Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Surgery liquid diet

Han anyone eaten applesauce or pudding during the pre surgery liquid diet? Do they have us do this diet so we can be used to not being able to eat solid food for a couple weeks after surgery? Im doing good with liquid, but I ate applesauce and pudding today cause i was so damn hungry. Has anyone else just like cut way back on solid food and only eaten like pudding and Jello and stuff up to their surgery date?

I am in that pre surgery diet as well and I was told that the reason for the diet before surgery is so that your liver will shrink a bit as the stomach is under the liver and they want to make it easier to get to. I have found that the Protein Shakes make me feel full. Hope that helps and good luck!!

For my pre-op diet I was advised to have ONLY liquid 14 days prior to surgery. The purpose is to deplete your glycogen stores, which in turn makes laparoscopic placement easier. You can have any liquids NOT containing sugar, such as sugar free kool-aid, propel, coffee, tea, broth Soups (all varieties) sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free Jello. :hungry:

I find out tomorrow about my pre-op diet - they said high Protein for one week prior - i was thinking real food high protein - but after reading all this i guess i am in for a big SURPRISE

See I don't know. I know a lady that her Dr isn't telling her to quit anything. Another lady at my job did not follow instructions and just quit eating anything 1 day prior to her surgery and she hasn't looked back since. So I don't know what to think. Watch out cause this place will start to tweak you out the more you read. Im glad I didn't read this stuff before I had it all set up.

OMG! I haven't even gotten through my 3 month diet plan with my doctor and I haven't lost that much weight. I hope that it doesn't delay my surgery. Has anyone out there not lost a whole lot of weight before surgery? :eek:

See I don't know. I know a lady that her Dr isn't telling her to quit anything. Another lady at my job did not follow instructions and just quit eating anything 1 day prior to her surgery and she hasn't looked back since. So I don't know what to think. Watch out cause this place will start to tweak you out the more you read. Im glad I didn't read this stuff before I had it all set up.

Hi,

I am on my 2 week presurgery diet now and what Dr. Eibes in Des Moines, Iowa has you do is for the 1st 12 days you eat 8 Proteins, 6-7 carbs, 2 veg. and 3 fats a day. Then you can have sugarfree Jello and popsicles. Also he wants us to drink at least 64oz of no calorie fluids. Then the last 2 days we have 4 protien shakes a day and total of 5 servings a day of the following:

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup sugarfree pudding

6oz light yogurt

1/2 cup plain oatmeal, cream of wheat, or maltomeal

8oz V8 juice

If you make your shakes with Water you can choose another serving from the list.

I have lost 10.5 lbs already in 4 days. So I'm not complaining. Hope this helps. I know all Dr. are different with their orders. The reason he has us do this is to shrink the liver before surgery. Hugs, Deb

Hi - I'm beginning week 2 of my "pre-surgery" liquid diet. From what I understand, the main reason we are doing this is in fact to reduce (shrink) or de-fat our liver. Most, if not all people that are dealing with morbid obesity have fatty livers which of course is not healthy - and for surgery they want us to be in as healthy a condition as possible. Apparently shrinkage of the liver makes surgery significantly easier.

The Nutritionist at the NYU Program for Surgical Weight Loss gave me information that says if one is hungry you can have raw or cooked vegetables (2 cups daily) of the folowing:

-lettuce, spinach, cucumber, onion, Tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushroom, zuccini, string Beans, okra, cabbage, asparagus, brussel sprouts and peppers.

NO - corn, peas, potatoes, or Beans,

Liquids include protein/meal replacement shakes, any sugar free beverages, sugar-free Jello, low salt broth. NO - alchohol.

When I went to the first information seminar at NYU , I remember someone asking Dr. Fielding if they HAD TO stick to liquids during those 2 weeks.

He said he was not going to put a gun to people's heads, if they slipped it wouldn't be the end of the world, but he highly recommended sticking to the nutritionist guidelines.

Good Luck to All. :gluck: This site has been tremendously helpful to me and I thank everyone for the courage and honesty! :clap2:

For my 2 week presurgery diet I was told to drink SlimFast only for the two weeks, SlimFast makes me sick so I did the Danon Light 'n Fit soothies and just made sure to stay with in the calorie in take level and I lost more than enough for surgery.

I was on the pre-op diet for 10 days prior to surgery. Yes it is to shrink your liver. The major thing is to cut fats. I had protien shakes and Soups [provided in the cost] and I could add 5 portions of fruit or vegetables each day.

Yup, and if you do some looking around here, you will find TONS of threads about pre-op AND post-op diets. Every single one of those threads say that every doctor is different.

The philosophy behind shrinking the liver is a sound one, there is tons of data and research to back it up. But some docs are fine with not having you try to shrink it. Some of the studies also say it takes at least four weeks, others say it takes six. Because of the data that says it takes longer, I think some docs just don't have us bother. It all boils down to following what YOUR doc wants you to do. If you don't understand, then question her/him. They are working for you, you have every right (and actually it's your responsiblity) to ask questions.

Hell yeah, I like the above answer. That's what im talking about. Thanks! Went to see 300 tonight as the family ate dinner. If anyone hasn't seen it yet. It's BAD ASS !!!!

Hell yeah, I like the above answer. That's what im talking about. Thanks! Went to see 300 tonight as the family ate dinner. If anyone hasn't seen it yet. It's BAD ASS !!!!

Thanks! And most excellent to hear 300 is good. The DH wants to go see it and I agreed, but ONLY if we go see it in IMAX!

I'm on Day Number 9 of my liquid Diet. My Dr. Requires 14 Days. I'm on the Optifast liquid diet. I'm I'm only allowed sugar free Jello (no puddings) and sugar free Popsicles. I know it's hard, believe me. I almost caved in a few times, but I won't let the Fatman Inside me Win anymore, I must Kill him! I've also been riding my exercise Bike and when weighed at the Doc's office yesterday I was down 14lbs!!! That was all I needed to see, nothing will stop me now!!!

Good Luck To You,

Rocko~`