Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on Tuesday (16th) - so far, so good with stomach pain - I was up and going by Thursday morning. The only problem that I am having is with extreme shoulder pain which I understand to be gas pain. (It feels like my shoulder is out of socket) I do notice that it tends to be more intense when I drink my liquids, but I really don't see how I could drink any more slowly and get the 64 oz in. I am taking gas ex and walking to shake off the pain. Any suggestions?:cry

hang in there! Thats all I can think of at this point. I had my procedure on the 18th and experienced the same pain. The shoulder pain has almost gone away completely...every now and then I will experience a little pain, but nothing that is going to kill me. Glld luck!

In a few days it should pass. Walking helped me, and stretching. The gas-x didn't seem to help me, but chewable Tylenol helped alot! It's gas, and I understand it's gas around the diaphram area that refers pain to the shoulder. I'd go for the Tylenol.

Thanks for the feedback - I searched for "back pain" and found some other ideas on the back pain as well. So hopefully, this too shall pass.

I had the same shoulder pain and it lasted about 10 days. I used a heating pad...it seemed to make it feel better. Also I drank peppermint tea...celestial seasonings makes it. It really helped the gas. Make sure you keep walking and moving around! Good luck to you. It does get better and soon you will feel great.

Hang in there! I am 4 weeks post op and I still have the gas pain. I found a list of remedies but I didn't try them all. I found that charco pills work faster than gas-x. Nor gas-x nor rolaids helped me out. I cried in tears for days. Now as soon as I eat I take these pills. They are filled with powder and it pops the gas bubbles as they pop open in your stomach. Here's a list I found, I still have intense pain every now and then so maybe one of these will work for you.

Lots of Luv- Alice

Banded 12/20/06

Dr. Huacuz- Tijuana, Mexico

weight.png

Remedies

Folk

Betaine hydrochloric acid will help digest excess food that your digestive system can't handle on its own and help relieve gas, bloating, and an upset stomach. Older people especially are low in this very necessary acid. Take 1-2 tablets with any large meal. Pancreatic enzymes will also be helpful.

Carbonated Water It encourages belching to relieve the gas.

Celery seeds Chew (but don't swallow) a teaspoon of seeds. This remedy is supposed to provide quick relief.

Chamomile helps improve digestion and aids in expelling trapped gas in the digestive tract. Make a tea by pouring one cup of boiling Water over 1-2 teaspoons of the dried herb; cover; steep for fifteen minutes; strain. This remedy is excellent for babies who have colic, too. Give the baby 1/4 cup of tea diluted with an equal amount of water in a bottle before each feeding.

Charcoal, activated Activated charcoal will bind to the gas. Take two tablets before and after meals. Do not take with other medications, supplements, or birth control pills, as it binds to them, too. Do not use on a long term basis, only for temporary relief.

Fennel helps improve digestion and aids in expelling trapped gas in the digestive tract. Make a tea by pouring one cup of boiling water over 1-2 teaspoons of the dried herb; cover; steep for fifteen minutes; strain. This remedy is excellent for babies who have colic, too. Give the baby 1/4 cup of tea diluted with an equal amount of water in a bottle before each feeding.

Ginger Mix one teaspoon of fresh grated ginger with one teaspoon of lime juice; take immediately after eating.

Pancreatic enzymes will aid digestion and help relieve gas, bloating, and an upset stomach. Take as directed.

Peppermint The herb peppermint, either in tea form or chewing the leaves, will relax the intestines and make it easier for the gas to escape. Peppermint is a carminative, which is a substance that removes accumulated gas from the stomach and intestines. Make a tea by pouring one cup of boiling water over 1-2 teaspoons of the dried herb; cover; steep for fifteen minutes; strain. This remedy is excellent for babies who have colic, too. Give the baby 1/4 cup of tea diluted with an equal amount of water in a bottle before each feeding.

? Peppermint oil improves gas and bloating problems by causing gas trapped in the colon and intestines to be absorbed into the body.

Simethicone Simethicone breaks up the large bubbles of gas.

Homeopathic

Nux vomica will help relieve gas, bloating and a sour stomach. Take the 6c potency in 4 drops or pellets every hour.

For some reason I still have the shoulder pain when I eat something that doesn't agree with me or I overeat. It goes directly to my shoulder. A heating pad and a few gas-x are my saviors.