Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Close to deciding?

This forum seems kind of slow. Is this because plication isn't really a popular choice? Or is there a lot of people out there like me that are still deciding about wls? Some days I am 90% sure, other days 10%. I was coming on the forum for research but now support. If there is anyone out there that has been lurking for awhile because they are undecided about plication? I am looking for a plication partner in crime that is in the same boat as me. I'm in my late 30's, from Canada, according to science should lose 80lbs but would be happy with 50-60. I'm single, so I don't have the dear hubby that so many of you have relied on for a support system, and none of my girlfriends have to worry about wls. Anyways if anyone is lurking out there in the same boat, let me know!

By the way, thank you to everyone that has already done the surgery that keeps posting whether good or bad experiences, it really helps.

Hi

I revised to a lapband with plication in Feb 2011 here in california. I have lost close to 60 pounds in 6 months and I couldn't be happier. I also considered the VSG but had a really hard time dealing with the idea of the doctor cutting out 80% of a perfectly good stomach. I hope to lose about another 40 or so pounds and I am okay with it taking me another 6 months. You should consider all of your options and maybe visit the VSG board as well. Hope this helps. Take care

Well if I had to do it all over again I would not do the Plication,You do not loose the weight that they tell you.This is reality.Been there,I would go with the Sleeve ,yes It envolves cutting the stomack but it is safer than the plication and it is Aproved, ,and you will reach your goal weight,And do not go to Mexico ,if something happens you are on your own,The Drs there don't care,and the DR that I went to makes you sign a waiver saying even if you died he is not responsable.

While I agree with Lena that the weight loss can be very slow with the plication and there are many people struggling with that on here, I do not agree that the sleeve is safer. I did quite a bit of research on the plication and sleeve and felt the plication was definitely the safer choice as sleeves have a higher incidence of leaks. Unfortunately, Lena had a horrible experience with complications with the plication, and I thank her for sharing her experience so that people will know that complications can happen with ANY of the weight loss surgeries. And I'm not quite sure what is meant by the sleeve being "approved" and implying the plication is not. The plication is no longer on clinical trials and is being done widespread across the country. Also, there are MANY people on both this website and the Vertical Sleeve site who have had wonderful experiences in Mexico. Although I agree there isn't the opportunity to sue if something goes wrong like you would in the US, which is one of the reasons I chose a US doctor.

There are definitely more people who read these forums than post. As I write this message, there are 4700+ registered users. There were 47 guests and only 4 registered users viewing it at the moment. That makes me believe there are lots of people who are reading it, but aren't actively posting.

I would suggest to you that you also read the forums over at the VSG board and the lap band board. If you spend the time reading enough posts you can see for yourself if the advantages and disadvantages for the plication make it more attractive than the other procedures.

I personally researched the band and VSG two years ago and wasn't satisfied with the tradeoffs of each surgery. The plication satisfied my concerns. You can read the individual posts on the board here and get a sense of what people have experienced. Personally, I had mine done a little over two months ago. I've lost nearly 40 lbs. It's involved changing much of my life (diet and greatly increased exercise). There have been days where it's been easy, and there have been days where the mental struggle to break 36 years of terrible eating habits has been hard. The weight hasn't come off in a perfect line toward my goal weight, but the overall trend has been one of weight loss.

There are no guarantees for any of the procedures. Research your options and make the decision that you feel best about if you elect to have surgery. I wish you luck in your journey.

I would agree with Jenn, FattoPhat, and Mednar...research your options and definitely check out the VSG board, but for me I am pretty much happy with my plication. I am 3 and a half months out, and have lost 34 lbs (not including any pre-surgery losses). While I had hoped for a little faster weight loss, the slower weight loss is getting me where I want to be. I have gone from a very tight size 22 to the point where I am now wearing some size 16's and some (tight) size 14's! I have to admit that I am bad...I have something sweet almost every day, and still I am losing weight. Although it might be slower than others who are super good, I don't feel deprived at all.

I am in my mid/late 30's and I was very concerned about excess skin. Overall I have to say I am pleased with the way my skin is rebounding...I don't think that if I lost it fast like with other wls methods I would be as happy with my skin. Hubby was just telling me this morning that he thinks my skin is tightening wonderfully (he knows I worry about that).

I think the sleeve is a great wls, but there are some concerns I personally had, and it just didn't feel 100% right for me. For you, it might be exactly what you are looking for. We are all different, have different genetics, health concerns, lifestyles, and issues. I wouldn't say that either the plication or the sleeve is better than the other, just different and will provide different things for different folks.

As for going out of the country, I would do it again, and in fact I am thinking about having an out of country boob job once I get to my goal weight. I would stress that you need to know some Spanish, or have flash cards to ask for basic things (pain meds, help with going to bathroom, etc...). Also know that you are going to have to take the initiative more than the patient who has their surgery in the US and has a full pre/post op care plan. These boards have been very helpful for that. If you have a question at any time, just ask/research these boards...I'm sure one of the posters or lurkers (and there are a ton of them!) have the answer.

I personally correspond off the boards with a couple of the posters that I felt I had a lot in common with. These email conversations have been very inspiring and helpful. Maybe you can find someone on here that you can at least have that connection with. Good luck in whatever route you decide to take!

FWIW and IMO I'd say that this surgery appears to favor heavier BMIs. My BMI was 30 and Lena's was low 30s too. This surgery stops you having an outright binge, but I never really ate to that level.

HTH smile.gif

FWIW and IMO I'd say that this surgery appears to favor heavier BMIs. My BMI was 30 and Lena's was low 30s too. This surgery stops you having an outright binge, but I never really ate to that level.

HTH smile.gif

I would agree...but will they do the sleeve on people with BMIs in the low 30's? I thought plication and the band was the only real option for BMIs in the low 30's, but I haven't really researched it, so that might be totally wrong.

I agree with those who say there are trade-offs to all the surgeries. One difference that may account for some of the weight loss differences between plication and sleeve that I learned from my surgeon right before my surgery is that with sleeve and gastric bypass the metabolism seems to stay the same, but with lap band and plication (or imbrication) the metabolism seems to slow down. I wasn't happy to hear this, but I still did not want my stomach cut or re-routed. He recommended for my high BMI over 50 banded plication or bandication. I am only 3 weeks out from surgery so I can't speak to this personally. I hope to keep my metabolism burning high by the choices of foods I eat and exercise.

weight.png

I agree with those who say there are trade-offs to all the surgeries. One difference that may account for some of the weight loss differences between plication and sleeve that I learned from my surgeon right before my surgery is that with sleeve and gastric bypass the metabolism seems to stay the same, but with lap band and plication (or imbrication) the metabolism seems to slow down. I wasn't happy to hear this, but I still did not want my stomach cut or re-routed. He recommended for my high BMI over 50 banded plication or bandication. I am only 3 weeks out from surgery so I can't speak to this personally. I hope to keep my metabolism burning high by the choices of foods I eat and exercise.

TravelHappy - did your surgeon give any explanation as to why the metabolism slows down with plication?

but with lap band and plication (or imbrication) the metabolism seems to slow down.

I don't know anything about the band, but this has been my theory for the last three or so months, since shortly after having plication.

They 'supposedly' do, but my doc was trying to push me towards the band on the day of my op given that I only just scraped in at a BMI of 30! angry.gif I think it's not that easy finding a reputable doctor to do it (I think Dr Aceves does it).

I liked the fact that Angeles Health covered any complication costs as I've heard tales of thousands of dollars of expense on different forums. Plus I spoke to a surgeon who only operated on BMI 35+ and he strongly recommended the plication. He's meant to be pretty senior in eastern Europe and given he wasn't going to get anything from me I trusted the advice.

I would agree...but will they do the sleeve on people with BMIs in the low 30's? I thought plication and the band was the only real option for BMIs in the low 30's, but I haven't really researched it, so that might be totally wrong.

This is a restriction only procedure, so in effect a 'diet'. If you restrict calories for long enough your metabolism can indeed slow down.

With bypass (RNY) you only malabsorb calories for 2 years by which time the intestine adapts and this ceases. You still malabsorb nutrients and have to supplement for the rest of your life, but the 2 year malabsorption thing is why many RNYers regain and seek revisions.

I don't know anything about the band, but this has been my theory for the last three or so months, since shortly after having plication.

I'm optimistic for you with your band over plication. Hopefully this will give you better restriction, but being in less need of fills you may have less problems than a lot bandsters experience.

Jenn also had the same procedure as you but is further out.

weight.png

TravelHappy - did your surgeon give any explanation as to why the metabolism slows down with plication?

He said he doesn't know why. It is one reason he favors the banded plication so that the lap band can help keep weight loss going over time.