Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Tips for Altering Clothes While Losing Weight?

Hi, I am only 4 weeks post op. I have lost about 30 lbs, but I'm slowing down to 2 or 3 lbs a week. I don't want to buy new clothes yet, but would like to figure out ways to "cinch up" or minimally alter the clothes (pants mainly) I currently have--preferably without ruining them by taking in seams. I have tried those buttons you can pin on to make the waist smaller, but they aren't working so well. I seem to have the butt sag issue, even though I could still wear some of my clothes. (FYI, I'm a female!) Does anybody have any suggestions for things that have worked for them? Thanks!

Thank goodness when I went through the major weight loss stage, it was winter time. I was able to wear my shirts/ sweaters over my pants to camouflage how big they were. My pants, I had to turn the waste down & tightened my belts really tight. That got me through the first few crucial months.

You can take darts in the waistbands. Basically you just sew folds in the waistbands. As long as you don't cut the seams it's as easy as taking a seam ripper to remove the darts when you are ready to pass them on. No damage. The only other really easy option is to use belts, but I never felt like that was a better solution, because all that would happen to me is my waistband would be forced under the belt and have a big flapping gap... As long as you don't take the darts too tight, the extra folds of fabric won't be really noticeable. You can take the darts down into the hips to provide shape between the waistband and hips to prevent the fabric laying weird. It's obviously more difficult to do with thick fabrics like denim. Your standard home sewing machine will struggle with that thickness, but you could do it by hand if necessary.

Good luck!

A belt is a very necessary article. When your pant are a size or two too big you can cinch it with a belt higher up at your natural waist and it takes care of "elephant butt" and paired with a lose top nobody knows you're wearing your pants ridiculously high.I was poking new holes in my size 26/28 belt until one day it finally just split right in half so I bought a new belt (a size XL from a REGULAR store!!!!) The belt I chose has holes that go all the way around so it will last me another 100 pounds!