Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lehigh Valley, Pa

Hi there everyone, I'm in Allentown Pa, I am having my surgery Octover 1 at St Lukes. Anyone from the area?

I had my surgery at Lehigh Valley Hospital on May 23 2012. I am 4 months 4 days post op and since begining the program am down 130lbs!

I feel great- no more HBP, Pre-diabetic, swollen ankles, or sleep apnea...

It is a new lease on life! I am located in the West End of the Poconos (Lehighton by Beltzville State Park).

Have any questions or need support I am here for yah!

Good Luck!

Wow 130 in 4 months!!! How soon after surgery were your able to exercise?

I had my surgery at Lehigh Valley Hospital on May 23 2012. I am 4 months 4 days post op and since begining the program am down 130lbs!

I feel great- no more HBP' date=' Pre-diabetic, swollen ankles, or sleep apnea...

It is a new lease on life! I am located in the West End of the Poconos (Lehighton by Beltzville State Park).

Have any questions or need support I am here for yah!

Good Luck![/quote']

What did you think of lehigh valley hospital. I'm looking to have my surgery there. How long did the process take you from deciding you wanted the surgery to actually having the surgery?

I was able to fully exercise (weight training and cardio) three months post op. immediately after surgery and while in recovery I was walking walking and more walking. I took it slow at first but it got easier as time went on. There is alot of excess gas from the laproscopic surgery that needs to dissipate and walking does wonders to get rid of the bloating you'll feel after surgery. I now walk/ hike 3-5 miles a day and rotate

My gym routine for cardio and weight training. I also do the Insanity program!

As for Lehigh Valley Hospital.... Dr Richard Boorse saved my life! I had no complications and we thoroughly discussed all weight loss procedures before my final decision of Riux en Y bypass. The surgery took about 2 hours and was out the next day. Walking a few hours after surgery. The staff and EVERYONE at Lehigh Valley was very attentive and on point. I had a low grade fever after surgery when I got to my room for the overnight stay. The AC was not working and room had no air flow. Within a few minutes maintenance showed up to service AC and give me a pedestal fan. Fever disappeared in less than an hour.

With any program one has to complete a Pre-op program and each network has different standards. I started my journey at St. Lukes but had to switch half way through becuase new job and different insurance. St Lukes has a bit more intensive Pre-op program as far as surgery approval testing and weight loss requirement Pre op. Lehigh valley had a program that was more conducive to my schedule. I scheduled the appointments that worked for me. There was a fee which needs to be paid up front and if your insurance does it try to get reimbursed. This fee covers your life long commitment and any lifetime support you need for nutrition, pshycological exams, exercise advice, etc. consider it a down payment on a new life. Small fee to lay for a new life and it can be paid in installments. All co-pays will apply as well.. My whole process Pre op testing/ Pre op program, etc lasted three months as my insurance did not require any kind of Pre op program participation. However every insurance varies....

BOTH programs had same Pre op program length either 3 or 6 month. And both health networks are centers of excellence. So I am not bias to either program- please keep that in mind as I have done both programs but as stated needed to finish with Lehigh Valley becuSe of new job and new insurance.

I hoped I answered all questions please let me know if you want additional info.

Meggiepoo.... You stated surgery was October 1. How are you doing! Hope all is well please keep us posted!

Honestly its very painful my mom kept trying to calm me before surgery saying it wouldn't be "that bad" but it was an awful first day. But as the hours tick by its getting a lil better. I threw up blood as soon As I started sipping i'm praying that I'll feel less and less pain.the walking did help with the gas pain but all the meds make it hard to walk. They had to give me a more powerful pain med cuz the morphine literally did nothing

Just be strong! The hard part is over now. Keep us posted as we are all here for each other. Just remember take it slow.

Thanks i'm feeling better today.still pain and nausea but its much more controlled and the gas Patton is all but gone

Hey there I am from Allentown. Going for surgery 4/29! Looking for a walking/motivation partner.