Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling down...just learned I have GERD today...

I'm preop so as a final procedure I had a EGD done today and the MD found out I have erosion in lower esophagus from GERD...now I have known something was going on for some time, but have never taken any meds for it. Now I am afraid when I go to my final appt on 10/15/13 to schedule surgery, he may decline it due to this one factor..btw...my insurance company already approved the surgery. I may just be freaking out, but would love to hear from some veterans on this issue...and find out if the GERD got worse after sleeve and how they've coped...

Oh mY Gosh - I need this answer too!! I have had H-Pylori in the past and Dr wanted an Upper Gi done. No H-p but hiatal hernia and reflux. Never had heartburn in my life! Now due to this, i may not be able to have the surgery! YES - I am freaking as I have been working so hard for this! Dr. called this am and now I have to see my GI doc and have an upper endoscopy. This hinges on my actually have the sleeve! Grrrrrrrrr!! :angry:

I'm gonna repost this in the post up section also..in hopes that it will get more responses...

Hi there! I have GERD and take protonix twice a day so it is very controlled. Because it is so controlled, I am still approved for surgery. Looking at around December for mine :)

I take Protonix 1x day and have on and off for years...my weight does seem to effect the GERD. Results from endoscopy came today: no H Pylori, no hernias, just GERD, no Barrett's or pre Barrett's...and some benign gastric polyps. Surgeon is next for for me and we'll see what he says. I don't think he'll rule me out completely, but I am scared that I will lose the weight but somehow worsen my GERD and end up with serious esophageal problems. It's my only issue and med that I take. I'm looking at bypass, but just don't want it. My mom is 10 years post bypass takes two PPIs a day and had an esophageal ulcer last year! Do I gamble on a Sleeve or get a bypass and end up like my mom--with reflux. Super frustrating. I need to decide soon.