't ease up call me in the morning and I will get you in for a scope. About 30 minutes later it all came out. I still didn't eat anything just drank lots of clear fluids (well what I could handle). Now a month later and it seems

As if every three days or so it happens again. Stuck and lots of pain I can eat salad it gets stuck doesn't have to be meat it will get stuck.

Is anyone else having this issue or similar issues? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Wow...I just had my band revision to rny on Monday...I hope that doesn't happen too often. I would also like to hear from those it has happened to and what they did to rectify it..I hope it stops happening for you...good luck

Wow...I just had my band revision to rny on Monday...I hope that doesn't happen too often. I would also like to hear from those it has happened to and what they did to rectify it..I hope it stops happening for you...good luck

It's strange to have it happening I'm

Thinking if it was going to happen it would have been early on.

It's strange to have it happening I'm

Thinking if it was going to happen it would have been early on.

I wonder if you have a stricture? I am a band to bypass conversion and got stuck all the time with the band but it has happened twice since rny. Both times after eating chicken and eating too fast. If it continues I think you should get scoped.

Eating too fast or not chewing well are the most common causes of food getting stuck. Strictures usually occur within about four weeks of surgery (of course there are exceptions) and symptoms are nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing. If it's happening every three days your doctor may decide to go ahead with the endoscopy which will answer the stricture question conclusively. If it is a stricture, it's easily treated with a balloon dilation and the success rate after one dilation is very high (close to 90%) and almost 100% after a second dilation if needed.

Hope you get it resolved quickly and please keep us posted on your progress!

I will have to track and pay attention when I'm eating. I really hope this is just your eating to fast thing. The bad part is that I feel so drained once it has finally cleared.

It's the tightening/narrowing of your esophagus. Causing your food to "get stuck".

Esophageal strictures are one type of stricture but anastomotic strictures may be more common with gastric bypass patients. An anastomosis is a surgical connection between two hollow structures. In the case of gastric bypass, it is the connection created between the newly created pouch and the small intestine. In about 2% of bypass patients, excessive scar tissue forms at the anastomosis and restricts the movement of food from the pouch to the small intestine. Strictures are uncomfortable but treatment is relatively straightforward and additional surgery is rarely required.

Esophageal strictures are one type of stricture but anastomotic strictures may be more common with gastric bypass patients. An anastomosis is a surgical connection between two hollow structures. In the case of gastric bypass, it is the connection created between the newly created pouch and the small intestine. In about 2% of bypass patients, excessive scar tissue forms at the anastomosis and restricts the movement of food from the pouch to the small intestine. Strictures are uncomfortable but treatment is relatively straightforward and additional surgery is rarely required.

Awesome info!! Thank you!! :)

Omg wow lots of info thank you for sharing.

What would cause this? Is this something that has a tendency to occur with wls?

Some folks, myself included, are more prone to forming scar tissue (aka "adhesions") than others. It isn't associated specifically with wls but with ANY surgery. For example, I was scheduled to have my gall bladder taken out laparoscopically. But when the surgeon got in there he was unable to do it laparoscopically because of adhesions from an appendectomy that I had as a kid. Ten years later when I had my bypass the surgeon was able to do it laparoscopically in spite of adhesions from the appendectomy AND the gall bladder. Laparoscopic techniques, like nearly everything in medicine, are constantly improving!

So in my year and a half post RNY I have never really had issues with food getting stuck. I did with my band all the time it didn't matter if I ate super slow and tiny bits of food. It would all get stuck.

About a month ago I ate some ground beef and it go stuck. It was painful I have never experienced that type of pain before. I let it go for about three hours I finally caved and called my dr. He said give it time don't eat or drink anything. He said if it doesn't ease up call me in the morning and I will get you in for a scope. About 30 minutes later it all came out. I still didn't eat anything just drank lots of clear fluids (well what I could handle). Now a month later and it seems

As if every three days or so it happens again. Stuck and lots of pain I can eat salad it gets stuck doesn't have to be meat it will get stuck.

Is anyone else having this issue or similar issues? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I'm almost 8mos out. I thought I had this whole eating thing down. I hadn't had any food issues (foamies, vomiting, etc) in months. Then, out of the blue last Sunday I got the foamies after 2-3 bites of yogurt. I was eating too fast (and knew it) because we were going out and to make matters worse, I still went shopping with my hubby. I threw up at home before we left, again at Sam's Club, and again at Walmart (barely making it to the rest room that time!). Two days later I threw up at work after eating my lunch of chili (always a safe food for me) and on Thursday it happened again. I'm thinking maybe all that upset irritated my pouch so I've decided to go back to mushy foods for a week to give things a rest. Then I'll reintroduce my normal foods gradually, being conscious of bite sizes, chewing well, and eating slowly. We'll see how it goes. If nothing changes I have my 9mos follow up soon and will discuss it with my doctor.

I am now eating soft foods again. I have gotten sick every day for the last three days. I am going to have to give in and see my dr.