Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am trying to figure out ADHD meds after the surgery. Has anyone attempted the Extended release options, or just accepted that it won't work after VSG? I've not had a good experience so far with Ritalin. Once it kicks in, I feel normal for about four hours then I crash and it feels like my symptoms are magnified. I take my second dose two hours later and feel normal for four hours then crash. Then my partner has to practically kick me out of bed in the AM. My doc wanted to put me in the patch, but I react badly to adhesive. Oi!

I have found things that say XR are OK for the sleeve, but not for bypass. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Am trying to figure out ADHD meds after the surgery. Has anyone attempted the Extended release options, or just accepted that it won't work after VSG? I've not had a good experience so far with Ritalin. Once it kicks in, I feel normal for about four hours then I crash and it feels like my symptoms are magnified. I take my second dose two hours later and feel normal for four hours then crash. Then my partner has to practically kick me out of bed in the AM. My doc wanted to put me in the patch, but I react badly to adhesive. Oi! I have found things that say XR are OK for the sleeve, but not for bypass. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

I had a sleeve 1/23/13 and was on generic concerta prior to surgery for ADD and I still take it without any issues. Concerta is the long acting Ritalin. I don't like the short acting drugs that I have to take twice a day.

I switched from Concerta to Ritalin for about 6 weeks until I was given the go ahead to swallow pills whole again.

I was wondering about this as my prescriber spoke about switching to Ritilan for 6 weeks. Not sure but I'm sure we will all just keep our forward momentum. With smiles.....

watching with intrest

I wanted to add that I was so happy to get back on Concerta. Like you, I hate Ritalin for the same reasons.

I was put on vivance twice a day. Would love one more short acting dose of Ritalin so I could stay awake on the bus on the way home. I'm pretty much tired all the time. Won't be going back til March to reeval meds.

I was put on vivance twice a day. Would love one more short acting dose of Ritalin so I could stay awake on the bus on the way home. I'm pretty much tired all the time. Won't be going back til March to reeval meds.

Vyvanse twice a day?? That is odd because it's a long acting drug, meaning it's intended to be taken only once per day. If you need a short acting med Ritalin and Vyvanse are two different drugs that should not be combined. But if you are taking the vyvanse twice a day you can't add a short acting med. It's too much on your heart because both drugs are stimulants and affect the heart. Sorry as a RN it concerns me:)

If the meds stayed in my system all day, I would not need to take it twice a day. I also can't take muscle relaxers anymore. 20 minutes and they are out of my system like I hadn't taken them. They don't even have a chance to do anything.

Have you already had surgery, or no? I'm surprised to see someone on here who has had surgery be surprised about how meds react now.

I take aderall xr with no problems.

I just tried the two meds so far. Only on 50mg twice a day, so overall not that high of a dose. I skip meds 1 day each week as I have found that I can't easily wake up in the night when it's out of my system, so I don't take it on the days I am on call over night.

I heard somewhere before that after 3 months, one should try a different type of medication for a month so to counteract any resistance to the first medication. It's seems like most people just stay on the first medication though from what I'm seeing.

If the meds stayed in my system all day, I would not need to take it twice a day. I also can't take muscle relaxers anymore. 20 minutes and they are out of my system like I hadn't taken them. They don't even have a chance to do anything. Have you already had surgery, or no? I'm surprised to see someone on here who has had surgery be surprised about how meds react now.

Yes, I had a sleeve done 1 year ago and how medicine is broken down was something I researched and talked to pharmacist about since I take thyroid meds. With a sleeve medicine is not absorbed any different or metabolized differently according to the pharmacist and doctor. I am also a Registered Nurse for ten years. My point was that standard practice with add meds is a long acting taken in the morning and if additional is needed then a short acting is used. Taking a long acting twice a day is not approved by the FDA and can cause complications with your heart.

I do not believe everyone responds to meds the same. I know that if I take this "long acting" stimulant at 9AM, I am napping by 3:00 if I don't take a second dose. I think if I was getting anything from the second part that is supposed to break down in the intestines, I wouldn't be falling asleep on the way home from work.

I can take it twice a day an still get 8 hours of sleep. I do not feel like I am on too much stimulant in the slightest.

Also, there have been no studies on the sleeve and how it breaks medicines down. Also, some meds react differently depending in the acidity level in the stomach at the time the medication is taken. No one I talked to had info on how that would affect any ADD meds. If the pharmacists you know have this info, they should write a paper I think since all the pharmacists and physicians I've talked to are clueless about it. As it seems to have less effect if I take it with food in my stomach or on an empty one.

That being said, I can tell when it's not in my system anymore. I feel different. I have a harder time following my partners conversation and am easily distracted by noises or the TV while I am interacting with my kids.

Hi all, i appear to be a few years behind the conversation, but ive stumbled across this forum after being absent for a few years,

2 years ago i was diagnosed with ADHD and began stimulant medication to manage my symptoms, i was prescribed Dexamphetamine, 5mg tablets - they were working wonders for about 6-12 months, then it was almost as if i woke up one morning and they had minimal to no effect. has anyone else experienced this?

im struggling to find any literture regarding interactions between stimulant medicatons gastric bypass,

im waiting for a review with my bypasss surgeon in the new year, as he has requested some of his bypass patients come in for a malabsorbtion review, and my psychiatrist who diagnosied my ADHD and prescribes my stimulants has never prescribed to someone who has previously had a gastric bypass,

im currently feeling like the medication is going in, having minimal effect, and then being excreted etc.

i hope someone has some answers, or can guide me in the direction of good intel!

Thanks!