Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Makes People Gain Weight Back?

Is it eating the wrong foods? Soda? Pouch stretching? Everyone I know personally that's had the surgery hasten successful long term but you always hear about people gaining it back. I want to be sure that doesn't happen...so keep wondering what happens with those that regain? My surgery was the RNY with Fobi pouch which from what I understood means there is a band on my stoma that will prevent my pouch from being able to stretch. I would love to hear others input on this and have others ad the fobi pouch? It was an option my surgeon offers and I went with it.

All of the above, ESP. Slider foods and grazing. You can defeat your pouch. Empty calories of any kind will defeat your pouch.

I believe the people that gain the weight back after surgery do not follow the plan long term. Surgery is a tool not a magic cure. YOU have to work WITH the surgery, healthy eating, exercise etc. etc. Once you stop eating the healty food in normal quantities and stop exercising the weight will come back sooner or later !!!

Yes poor eating habits will cause weight gain. This is the reason why everyone that decide on surgery should really think "are you ready for a life change"? this is not the so called easy way out or the fast way to lose weight. It's all up to the individual. If you eat pizza before you stop it completely or you can eat it once every 2 months a slice not a pie or a few slices. It's about mind control portion & if you are ready to change. I haven't gain any weight back even when I get TOM. I eat as healthly as I can because eating a lot & fried food is what made me fat. I want to live long & enjoy my life healthly not a fat woman not wanting to go out & have fun.

Is it eating the wrong foods? Soda? Pouch stretching? Everyone I know personally that's had the surgery hasten successful long term but you always hear about people gaining it back. I want to be sure that doesn't happen...so keep wondering what happens with those that regain? My surgery was the RNY with Fobi pouch which from what I understood means there is a band on my stoma that will prevent my pouch from being able to stretch. I would love to hear others input on this and have others ad the fobi pouch? It was an option my surgeon offers and I went with it.

Well I cannot speak for others, I can only share my experience. I had RNY 8 years ago and lost a total of 170lbs. Kept that off until my 6th year and then slowly began gaining which led to a 53lb gain. At this point when i saw my surgeon he ran a series of tests and they discovered my anastomosis was dilated. Which means my pouch which was not stretched was emptying out quicker causing me to be hungry sooner. Although this is partially to blame i know that half of it was choices i had made but i definitely knew not all of it was my fault. Now i consider myself a success because i did manage to keep 117lbs off which in itself is amazing to me! Not everything is people not following the rules in my case it was a mechanical situation that can happen to anyone over time. Just imagine this tool we are given no longer works as it originally should and we no longer have the same restrictions how would some of us do? It is easy to say oh u did not follow the rules but that was not entirely the case with me. That is why I chose to have a revision to correct my tool and continue to enjoy the great health this surgery has afforded me. Good luck on your journey and as long as you follow your doctors rules u should be a okay!