Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with Aftercare

Can anyone tell me once they went home after Gastric Bypass , if they had to stay with someone or have someone with them for help in your care? I live alone and hate the thoughts of not coming back to my place, looks like I'm gonna have to go to a friends. If you did it alone share that with me on how it went !! If you recommend being with someone let me know why?? Thanks

my daughter stayed with me and it was a help to have her for the first day or two. But I am not used to someone "helping" me....so it was hard for me to let her do things for me. You will need to rest, walk and sip a lot those first few days and it is good to have someone there in case you need them. After the 3rd day I was up and on my own again and didnt need any assistance.

Hope all goes well for you and you are back home and recovering quickly! But do let someone care for you the first few days, dont be too brave!!

I live alone with 3 dogs (2 dogs at the time of surgery). My boyfriend stayed with me the first night I was home to take care of the dogs. If I did not have the dogs I probably would have been OK on my own. I think it all depends on how YOU feel, so people recover quick other no so quick. I think it would be best if you had someone stay with you the first night home.

my daughter stayed with me and it was a help to have her for the first day or two. But I am not used to someone "helping" me....so it was hard for me to let her do things for me. You will need to rest' date=' walk and sip a lot those first few days and it is good to have someone there in case you need them. After the 3rd day I was up and on my own again and didnt need any assistance.

Hope all goes well for you and you are back home and recovering quickly! But do let someone care for you the first few days, dont be too brave!![/quote']

Thanks so much!! Great help!!

I live alone with 3 dogs (2 dogs at the time of surgery). My boyfriend stayed with me the first night I was home to take care of the dogs. If I did not have the dogs I probably would have been OK on my own. I think it all depends on how YOU feel' date=' so people recover quick other no so quick. I think it would be best if you had someone stay with you the first night home.[/quote']

Thanks so much!!

The gastric bypass procedure is a type of bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery designed to reduce your food intake if you have tried and failed to lose weight through diet and exercise.

Gastric bypass can greatly improve the quality of life not only because of an improvement in appearance and an increase in mobility, but also because it can reduce the number and severity of health problems that overweight people are prone to suffer, such as diabetes and heart/circulation problems. Increasingly, the surgery is covered by gastric bypass insurance from both public and private insurers.

It is a complex procedure performed under general anesthesia — you sleep through it. Time in surgery is approximately one to four hours, followed by a one- to seven-day stay in the hospital.

Currently, two techniques are available for gastric bypass:

1.) Roux-en-Y-gastric bypass (traditional and laparoscopic)

2.) Biliopancreatic diversion bypass

Gastric bypass recovery and aftercare

After gastric bypass surgery, many patients spend two to three days in the hospital, or one to two days for the laparoscopic procedure. On average, most people require two to five weeks of recovery before returning to normal activities. For a number of days your abdomen will be swollen and sore, and you'll likely feel discomfort. Your doctor can prescribe medications to help you manage the discomfort. All the techniques leave a permanent scar, but normally scarring is covered by clothing.

Aftercare treatments typically include a dietary plan, regular exercise, behavioral-modification therapy, and Vitamin supplements. Your weight loss surgeon or plastic surgeon might require the use of a dietician, an exercise program, and possibly a psychologist for an extended period of time to assist you in your recovery. Plastic surgery after massive weight loss may be necessary to remove excess skin and fat and create a more shapely body profile. panniculectomy and body lift are common post-bariatric procedures.

I hope it will be useful to you.

I am married and still have one adult child at home so I'll have help if I need it. That being said I don't really expect to need help and I don't want anyone 'fussing' over me. I had shoulder surgery 4 yrs ago (rotator cuff & bone spurs) and did fine when left alone. I'm sure this will be easier, at least I'll have the use of both arms, and the recovery is faster. :-) I plan to treat my postop time like a vacation where you are forced to relax. I'm going to walk, read while soaking up the sun on my deck, and if it rains I'll catch up on the Tudors. Also I can research recipes for my new lifestyle, while focusing on getting all my fluids and Protein.

This is my plan... but everyone knows what happens to plans!

I am married and still have one adult child at home so I'll have help if I need it. That being said I don't really expect to need help and I don't want anyone 'fussing' over me. I had shoulder surgery 4 yrs ago (rotator cuff & bone spurs) and did fine when left alone. I'm sure this will be easier' date=' at least I'll have the use of both arms, and the recovery is faster. :-) I plan to treat my postop time like a vacation where you are forced to relax. I'm going to walk, read while soaking up the sun on my deck, and if it rains I'll catch up on the Tudors. Also I can research recipes for my new lifestyle, while focusing on getting all my fluids and Protein.

This is my plan... but everyone knows what happens to plans![/quote']

I think your plan sounds very doable! I am day 4 post op, and its not that bad now at this point. Some pain when meds are due, but nothing intolerable. My husband took the whole week off, but I think I could've been alone by today. Good luck to you!

I think your plan sounds very doable! I am day 4 post op' date=' and its not that bad now at this point. Some pain when meds are due, but nothing intolerable. My husband took the whole week off, but I think I could've been alone by today. Good luck to you![/quote']

And to you too! Do you feel that you needed someone with you the first couple of days? How do you take your pain meds? And how long might you need them? Do they make you loopy? There is a history of alcohol and substance abuse in my maternal family. Because of this I have a strong aversion to taking drugs longer than what is absolutely necessary. After my shoulder surgery I ditched the pills after four days and switched to over the counter nsaids (which I realize we can't take).

I'm anxious to get the surgery over with. I'm not nervous at all about it, I just want to begin my journey to better health. I am SO looking forward to the changes WLS will make in my life. And I'm looking forward to a restful vacation. I usually take on too many projects during my vacation and go back to work hurting. :-)

And to you too! Do you feel that you needed someone with you the first couple of days? How do you take your pain meds? And how long might you need them? Do they make you loopy? There is a history of alcohol and substance abuse in my maternal family. Because of this I have a strong aversion to taking drugs longer than what is absolutely necessary. After my shoulder surgery I ditched the pills after four days and switched to over the counter nsaids (which I realize we can't take).

I'm anxious to get the surgery over with. I'm not nervous at all about it' date=' I just want to begin my journey to better health. I am SO looking forward to the changes WLS will make in my life. And I'm looking forward to a restful vacation. I usually take on too many projects during my vacation and go back to work hurting. :-)[/quote']

I liked having someone with me day 4, but probably could've done it alone. I did shower alone and was fine. You are alittle tired and weak, but I think if you go slow, there won't be a problem. The meds don't make me loopy at all. If anything, just alittle sleepy. I am used to vicodin though for my back pain, so I may have a tolorence built up! I work in a rehab department and see people post shoulder surgery. If you were able to give up pain meds after that, I think this will be easier for you. The only thing is the left sided pain, which seems common. I have the hardest time with that, when moving,such as in bed, or up from a chair. Feels like a pulled muscle I guess?? But is just where they do the most work from. I really hope it all goes smoothly for you, and you are able to enjoy your time off!

I liked having someone with me day 4' date=' but probably could've done it alone. I did shower alone and was fine. You are alittle tired and weak, but I think if you go slow, there won't be a problem. The meds don't make me loopy at all. If anything, just alittle sleepy. I am used to vicodin though for my back pain, so I may have a tolorence built up! I work in a rehab department and see people post shoulder surgery. If you were able to give up pain meds after that, I think this will be easier for you. The only thing is the left sided pain, which seems common. I have the hardest time with that, when moving,such as in bed, or up from a chair. Feels like a pulled muscle I guess?? But is just where they do the most work from. I really hope it all goes smoothly for you, and you are able to enjoy your time off![/quote']

Thank you. Your information is very reassuring. I figure, barring any complications, I'll be fine. I'm more worried about making mistakes about my eating and drinking that could be painful. Sipping, rather than gulping, small bites, eating slowly, and later chewing chewing chewing thoroughly. I'm afraid I'll forget, causing pain and/or vomiting. Do you find it difficult? I know it'll be okay once it becomes a habit but I also know developing new habits take time.

So much to think about and remember! Drinking enough fluids, getting enough Protein, not taking your Calcium w/your multi, while at the same time getting all your Vitamins.

I thought eating would be a lot harder. Small bites and good chewing just happens, I think because I am a little leary yet about it. The hardest for me if figuring good meal choices for the most Protein. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, which I love and Greek yogurt. I'm fine with these things now, as I am afraid of doing damage to things since it hasnt been a week yet. It is actually going rather smoothly, and today, I had very little left side pain. Getting better everyday! :)

I thought eating would be a lot harder. Small bites and good chewing just happens' date=' I think because I am a little leary yet about it. The hardest for me if figuring good meal choices for the most Protein. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, which I love and Greek yogurt. I'm fine with these things now, as I am afraid of doing damage to things since it hasnt been a week yet. It is actually going rather smoothly, and today, I had very little left side pain. Getting better everyday! :)[/quote']

I'm glad you're feeling better. Doesn't Isopure make a Protein Water? Would that help? I'm curious as to how they taste. How are you doing with liquids?

I'm glad you're feeling better. Doesn't Isopure make a Protein Water? Would that help? I'm curious as to how they taste. How are you doing with liquids?

I found the isopure to be purely nasty....some love it, I couldn't even hide it in juice or crystal light I found the taste so repulsive :(

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 220.2

I found the Isopure to be purely nasty....some love it' date=' I couldn't even hide it in juice or crystal light I found the taste so repulsive :(

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 220.2[/quote']

I have a small sample bottle, but am afraid to try it cuz I hear so many bad things! :) wish I wouldn't have bought all the Protein samples I did either, cuz they are WAY too sweet now. Thought I was preparing, but can't hardly tolerate them now!