Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had blood work done since starting the 5:2?

M2G
Sign in to follow this  

I'm going in 12 days for blood work through my PCP but results to be forwarded to my VSG surgeon in anticipation of my 3 year anniversary in Oct.

I wish that I had some recent results to compare it to, but my blood work was so stellar at my 18 month checkup, my surgeon didn't order labs for my 2 year. Sigh. So the most recent work was in April 2012.

At least I will have *something* to compare it too. I kind of wish I could have had blood drawn right before starting and then a few months later (like M. Mosely did on his video) but this will just have to do.

Has anyone else had labs done recently? What were your results?

Yesterday I made an appointment for next month. I asked for labs. My last labs were.... 8- 2011, My surgery was 1-11! I thought I had one for a year....... after one year I never heard from my Bariatric team again.

Well FYE, interesting about never hearing from them again! I'm very connected to my surgeon's office (go to support groups, once in a while will attend his seminars to be on his "patient panel" and try to see my NUT every 3 months. (In 2012 when I was gaining weight I obv. wasn't seeing them so that is why I decided it was worth it to check in every 3 months or so to keep me on my toes...lol)

I'm glad you called for labs, I will be sure to share my results when I get them!

I just had two blood draws one 6 weeks and Another two weeks ago..

On the first my D was low.

On my last one everything looks good (taking d now) Iron could be higher but that's my life story..

My Bariatric center has a group every month, I might go this next week... I haven't gone for years, and then only once... I was the only sleeve there... perhaps there will be more this time.

Okay, here are some of my blood draw results (I can't post them all, it's 4 pages long...lol) these are the ones I'm most familiar with:

Test_____Mine #_____Normal Range <===sorry these columns are coming out crappy...I will use something to sort them...

WBC 3.9_____3.4-10.8

RBC 4.25_____3.77-5.28

Hemoglobin 12.4 _____11.1-15.9

Hematocrit 36.6 _____34.0-46.6

Glucose, Serum 89_____65-99

BUN 10_____6-24

Creatine, Serum 0.67_____0.57-1.00

Potassium, Serum 3.8 _____3.5-5.2

Chloride, Serum 104_____ 97-108

Calcium, Serum 8.8_____8.7-10.2

Protein, Total 6.7 _____6.0-8.5

Cholesterol Total 141_____100-199

Triglycerides 58 _____0-149

HDL Cholesterol 54 _____>39

LDL Cholesterol 75_____0-99

VLDL Cholesterol 12_____5-40

Iron Bind.Cap (TIBC) 338_____250-450

UIBC 264_____150-375

Iron, Serum 74_____35-155

Iron Saturation 22%_____15-55%

B12 1333_____211-946 <===I quit taking supplements in July ..I was only taking them 3x a week anyway)

Folate (folic acid) 19.9_____>3.0

HA1c 5.4_____4.8-5.6

Vitamin D 45.9_____30-100

Ferritin, Serum 11_____15-150 <===only area dr. was concerned w/but stated I was NOT anemic, just to eat more "iron rich" foods....

Notes from the bottom of my 4 page document:

"Labs perfect, though iron stores are somewhat low (does functionally have plenty of iron.)

So I guess that is all good news. Maybe when I have some time I will look up some of the other things listed and find out what they mean. LOL. These are basically the ones I *know* and care about. Yay for the sleeve and yay for 5:2 and triple yay for "perfect" labs!

Yes, I have. I had my annual appointment back in July. One 1/2 months after starting 5:2. Everything was normal except Vit D (as usual!) Always low in Vit D for some reason. (I think half the population is also!)

I had my 18 month labs in July ... and then just last week partial labs in preparation for surgery. Everything looks pretty much the same - all good.

The difference I noted was that for the surgery labs they didn't have me fast so the blood sugar was in the 90s. My fasting blood sugar was in the 70s.

So I just wanted to say one more thing. I personally was concerned about the low Iron. So I had my annual pap and brought copies of my labs to my OB just for a second opinion. He knows all about my VSG, etc. and I asked him "am I on the slow train to anemia?"

He said NO. He said my labs looked awesome and his remark was this "look 8 out of 9 Iron tests that you had done were awesome, I personally would not worry about this one being slightly low." So that is that. I really didn't WANT to take iron supplements but I would if I needed to. I was glad to get a second opinion.

Looking forward to seeing my surgeon in 3 weeks and getting his take on things also. By then I will have 3 diff. drs. looking at these numbers, that should cover all my bases... ;)

And FWIW...if you do eat meat, eating loads of roast beef (like the sliced fresh kind from the deli, that's still quite red/medium-rare) totally works too. I got my Iron levels back up doing that for a spell, rather than have to take the awful supplements (NB: Post-hysterectomy, though...might not have worked before that...).