Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Calorie Burn Recommendations?

I'm really hoping to lose 60 lbs by May (my trip to England!) and I want to get as low weight as possible as my last trip there was miserable with 11 hour flights and 3 planes each way. What would my 100+ loss weight goal buddies recommend for calories burned? I'm at (not banded till next week) like 290 right now. Thoughts?

Congratulations on your new journey. Everyone loses at their own pace. Just follow your doctor and dietitian's rules. Everyone of them have their own thoughts about the band and weight loss. You do have to eat to lose. Also, exercise, anything helps. Sometimes losing inches shows up more than pounds lost.

I am not a Breakfast eater, meaning healthy foods. So is started having the Protein shakes 4 months before my surgery and lost 28 pounds. I still have one every morning and love them.

Good luck with everyone.

I would speak to your nutritionist and let them help you establish not only a daily calorie allowance but food guidelines, too. Calorie intakes here vary greatly depending on weight, height, activity level, gender, and even age. Some eat as little as 600 a day whereas others eat 1800 a day. You have to figure out what's best for you and your specific needs.

Best wishes.

3,500 calories is app. equal to 1 pound of body fat.....so, if you wanted to loose 1-1/2 ponds per week, that would equal 5, 250 calores burned per week, ABOVE what your intake is....5, 250 calories / 7 days = 750 calories per day....MORE than you consume....

If you're consuming 1000 calories per day, then you must burn 1750 calories per day...

For me, I do not count calories, use any app's, etc...I used to and it drove me crazy....(and I wasn't loosing)

My own personal take on it all is: I eat 1/2 of what I used to,(at least, sometimes less) and excercise twice as hard.....

I also work out first thing in the morning..5:30am, on a empty stomach...(no food) I did read a article about this somewhere once about optimal fat burning....

Then end my workout with a high Protein recovery shake....

Also, it has been documented many places that the body stores fat as a energy source for the days when us hunter-gatherers have to face times of famine...so when I work out I think about my body going to that energy source stored away as fat....

I never fatiqed, and at the age of 62 would run 5 miles per day, then do weights and core....with plenty of energy to spare...

The above is just my personal take on it all, but I will say it has worked very well for me, brning all my excess fat and putting me in a "Fit-Athletic" body fat % ranking....

Now that I have no body fat to use for energy before a workout, I have started to fatique faster...so now I will at least take a Protein shot before a workout...but still no solid food....

Again, this is all my take on it, and how I have come to exercise and burn away body fat....quite successfully...

Also, after loosing 100 + lbs, I hardley have any loose hanging skin....but I do other things that may have helped with that...

Also, after loosing 100 + lbs, I hardley have any loose hanging skin....but I do other things that may have helped with that...

Such as?

SkinnyJenn

That's ~3 lbs per week and that's a lofty goal. But to achieve it you should calculate your BMR. That will tell you how many calories you body burns daily at rest. Then decide how many calories you want to eat daily. Take the difference (eg mine is BMR of 1425 and I try to stay at 1000 calories consumed daily so 425 calories burned daily with no exercise) and multiple that by 7 to get your weekly minimum burn (2975). To lose 3 pounds per week you need to burn 9500. So 9500 minus your weekly minimum burn divided by seven will give you the daily amount of calories you need to burn by exercising. For me that would be ~910 calories a day. That's a lot even with the amount you add just doing normal things.

I don't go into all this detail to say you can't do it. But I believe in realistic goals. Before surgery I needed to lose 1/2 my body weight. I therefore needed to lose a whole person exactly like my "goal" me. I hope to do this within two years. I've managed to lose 100 lbs in about a year. But I'm losing more slowly now. Why? Partly because as you lose weight your BMR goes down so you have to exercise more to make up the difference. And I'll admit. I'm not very good at exercising.

I wis you luck but no matter your size enjoy London! I'll be going again in June. One of my favorite places to go.

I'm really hoping to lose 60 lbs by May (my trip to England!) and I want to get as low weight as possible as my last trip there was miserable with 11 hour flights and 3 planes each way. What would my 100+ loss weight goal buddies recommend for calories burned? I'm at (not banded till next week) like 290 right now. Thoughts?

Keep up with your monthly fill adjustments, WALK every single day at least 30 minutes, ideally an hour. Don't go over 1000 calories while you are losing and you should make your goal. Keep your meals plant based and lean Proteins like chicken and fish most of the time.

With the lap band you have to work it to see the scale move weekly. Get your Water in daily -- 8 glasses to flush out fat...

Good luck you can do it!