Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who To Believe

I've been researching the lap band for a few months and know I need to do something about my weight, so I finally convinced my hubby and went ahead and started figuring out a date that would work for me. So I booked with Dr. Rodrigeuz in Del Rio, then I got a call from a different patiant co. and she was telling me the lap band isn't the way to go that i wouldn't be able to drink alcohol or eat spicy food, which I will never give up!! So she suggested the mini gastric sleeve, it really bugs me that I would have 60 % of my stomach removed and besides I cannot afford the price difference. So then I phone Dr Rodrigeuz in Monterrey and spoke to him directly, I liked this, no middle man to deal with. He suggested the band would be the best. Any comments on the lap band or Dr Rodriguez?

My opinion is that lapband is the very best choice for most people. It is far safer and is removeable and adjustable. And Yes you can eat spicy foods, or at least I can, and you can drink alcohol, although it is very high in calories. If you are a bulk eater then imo the band is the way to go. Re routing of innards scares the bejeebees out of me.

I have been banded 18 almost 19 months and eat spicy foods all the time. I have had a few drinks, but have never been a heavy drinker. Not sure where this patient co got the info but it sounds like they are not very well informed, that would scare me away from that practice. ~Mandy

I was never warned against spicy foods. I was told to avoid spicy and highly acidic foods during the healing period.....but not for life. I am in South Texas and most of what I eat is spicy, or served with salsa or jalapenos the side. I havent had any problems with the food or with alcohol.

If push came to shove, I could give up the occasional drink I have---but DO NOT get between me and my Mexican food!!! I love it, I eat it all the time. I had Armadillo eggs tonight---aka stuffed jalapenos!! Hot an Spicy foods, are no problem. Neither have the few drinks I have had been a problem. I have changed, and when I have a drink, I do not have any carbonation.....but I lived!!!

I would do what YOU want....YOU are paying for it....YOU have to live with the body alterations if you opt for the mini....YOU should have the final say.

Good Luck!!!

Kat

I love my chilli and spicy foods, banding has not caused any problems at all in that regard. As for alcohol, I chose not to drink because of other health issues and medication ( plus empty calories) but there is no reason why the band would stop me- you are advised not to drink any fluids at the same time you eat ( easier to get used to than you may think!)

Out of interest, was the patient centre that suggested the sleeve a US based centre?? It has been suggested in some articles that I have read that some surgeons in the states still lean towards the RNY, DS, sleeve etc as the band has been done for a relatively short space of time in the states- plus innamed insists that all surgeons are proctored by an someone experienced with the band- it was suggested that some surgeons chose not to go down this route as it may cause dsruption to their practices. The same procotoring is not required with the other techniques.

IF you are comfortable with your surgeon, and have done research about both procedure ( look for artcles on pubmed etc- not just practice web sites and forums)- have confidence in your decision. Ask the person who gave you the negative info to give you a reference for where the information came from- its too bigger decision to make based on anecdotal evidence,

I have plenty of spicy foods, and enjoy the occasional alcoholic drink. No problems with either, and nobody ever said that I couldn't have them.

I have heard good things about your doc from other bandits, but as I am in Australia, have no personal experience of him to share with you.

I would ignore the sales pitch and go with the lapband. It is the safest, least likely to cause short or long-term complications, has great success, is safe, and is REVERSIBLE. It sounds like that has been recommended as a good option for you, and at the end of the day, you still have the option of the other surgery in the rare chance that you might need it. Once you start with a gastric sleeve, there's no going back for a lapband later.

Follow your heart, and good luck in your journey.

I've been researching the lap band for a few months and know I need to do something about my weight, so I finally convinced my hubby and went ahead and started figuring out a date that would work for me. So I booked with Dr. Rodrigeuz in Del Rio, then I got a call from a different patiant co. and she was telling me the lap band isn't the way to go that i wouldn't be able to drink alcohol or eat spicy food, which I will never give up!! So she suggested the mini gastric sleeve, it really bugs me that I would have 60 % of my stomach removed and besides I cannot afford the price difference. So then I phone Dr Rodrigeuz in Monterrey and spoke to him directly, I liked this, no middle man to deal with. He suggested the band would be the best. Any comments on the lap band or Dr Rodriguez?

I think it's a great idea to research the different surgeries and make sure you pick the one best for you, but I wouldn't use info in an unsolicited sales call as part of that. Which is what it sounds like you got.

I drink a glass of wine once in a while, pretty much what I did before. I can't drink beer anymore, I tried one and it made me really uncomfortable. I eat spicy food a lot, it hasn't caused me any problems at all.

Alcohol is recommended against simply because of the empty calories. I seem to be able to stand spicier food now than I used to (maybe because I'm pickier about quality??).

Pardon the pun, but go with your gut!

I eat tons and tons of spicy food (well, not "tons" but you get the idea) and I drink a minimum of two glasses of wine every single day. I've lost 83 pounds in one year.

I've found that most people who speak out against the band are simply trying to sell a different surgery. Everything is a sales pitch these days!

Oh Yeah.

LOVE the spicy food. We eat lots of curry and mexican food. No problems here.

I drink occasionally - but not often since I favor rum in sugary punch... or pina coladas. NOT exactly lo-cal delights...

Just avoid the Champagne. I took a SIP on New Year's Eve... and lived to regret it. Carbonation is very uncomfortable.

Research all the choices and make the best choice for you and your life.

Good Luck!

hi everyone, well what a gong show these last few days were. Sent away for my passpost a few weeks ago because you cannot board a plane going to the states without a passport (this started Jan1/07) so I phone to see how much longer and low and behold they are experiencing a large volume of applications and it will take up to 4 months!!!!! what a joke!!! So I'm bound and determined to get this done by summer so we are going to drive from Red Deer, Alberta, to San Diego with my husband, mom and 4 children. Pretty sure this will be a trip to remember!!

Because we are driving I decided to go with Dr.Kuri in Tijuana, this is alittle closer then driving to Del rio where I was researching Dr. Jose Rodriguez. Anyone have any comment about Dr.Kuri.

Hey Stacey - you might need that passport to cross the border, too.

You had better check with somebody at Border Patrol before you make that long drive.

Hugs!

I think that until next year you can walk or drive across the borders with a picture ID---but that WILL be changing. We applied for my DD's passport in case she should ever accompany me for anything, and they told us 4-6 MONTHS!!! Price went up and so did the wait!!!

Even the price to get the picture went up when the new laws went into effect!

You do already have to have a passport to fly in, the only way you can get in without now is to be face to face with a border agent, and a picture ID.

Sounds like you have quite the trip ahead of you---be sure to pack things to have for the trip home, it may be challenging.

Kat