Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I remember coming home from my honeymoon in good ole 1977 and riding along on a blistering chilly day...We were driving home in a snow storm and I was not worried about anything...We laughed and talked and then he pulled into this little out of the way book store....I had never seen anything like it, it was nestled in pine trees and made to look like a cabin.

He wanted me to see it and maybe I might find a book to buy and it could be a good memory for me like it was for him....

As I walked through the store I saw a lot of old books, ripped books, used books and even new books....It was quite the place....It looked like it was fresh out of " Little House on the Prairies. " It gave me the feeling like the stage coach was about to pull in to get fresh horses and supper..lol

I found a section of cook books and thought well sure I can use one of those......So I picked up a Betty Crocker cook book...It was awesome. The nicest cook book I ever saw....I took it to my hubby and he beamed with pleasure that I found a book no matter what book it was in this quaint book store..

He bought it for me and when I got it to the car I took it out of the bag and started to stroke it and then opened it to pies......All of a sudden I felt this pressure in my chest and stomach...I all of a sudden realized that I was responsible for keeping this man a live.....I had to make sure that every day he got his 5 food groups in or his health might wane......

I was nineteen and really scared of everything but that was the one thing I focused on.......the first meal I made when we did finally get home was a huge pot of spaghetti and meatballs...He came home from work and his jaw hit the floor. He told me that we could never eat that much before it went bad...I told him I figured it would last us a week and there was meat, veggies, cheese, grain, tomatoes..You know stuffed with all 5 food groups................I have no idea why this struck me with such terror but it did......Now the reason I am telling you all this tail is because it happened to me again..

A few months ago when I left the hospital and they told me I was on my own....A feeling of doom and desperation enveloped me and even though the 5 food groups were not an issue... I still had to think of making sure hubby did not lose any weight ( he lost 25 lbs when I was in the hospital ) But now I had rules to follow, so much Protein , so much Water, watch the carbs and eat veggies and fruit where they fit in....

I thought that's it, I am going to end up killing myself over this..How will I know what to eat, when to eat, how to eat it. How long before and after is Water intake and abstinence. It was 1977 all over again!....This weighed very heavy on my mind...

I have OCD so it might be that it was so bad because of my problem...

I took it seriously to do the right thing when I discovered my part in looking after myself.....

So I do understand these questions people ask on this forum regarding food and water and all the rest....We think we did the hardest thing by having the surgery..But then you realize that it is up to you to make the changes..To fix your brain. To learn how to eat properly and nutritionally. To exercise and learn to love who you are every day as you proceed along this path to a new you...

To except the new you with open arms and contentment, building a new life out of the ashes of the old and hopefully keeping your other parts of life somewhat in tact...

Love yourself, learn to except yourself, and get a life....My new worries are these just written.........

There will always be something to weigh down my mind....But not extra weight. ( hopefully )

Another great post, RJ.

You mean the 5 food groups are not candy, Cookies, Cakes, Pasta and pizza? ;)

I agree with you - the easiest part so far has been the physical recovery from surgery. I was totally ill-prepared for the emotional side of this journey. I was armed with facts about the surgery and knew what my post op diet looked like. I had not addressed my emotional issues - that's something I'm tackling right now and it's hard work. I'm relearning how to eat and what to eat. I have to pay attention when I eat and not mindlessly eat in front of the TV or computer. And, good lord, trying to figure out the feeding/drinking schedule!!!!!! :o

At any rate - this is a great post and look forward to some great responses!

I wish you and your family a very, very happy and HEALTHY New Year. You are one tough broad and I so respect you for all you've been through and for all you do on this forum.

Take good care, my friend.

Another great post, RJ.

You mean the 5 food groups are not candy, Cookies, Cakes, Pasta and pizza? ;)

I agree with you - the easiest part so far has been the physical recovery from surgery. I was totally ill-prepared for the emotional side of this journey. I was armed with facts about the surgery and knew what my post op diet looked like. I had not addressed my emotional issues - that's something I'm tackling right now and it's hard work. I'm relearning how to eat and what to eat. I have to pay attention when I eat and not mindlessly eat in front of the TV or computer. And, good lord, trying to figure out the feeding/drinking schedule!!!!!! :o

At any rate - this is a great post and look forward to some great responses!

I wish you and your family a very, very happy and HEALTHY New Year. You are one tough broad and I so respect you for all you've been through and for all you do on this forum.

Take good care, my friend.

Never thought of those 5 food groups hun...I think maybe I did switch to them a few years after I had kids...They just never worked out for me you know!!!!

All the best for you to and that darling hubby of yours...Look after him kido!!!!!!!!!!!

Another great post, RJ. You mean the 5 food groups are not candy, Cookies, Cakes, Pasta and pizza? ;) I agree with you - the easiest part so far has been the physical recovery from surgery. I was totally ill-prepared for the emotional side of this journey. I was armed with facts about the surgery and knew what my post op diet looked like. I had not addressed my emotional issues - that's something I'm tackling right now and it's hard work. I'm relearning how to eat and what to eat. I have to pay attention when I eat and not mindlessly eat in front of the TV or computer. And, good lord, trying to figure out the feeding/drinking schedule!!!!!! :o At any rate - this is a great post and look forward to some great responses! I wish you and your family a very, very happy and HEALTHY New Year. You are one tough broad and I so respect you for all you've been through and for all you do on this forum. Take good care, my friend.

I love all the good stuff RJ posts! Happy New Year! 2014 is looking good, I'm ready!

RJ and McB, I value your posts, you are both invaluable sources of inspiration and motivation. Thanks for sharing!

Another great post, RJ. You mean the 5 food groups are not candy, Cookies, Cakes, Pasta and pizza? ;) I agree with you - the easiest part so far has been the physical recovery from surgery. I was totally ill-prepared for the emotional side of this journey. I was armed with facts about the surgery and knew what my post op diet looked like. I had not addressed my emotional issues - that's something I'm tackling right now and it's hard work. I'm relearning how to eat and what to eat. I have to pay attention when I eat and not mindlessly eat in front of the TV or computer. And, good lord, trying to figure out the feeding/drinking schedule!!!!!! :o At any rate - this is a great post and look forward to some great responses! I wish you and your family a very, very happy and HEALTHY New Year. You are one tough broad and I so respect you for all you've been through and for all you do on this forum. Take good care, my friend.

I love all the good stuff RJ posts! Happy New Year! 2014 is looking good, I'm ready!

RJ and McB, I value your posts, you are both invaluable sources of inspiration and motivation. Thanks for sharing!

I feel honored that you both feel that way....There is a big journey a head of all of us here and we need to hold on tight " cause it is going to be a bumpy ride." A good one but bumpy!!!!!!!!!!! :)