Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Operation Status for MEXICO

:unsure: Hello to all and I am so glad I found this site. I am getting kind of scared.

I have been overweight alot of my life and 38% BMI now at 5'7", 245 pounds.

I am retired from my lifes work at 50 but this weight is really getting me down for my second job and passion

I have now been successfully DENIED by Blue Cross for this surgery Roux en Y as I guess my knees and not being able to walk is not important to them

Appeals denied and miserable as ever, I heard of the Mexico option.

I researched alot, chatted with some locals that went to MEXICO for the Gastric Plication and found Obesity Control Center online. Dr Ortiz.

I found the patient advocate to be WONDERFUL, CAROLYN WILLIAMSON and the AM I was finally denied AGAIN by Blue Cross, I got on the phone with Carolyn and set a surgery date of Dec 27, 2011

I had to get a passport and that was the best date after all is said and done here to meet so Dec 27, 2011 it is.

I am glad I went thru all the PRE OP stuff in the states with the Bariatric clinic I was set up with so I have all the medical records to take with.

I was hoping to hear some words of wisdom from anyone out there that have gone to OCC in MEXICO and used Dr Ortiz for the Plication

My Biggest fear is the sutures coming undone after procedure.....

What do I expect when there?

What about security of my items when I am in surgery and travel in MEXICO?

Any comments for the world on this stuff??

I can't recommend plication. I had the op nearly a year ago and I don't have much restriction. Personally if I could do it over I'd go with the sleeve as that seems to have better weightloss.

One stat I didn't know is below.

overall weight loss was considered satisfactory in 78.6% of the patients who underwent gastric plication and in 97.5% of those who underwent sleeve.

http://www.skrekas.n...mstatistics.htm

I'm seriously looking at revising to the duodenal switch (DS) for just the intestines and leaving my stomach alone. I've spoken to a couple of well regarded surgeons who will do it. The DS is a big big decision and something I've been looking into for almost a year (not long after I got the plication as I didn't have much restriction from really early on).

:huh: Still need to research

I have taken to heart UR post and another post on this . I am now on the phone with the Patient advocate. I think I am opting for the SLEEVE....... Need to change my flight by one day. Thank U. S

All the best.

I have taken to heart UR post and another post on this . I am now on the phone with the Patient advocate. I think I am opting for the SLEEVE....... Need to change my flight by one day. Thank U. S

I'm seriously looking at revising to the duodenal switch (DS) for just the intestines and leaving my stomach alone. I've spoken to a couple of well regarded surgeons who will do it. The DS is a big big decision and something I've been looking into for almost a year (not long after I got the plication as I didn't have much restriction from really early on).

I wish you well.

:) I am going forward with the sleeve.

I am booked , deposit paid and received.

food bought.

Flight Booked.

PLAN IN MOTION

All this choice stuff is overwhelming.

Blue cross got my APPEAL and are "REviewing it"

By the time I get the next "DENIED" from them, I will be enroute to Mexico or Home, in one piece I hope....

S

I am glad you're happy with your decision...I had the plication with Dr. Ortiz almost 4 weeks ago and I could not be happier...I looked into both the plication and sleeve and for me the plication seemed less invasive and what I was looking for, (no cutting, reversible if needed, ect). I was very happy with Carolyn also and with staff...I wish you best of luck and my best advice is to stick to pre-op diet and post op diet..it truly effects your progress and recovery time. Best wishes!

:P I love these faces.

Anyway, I agree with the diet stuff. I went thru 2 rounds of Bypass stuff in the USA to Be denied by BLUE CROSS

I went to the Nutrition classes and got alot from them

I have ordered the liquid diet stuff , Vitamins from Bariatric Advantage and will do the diet PRE OP as directed

Post Op, I have the schedule down, food catalogs for the liquid stuff, etc and will for sure stick with it

I am commited and I am glad U had a great experience. I thought Carolyn was a great one to deal with

Where are U located?

What about being UNDER

Was the experience good ?

Did they put U under and did U wake UP without fear or being unable to talk or communicate but being sound in UR thoughts?

I had a bad experience in the USA with coming out of surgery, mask on, could not talk, felt like I was drowning.

Lasted seconds but an EXPERIENCE of a lifetime.....

S

S~

Just to answer some of your question...which were totally some of the same questions I had.....I am located in Texas..so it was a trip for me....I originally planned to fly into SD on one day...have pre-op tests then have surgery the next am...but we (husband and I) got into SD early and Carolyn wanted me to think about having it all the same day..pre-op tests..then surgery...then having 2 days to rest at hotel...I was glad I did that..it was a long day but it left me less time to worry...I was very happy with pre-op test...I am asthmatic and since I was so nervous my asthma was acting up..they were very cautious about that..gave me some breathing treatments before and after surgery...which impressed me that they were that through. As far as going 'under'....I got something in my IV before they took me in the OR which took the edge off...and it was a great experience...I remember them talking to me then just falling to sleep..next thing I remember I was in my room and my husband was talking to me....just very mellow the rest of the day..and slept great that first night...had very good one and one nursing care. I am in the medical field myself so I paid very close attention to everything they did..making sure they were compliant with safety and sterility as in states...and they were..if not better. Much better one and one care than here in states.

Again, I do have to stress that I am now dealing with my own patience...and not thinking that the weight will just fall off in weeks..this will take time..I am losing...but you get so excited and want everyhting to happen right away, I have to keep it all in perspective....stomach does stay swollen for a few weeks and just now does my abdomen feel normal...so all of that has to do with weight loss..not to mention a shock to system....just dont get discouraged....

On a side note..the hotel we stayed at (Mariott) was wonderful too...great survice and they got whatever I needed being a patient of Dr. Ortiz....their broth was yummy!

Keep in touch and keep the quesitons coming!!! I've been there.....just a few weeks ago..where you are now!

:P I love these faces.

Anyway, I agree with the diet stuff. I went thru 2 rounds of Bypass stuff in the USA to Be denied by BLUE CROSS

I went to the Nutrition classes and got alot from them

I have ordered the liquid diet stuff , Vitamins from Bariatric Advantage and will do the diet PRE OP as directed

Post Op, I have the schedule down, food catalogs for the liquid stuff, etc and will for sure stick with it

I am commited and I am glad U had a great experience. I thought Carolyn was a great one to deal with

Where are U located?

What about being UNDER

Was the experience good ?

Did they put U under and did U wake UP without fear or being unable to talk or communicate but being sound in UR thoughts?

I had a bad experience in the USA with coming out of surgery, mask on, could not talk, felt like I was drowning.

Lasted seconds but an EXPERIENCE of a lifetime.....

S

:lol: I am so glad to hear this as the going under is alot for me. I just do not want to wake up paralyzed and struggling to breath, then coming to. Happened in the USA when I had Carpal Tunnel surgery and what a NIGHTMARE. Thank U for easing my mind....

I have been in TEXAS alot. I have a co breeder best pal in Phoenix AZ and we have gone to TEXAS for dog stuff. I have a friend in WACO and I have flown into Dallas for a dog show in the market place last DEC 2010. The heat in TEXAS is tough but there are alot of dog people in Texas that I have worked with and been in and out for a time. I now have a handler for my dogs in Indiana and I hope to fly back in APRIL for a dog show in MD. I want to be skinny enough by APRIL to show my pup in a class in the big annual Poodle Club of America show in April.

Lots to look forward to.

S

I am looking to do this in Mexico being that this is not covered by my insurance in the US. Ive seen so many bad and good reports on this Dr. Ortiz that I dont know what to think. As a nurse from the states you were actually comforatble going into a strip mall shared by a adult super store to get this procedure done?

I have heard of people who have had bacterial infections, people waking up out of their surgery in pitch blackness, over crowded recovery house, filthy recovery house. But I have also heard that it went good.

Its a condsiderable amount less than the actual hospital that is recommended in the area, but I dont know yet that it would be worth the risk.

I have just heard if this plication surgery and considering it over lap band, merely do to the upkeep and revisits that have to be done to fill and adjust the saline in the band.. How does one get fill if they do lap band in Mexico? Being that I live in WI not sd or LA i dont think of it as even an option.

I like that this surgery is less evasive and the only foreign object is the souchers, I do worry about the losing weight factor, it seems like some people have hadall sorts of experiences with the weightloss all over the board. But it doesnt fll in the blanks like what they ate and how they exercised..

Oi- whats a girl to do?

:blink: Not sure where U have heard bad things about OCC in Mexico or about Dr Ortiz.

I missed all those reports.

Please advise so I can look them up

I am actually set for Surgery at OCC Dec 27, 2011 but now the BLUE CROSS in the USA Approved my RNY, I have an option for this procedure.

Please let me know where to go for the bad report info

First I have heard about sub standard conditions

S. Cook

yes, I would really like to hear about any "bad" conditions as well. I was considering the band, but now have read more about plication and am leaning towards it instead. I would like to hear any horror stories about OCC. Anyone have any ?