Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting hungry!

So far so good - I am still on liquids, with a few well chewed crackers thrown in. My doctor, the only one in Western Canada doing lapband surgery, is very strict and expects his patients to stay on Clear Liquids for 40 days! I am following a modified version of that - I have all of the Clear Liquids I want, a yoghurt a day and crackers (saltines).

The first few days were easy - everything hurt so hunger wasn't an issue. But now...I never realized how many commercials, billboards and magazine ads were food related!

I have slipped a little here and there and even had a PB with melba toast. Actually, I was freaked but happy - it meant that there really is a band in there! I am particularly craving Protein, but I don't want to sabotage my weight loss. Most of the Protein drinks seem very high in calories.

Kathe

Hi--My dietician recommended that I buy Knox NutraJoint Gelatine supplement and add it to all my "clear liquids". I also add it to Jello--just dump some in during the dissolving phase. It's in a powder form and comes in a medium sized can. Walmart carries it. It adds NO flavor, but adds a good bit of Protein. If I drink a milk product, such as Slimfast, I add some Sanalac, the "cadillac" of powdered milk, and that also adds protein. Also available at the Super WalMarts and some grocery stores. Even tho these won't add flavor, they WILL boost your protein intake and make you feel better. Worked for me, anyway!! Have you tried real runny Cream of Wheat? Somehow that seems more like "real" food when you're on liquids. I've not heard of the 40 day clear liquid diet, tho. Does the doctor watch you carefully during that time? Easy to get too FEW calories!! Good luck to you!!

Are sure the instruction is 40 days of CLEAR liquids? Or full liquids? There is a big difference! Most doctors require a month of full liquids post surgery. 40 days of CLEAR liquids I would call torture, and unnecessary. I would recommend you try blended Soups high in Protein, such as Bean with Bacon, Lentil, Split Pea, Cream of chicken, etc. if you like those. Or make your own Soups, either with milk and veggies, or legumes for Protein. I would recommend you definitely NOT eat crackers or melba toast!

Mary in Sacramento

Yes, it's true! Dr. Leung says clear liquids for 40 days! Of course, we all know that he is not a nutritionist! I am trying to eat sort of in the middle of what he says and what is in the Australian guide from Foodtalk. That's why I have yogurt and nonfat pudding and skim milk. I am planning on adding in thicker Soups at the end of week 3. I have tried bean Soup, thinned and it went down fine.

Unfortunately, there is no Walmart where I live, and even if there was, the products would be different in Canada. But the next time I am in the States (probably next week) I will check out your suggestions. Thanks

:):D :D