Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I am a little over 3 months post op. I have been doing very well and so far I am off almost all my meds.. My concern now is Hair loss, I just started noticing it and of course I am losing it from the front where I can see it not from the back where it wouldn't bother me as much... My question is what can I do to slow it down or halt it all together

The only thing that I know of is taking Biotin. I am pre op and have been religiously been taking Biotin for the past 4 months. A lot of people say it helps. Good luck.

(Pre op) sw 341~cw 298~gw 140

Ok I am a little over 3 months post op. I have been doing very well and so far I am off almost all my meds.. My concern now is hair loss' date=' I just started noticing it and of course I am losing it from the front where I can see it not from the back where it wouldn't bother me as much... My question is what can I do to slow it down or halt it all together[/quote']

Dr. Said to keep up with the protien very important for hair, nails, skin.. also take Calcium..

Some Hair loss is normal. Usually when you are not getting enough Protein on a daily basis excess hair loss can happen.

I did quite a bit of research on this and found that it really doesn't matter what you do, you most likely will have some Hair loss. Mine didn't start until about 5 months but most of my other April buddies started a lot earlier. I can already see that it is slowing down considerably and I really didn't loose much. Taking Biotin can help but from my research, not a whole lot. It is part of the process and WILL end. Here is a link with some info! Hang in there!!http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/150034/bypass-bariatric/

This has been one of my big worries - I have thin hair to begin with! I did start taking 10,000 IUs of dissolving Bioten every day about 2 months ago, and I've already seen a change and I don't have surgery until Dec. 2nd!

I don't see Hair loss other than a couple of strands daily, and my hair actually started growing new strands and the worse part is I fight the 'fuzzies' constantly...but I'm ok with that :)

CJ

A recent review of major studies on Biotin showed it was not effective, but there are still lots of people who believe in it. It just grew hairs on my chin!

It does help to use a gentle Shampoo and conditioner, some of the new ones that minimize hair loss due to breakage, and try to shampoo a little less often. Go easy with hair dryer, curling Iron and other tools. Maybe shift your part or zig zag it to make it less obvious if your hair is thinning up front. Sometimes having your hair cut with layers makes it less obvious. Your hairdresser should be able to offer suggestions.

A recent review of major studies on Biotin showed it was not effective' date=' but there are still lots of people who believe in it. It just grew hairs on my chin!

It does help to use a gentle Shampoo and conditioner, some of the new ones that minimize hair loss due to breakage, and try to shampoo a little less often. Go easy with hair dryer, curling Iron and other tools. Maybe shift your part or zig zag it to make it less obvious if your hair is thinning up front. Sometimes having your hair cut with layers makes it less obvious. Your hairdresser should be able to offer suggestions.[/quote']

Too funny! ;)

Thank u all for all the ideas and suggestions... It is nice to know you are not alone... I am using the Biotin, changed my Shampoo to one for thinning hair, I don't use appliances and have worn it short quite some time. I have increases my Protein and have adjusted my part. I just thank the dear Lord I was blessed with a thick head if hair. And if I grow any more hair on my chin I will be the bearded lady

Thank u all for all the ideas and suggestions... It is nice to know you are not alone... I am using the biotin' date=' changed my Shampoo to one for thinning hair, I don't use appliances and have worn it short quite some time. I have increases my Protein and have adjusted my part. I just thank the dear Lord I was blessed with a thick head if hair. And if I grow any more hair on my chin I will be the bearded lady[/quote']

I feel with the chin hair

Thank u all for all the ideas and suggestions... It is nice to know you are not alone... I am using the biotin' date=' changed my Shampoo to one for thinning hair, I don't use appliances and have worn it short quite some time. I have increases my Protein and have adjusted my part. I just thank the dear Lord I was blessed with a thick head if hair. And if I grow any more hair on my chin I will be the bearded lady[/quote']

I feel you with the chin hair

I am almost 6 months out, I've lost 110 lbs and I have yet to lose hair so you could end up one of the lucky ones. So far I have ( knocking on wood as I type).

hw 338 sw 318 (5/20/13) cw 210

I actually started on Biotin in May of this year when I knew the band would have to come out. I am noticing some Hair loss from that surgery, but also see a lot of new growth. Now I'm only two months out the 11th from bypass, so will see what December brings. I also use a very special Shampoo and conditioner and if need be minoxidil liquid to put on the scalp, which came with the shampoo and conditioner, which is suppose to help. I do know that some blood pressure medications have minoxidil in them because of facial growth and the doctor I worked for actually teased me about growing a mustache, I didn't but did develop facial peach fuzz.