Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Bronnie

Hi Bronnie, I need your advice. I think that I will take some appetite surpressants to help me during the pre op diet. Do you think I should do it?

My GP is away at the moment so I need some advice.

Are any of them available over the counter?

Everyone else feel free to chime in here if you have any feedback.

Thanks so much. Susannah

Hello Susannah

i have been put on some but its only for a kick start but I'm also not sure if Dr nottle is going to like it...

I'm not sure on his view's on that.

i guess when it comes down to it as long as you are loosing weight thats all that matter's tablets is a very short term thing but with the tablets I'm on you cant have any real problems besides your weight and if you have high blood pressure i know this is a no no... any how i know there are some over the counter tabs you can get I'm not sure how good they work but i know last time i took them they didn't work for me.. also the tabs i am on are $109... pricey hey

any how good luck on your journey

Kaylene

hi Girls.... there are a few over the counter... i think Xantrax is okay and can be purchased from the chemist at about $39.95 for 60 tablets. I cant see how the appetite suppressants could harm you but maybe best to consult another health professional ie the surgeons office

Reductil is great it works better than duromine and doesnt keep you awake all night or bouncing off walls...LOL

Hey fee . i had had a script for reductil about a year ago.. its expensive was more than the duromine... who said bouncing of walls was bad for you (kidding) i had to make my self eat yesterday i was feeling sickly about 4pm and realised i had skipped lunch:hungry: ... not a good thing.... any how its only a drug you can get from your GP and like anything there is some risk to it.. not to be taken lightly.

well i have officially stopped drinking coke and eating crap (for this week anyhow) lol but i hope i can keep it up until i get banded:clap2: . didn't drink alot of coke but thought i better cut it out.

am trying my hardest to start walking it ain't happened yet.

I'm not a real lazy person just find it hard to get motivated with 3 kids at home they keep you busy all day long.

i have been thinking about waking up at about 7 and going for a walk

i will try that tomorrow hmmmmm

any how i must go house work around here does not get done by it self (dam cleaning fairy where are you geeees):omg: lol

Bye Bye

Thanks gals!:biggrin1: I am thinking of taking reductil only for the three week Optifast pre surgery period. I need to use everything in my arsenal to win this war. I just need a bit of help with it on a strictly short term basis. I hope everyone understands.

Any updates on how you are all travelling with your banding journeys? We can support each other. Susannah

If you feel like your going to need something then reductil maybe the way to go. Its worth getting them just in case.

I dont even know if Dr Nottle does the pre-op diet thing??

Gday Bronnie, My surgeon wants me to do Optifast for 3 weeks. I am not sure about Dr Nottle to be honest. I think Fee said she didn't have to do it and she is a patient of Dr Nottle. With any luck you won't have too.:lost1.5lbs:

My surgeon is quite strict. He does not make it easy to get this surgery, because he wants you to understand the gravity of it all. I think he is very thorough and ethical. I am sure Dr Nottle is excellant too. I have heard only good stuff about him.

Susannah

Optifast and i didnt agree...

i went on optifast for about 16 days about a year ago. after about a week i noticed excessive Hair loss. I was just having the shakes and nothing else. At the end of the 16 days the hair loss was getting really scary and people were noticing. So..... i went to my local GP who contacted the manufacturer of Optifast. They stated that this side effect was rare but possible. So..... no matter what.... i will not go on optifast. My hair remains very thin.

Remember mine was proably a one of case... i didnt do what i was suppose to... I had the 3 shakes a day and no vegies etc....

this is my daily lesson... if your going to do something, stick to the rules!!!!

Gday Bronnie, My surgeon wants me to do Optifast for 3 weeks. I am not sure about Dr Nottle to be honest. I think Fee said she didn't have to do it and she is a patient of Dr Nottle. With any luck you won't have too.:)

My surgeon is quite strict. He does not make it easy to get this surgery, because he wants you to understand the gravity of it all. I think he is very thorough and ethical. I am sure Dr Nottle is excellant too. I have heard only good stuff about him.

Susannah

yes your right...i think i have said this a few times.lol...that i didnt have to do optifast....not everyone requires to do it....it depends on your BMI....

Dr Nottle is great i really think he knows what hes talking about and doing

Fee and Bronnie, you guys are lucky duckies I guess! I am day 3 and going ok. I eat my bowl of vegies at night plus the shakes. My surgeon said it is also done to shrink the liver, which makes for safer surgery.

Ask me next week how I am going!:) :nervous :biggrin1: Susannah

Ask your sugeon or antethetist about the appetite supressants before surgery - I know they are safe afterwards (i've taken the duromine) but in the few weeks before I wouldn't think so at all. They can intefere with the anasthesia - and being obese is already a risk with anesthesia so I wouldn't think they would want to compound any adverse effects... just find out how many days before surgery you need to stop the medication.... or when you tell the anethetist on the day you might get a rude shock if he sends you packing. Better safe than dead - so check it out with your surgeon asap!!

Good advise Cam.........

I dont think anyone had thought of that. It would be a nightmare to get told to go home on the day of operation due to a little pill.

Hi Susannah,

Hang in there on the Optifast - it is the worst part of the whole process, and each meal brings you close to the end of that phase. You CAN DO IT!!!

Cam is on the ball - I was told to even stop taking herbal supplements in the month before surgery, as some herbs can interfere with the anaesthesia, and also can affect how readily your tissues will heal afterwards.

Some tips that helped me:

I ended up having more than 2 cups of non-starchy veg per day, due to hunger. I had a 1 to 2 cup salad for lunch, and then 1 to 2 cups of veg for dinner. I spaced the shakes / bars out to afternoon tea and supper. I checked with the nurse who said that would be fine to do.

I found that mushrooms and mung Beans were really satisfying and filling, and included them in every meal. Sprout mung beans in a jar and add a handful to salads & stir-frys.

My favourite pre-op diet meal was a BBQ ratatouille (sp?) - use mushrooms, mung beans, zucchini, onion, capsicum tomatoes (cherry / grape variety work best) and any other allowed veg that you fancy. Cook on a BBQ hotplate with a little olive oil and pepper & salt or herbs (I like Masterfoods Tuscan or Lemon Pepper), or a dash of soy / lemon juice.< /p>

Did you get a list of allowed Condiments? Things like stock cubes, lemon juice, herbs & spices, soy sauce, fat-free dressing etc are okay, and if you're a bit creative, you can whip up great veggie treats with the "legal" list. I'll try and find my list and post it.

Hang in there - nearly there now!