Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pouch still works!

Hi everyone! So I'm 2 years post op and have lost a total of 110lbs with 20 more I'd really like to lose. That last 20 doesn't want to budge as easy though! ???? Anyway, tonight for supper I made a low carb spinach lasagna which was amazing and a regular lasagna for the family with garlic knot rolls. I thought I'd have a half of the roll, well it seemed to go down so easy I thought I would have the other half. And they were BIG rolls too!! Ummmm big mistake!!! I got up from the table and told my husband I needed to lay down a few minutes before cleaning the kitchen. That few minutes was more like 30 seconds and I hit the bathroom and got so sick!!! I vomited, heart was racing, face was red, broke out into a cold sweat...I felt like I'd been hit by a big truck!!! I tell you all that for this reason. I had gotten discouraged and felt like I could eat healthy or pretty much what I want now and that my pouch was simply just done. That it had served its purpose and didn't work anymore. Well tonight I found out otherwise!!! While it was a horrible experience, it lifted a weight off my shoulders too because I realized that my body just cannot handle certain foods and that it's up to me to monitor and choose carefully what I put in my body! With that being said, I'm determined to get this 20 lbs left off!! Protein here I come and if the bread basket is passed my way, I will remember tonight's terrible experience and pass with a smile. Dumping syndrome sucks with a capital S! But it did give perspective and power over bad choices which I thought I was losing. So thankful my "pouch" had the final say tonight and reminded me that just because it looks good doesn't mean it is! Good luck to all who read this and we do have the power and strength to win this battle over food and weight!! Hang in there!!! :)

I'm 17 months post op and have had some situations just like you = lesson learned !!! Even though you are a year +++ post op you pouch still works - LOL.

"I'm determined to get this 20 lbs left off!! Protein here I come and if the bread basket is passed my way, I will remember tonight's terrible experience and pass with a smile. Dumping syndrome sucks with a capital S! But it did give perspective and power over bad choices which I thought I was losing."

Your comment is like a perfect testimonial to food logs. If you're not logging or stopped after your rapid weight loss, you might want to consider starting or starting again. The confidence logging will give you is amazing. "Power over bad choices" is the very definition of food logs. Personally, I believe that the further out you get, the more important and beneficial logging becomes.

Congratulations on a great job! Bet you're loving the new you!!

Good Afternoon to all -

I have a question regarding the pouch. I had my surgery in June of 2013. some days I feel like I fill up quickly and other days I could eat until the cows come home. Other people have explained that it seems to be based on if the food is cut up very small or chewed very well that you can intake more food that if you DON'T cut it up small or chew it less.

I am being very careful to stay within my food guidelines, but wanted to know if the stomach can be stretched if you are not careful. Has anyone found the accurate amount of food that really works for them? My PA told me that it could be any where from 5 oz to 8 oz per meal depending on how the food was cut up.

Any help would be appreciated. I have lost 65 lbs since June and would like to keep it going. Also I am not longer a lap-band patient but have switched over to bypass.

Thanks,

Mystalia

Edited by Mystalia

I am 12 days out and haven't had any dumping. The only problem was when I had some coffee with Creamer but it wasn't an emergency, nor did I get sick. My doctor is pretty lenient and said I can return to normal foods as long as I was careful of stringy foods and foods that would swelll. I have been able to eat eggs and fish already. I have gotten full where I knew not to eat another bite but no pain....only concerned because everyone else seems to be on a different schedule then me?

Good Afternoon to all -

I have a question regarding the pouch. I had my surgery in June of 2013. some days I feel like I fill up quickly and other days I could eat until the cows come home. Other people have explained that it seems to be based on if the food is cut up very small or chewed very well that you can intake more food that if you DON'T cut it up small or chew it less.

I am being very careful to stay within my food guidelines, but wanted to know if the stomach can be stretched if you are not careful. Has anyone found the accurate amount of food that really works for them? My PA told me that it could be any where from 5 oz to 8 oz per meal depending on how the food was cut up.

Any help would be appreciated. I have lost 65 lbs since June and would like to keep it going. Also I am not longer a lap-band patient but have switched over to bypass.

Thanks,

Mystalia

Interesting question. I don't know if this will help you but from the beginning of my journey to right now, my focus has always been on Protein and calories as opposed to volume. That is not to say that I don't pay attention to portion sizes. I read labels for calorie, serving size and Protein information and when I have any doubt, weigh or measure my portions to ensure that I'm eating what I think I'm eating. But I've never considered how much volume or weight a meal should have. That might not be the best idea from a weight loss perspective since foods vary so widely in terms of calories vs volume or weight. Perhaps if you focus on protein and calories, and heed the signals from your pouch that it's full, the weight or volume question will take care of itself and the likelihood of stretching the pouch will be minimized.