Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the Sleeve on Jan 8th 2013, Now due to Bile Reflux, I have to have the RYN. Please share you experiences on how recovery went, did you have drains? How Long in Hospital, how many cuts? Anything you can add, and PLEASE PLEASE don't Sugar Coat it....I want the cold hard truth.....Thanks

So, I really thought the RNY was a piece of cake. No sugar coating. It just wasn't that big of a deal. I've had a c-section, gallbladder removal, lap band put in, and lap band taken out, and now RNY. It was uncomfortable, I used meds regularly for 2 days then rarely, by day 5 or 6 I was on meds at bedtime only, sleeping on my tummy with a side propped on a pillow. Day 9 I was back to work (exhausted but back to work). My biggest complaints post op were nausea and fatigue. The nausea I eventually figured out was hunger so eating more often helped that greatly, I still occasionally get randomly queasy but it's pretty rare. The fatigue was pretty severe for 6 weeks, I'd come home, sit down, and not move all night. At six weeks that disappeared and I was feeling great. Greatest thing I've ever done for myself. My RNY was a bit trickier and longer because of all the scar tissue from my band issues but still, after 2 days, unless I did something stupid, I was just really very very sore.

Good luck!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

I have to be honest. My recovery was easy. I was in the hospital for 2 days. I walked the halls a lot and walked a lot more than what was asked of me. It really helped me to feel better. I took some pain medication just for a week. I was a little sore and weak but other than that I came out like a champ. I had no complications whatsoever.

Pretty much the same story for me. Two days in the hospital. Surgery started at 7:35am and I was in recovery before 10:00. In my room at noon and walking by 2:00pm. They had me on a morphine pump the day of the surgery but I never used it. Pain was minimal. The day after the surgery I took Tylenol with codeine twice and that was it for pain meds. As I recall, there were four roughly one inch incisions. I did have a drain that they removed just before I went home on the second day. Removing it was not what I would call pleasant (they're pretty much pulling a hose out of your "insides") but it was not painful.

The bottom line is that the surgery was nothing even remotely approaching what my overactive imagination thought it would be. I really laugh at myself when I think of all of the worry about what it would be like versus what the reality was. RnY has a history spanning well over 30 years. They pretty much have it perfected.

You're gonna love the new you!!

So' date=' I really thought the RNY was a piece of cake. No sugar coating. It just wasn't that big of a deal. I've had a c-section, gallbladder removal, lap band put in, and lap band taken out, and now RNY. It was uncomfortable, I used meds regularly for 2 days then rarely, by day 5 or 6 I was on meds at bedtime only, sleeping on my tummy with a side propped on a pillow. Day 9 I was back to work (exhausted but back to work). My biggest complaints post op were nausea and fatigue. The nausea I eventually figured out was hunger so eating more often helped that greatly, I still occasionally get randomly queasy but it's pretty rare. The fatigue was pretty severe for 6 weeks, I'd come home, sit down, and not move all night. At six weeks that disappeared and I was feeling great. Greatest thing I've ever done for myself. My RNY was a bit trickier and longer because of all the scar tissue from my band issues but still, after 2 days, unless I did something stupid, I was just really very very sore.

Good luck!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198[/quote']

Soccermomma, with all those surgeries were they still able to do yours laproscopically? I'm a little worried b/c I had emergency surgery on both my appendix and gallbladder a couple months apart a little over a year ago. They're saying I might have to have a full incision due to scar tissue. Just looking to see what I might wake up with! :)

Soccermomma' date=' with all those surgeries were they still able to do yours laproscopically? I'm a little worried b/c I had emergency surgery on both my appendix and gallbladder a couple months apart a little over a year ago. They're saying I might have to have a full incision due to scar tissue. Just looking to see what I might wake up with! :)[/quote']

Yup! No problem. Also fixed a hiatal hernia when I had my RNY. If I remember correctly I had 2 tiny puncture wounds, 2 small incisions, then 1 larger that was around an inch. None were very big at all.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

I had no issues either. 2 days, 1 night in the hospital. Little pain, quick recovery, stopped pain meds 4 days out. I didn't even have fatigue - I cut the grass in my 1 1/2 acre yard after nine days, same as I always did. Went back to work at two weeks but could've in one. I have six very small incisions (soon to be more when my gallbladder comes out in Dec). I didn't have a drain or a catheter. The most uncomfortable thing I experienced in the whole process was the gas pains a couple days out and a strange itchy rash on my belly that they decided was some sort of allergic reaction to something surgery-related (they could never figure out what). All in all, it was no big deal. :-)

Terry, i was about to get worried but you bright me hope. I'm a single Mom with no help. my daughter is 3. So the day i come home from the hospital it'll be me and her. I'm nervous about that

Three is fairly independent. Make her your nurse. She'll love taking care of you. :-)

My doctor doesn't do a catheter for a surgery of such a short duration. They told me it only takes 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. Some doctors do drains but mine didn't. I don't know what determines if you get one. Maybe you should ask your doctor or his PA? They would be your best reliable source of info for what YOU can expect.

Best of luck to you!

Three is fairly independent. Make her your nurse. She'll love taking care of you. :-)

Thanks, yes she is very independent. I first considered weight lots surgery in 2011 but no way with an infant and i wish i had decided sooner, but everything happens for a reason. I am so ready

Soccermomma, with all those surgeries were they still able to do yours laproscopically? I'm a little worried b/c I had emergency surgery on both my appendix and gallbladder a couple months apart a little over a year ago. They're saying I might have to have a full incision due to scar tissue. Just looking to see what I might wake up with! :)

I have a family and personal history of adhesions (scar tissue from previous surgeries). I had my gall bladder out years before my Rny. It was intended to be laparoscopic but when the surgeon got in there he decided to do it "open" because of the scar tissue I had from an appendectomy when I was a kid. I advised my RnY surgeon of all of this and she said she would do it laparascopically if possible, "open" if not. Took her a little longer (surgery was about two and a half hours) but she was able to do it laparascopically and as I discussed above, recovery was amazingly quick and problem/pain free.

You're gonna love the new you!!

I had the Sleeve on Jan 8th 2013' date=' Now due to Bile Reflux, I have to have the RYN. Please share you experiences on how recovery went, did you have drains? How Long in Hospital, how many cuts? Anything you can add, and PLEASE PLEASE don't Sugar Coat it....I want the cold hard truth.....Thanks[/quote']

So out if all the surgeries I have had RNY was one of the easiest. In hospital one night (horrible experience with the night nurse - however due to me I think she lost her job). No drain and they gave me 5 small incisions . I was given dilaud due to morphine not working on me.

I have had in my life ranking hardest to easiest

Both shoulders - bone spur

Ablation of uterus

3 knee surgeries - soccer

Hysterectomy

Several laperscopes - for ovarian cyst and tying my tubes

Gallbladder

Rny

Hip surgery - car accident

Thanks for all the input, I Had the Sleeve Jan of this year, and Gallbladder remove Feb of this year. I have not asked, Put I hope they fan do it Laperscopy, and NOT opened. How do they know how much "scar" tissue you have?

So out if all the surgeries I have had RNY was one of the easiest. In hospital one night (horrible experience with the night nurse - however due to me I think she lost her job). No drain and they gave me 5 small incisions . I was given dilaud due to morphine not working on me.

I have had in my life ranking hardest to easiest

Both shoulders - bone spur

Ablation of uterus

3 knee surgeries - soccer

Hysterectomy

Several laperscopes - for ovarian cyst and tying my tubes

Gallbladder

Rny

Hip surgery - car accident

Shoulder surgery was DEFINATELY hardest!!! I had surgery to remove bone spurs 4 yrs ago, and they found I also had a torn rotator cuff. Very painfull and loooong recovery. RNY was piece of cake by comparison!