Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I start pre-op liquid diet today. This really puts it all into perspective for me. I've made the choice to make a major life change in two weeks, and I know things will never be the same. It's so exciting, yet it's very intimidating. I'm nervous about the surgery, I'm nervous about the changes to the way I approach food (and drink), but I can't wait to get back to the activities of old (being able to really workout; getting back into running; getting back into hiking; fitting into my waders to go fly fishing, etc.). Something tells me this is going to be an emotional rolling-coaster (uh oh, I used the e word; can I even say that word in the forum).

I had someone ask me the other day why I'm doing this. She wasn't being nosy or unsupportive, she just wanted to know my reasoning. I told her it was a very easy decision to make when I boiled it down to numbers. How many cokes are worth taking a picure with my family on my son's graduation day? How many beers are worth walking my daughter down the aisle? How many Cookies are worth making it to my 50th wedding anniversary with my wife? When I looked at the decision like that, it's a fairly easy answer.

I have to admit that I've been very nervous about the operation itself. I'm 34 and I have a 2 and 1/2 year old son and a 6 week old daughter that mean the world to me, and I know that this is a major surgery. At the same time, if I don't go through with this, I will be shorting them on life, and likely won't live as long as I should. In order to keep my eye on the prize, I've come up with some NSGs (non scale goals; can I just come up with an abbreviation like that, or does it have to be approved first). Here are a few;

1. No longer having to shop online or at specialty stores to buy clothes;

2. Wearing my wedding ring again;

3. Running a mile w/o stopping;

4. Running in my first 5k in 9 years;

5. Being able to coach my son's/daughter's soccer team;

6. Going to Disney World with my family and being able to ride all of the rides;

7. Not having to request a table at every restaurant I go to (i.e. being able to sit in a booth again);

8. Not having to request the extendor when I get on an airplane;

9. Being able to sit in a chair w/ arms and not feel like I'm trapped;

10. Weighing what it says on my drivers license.

These are just a few NSGs I have, and along the way I'm sure I'll have many more NSVs thay I'm not even thinking about right now. I'm ready to start this journey; I'm ready to start living again. I'm ready to live a life not shackled by fad diets and fast food. I want to thank everyone on this forum, because without it, I'm not sure I would have made this decision. It's scary, but I know I'm doing the right thing.

Here you are on day one of your journey and you have no doubt already inspired many with this heartfelt post. You have inspired me and I'm post surgery. You put into words many of the thoughts and feelings I had that brought me to this place. See you at the finish line.

You are soooo doing the right thing! For your family but most of all for you and your life.

It is scary - anyone who undertakes being sleeved and thinks it will be easy is sadly mistaken. You have to work hard, the sleeve doesn't do it for you as if by magic, but the rewards are beyond just weight loss.

Loved your NSGs. Bet there will be many more than you can imagine now... My favourite thing that has happened to me was that my mother-in-law, who has known me for 33 years, walked past me while looking for me when out shopping. Her face said it all, lol!!!

Good luck, everyone on here will be rooting for you when the time comes - and will be here to support you when you join us on the sleeved side :-)

Dont give up man you hit the nail on the head whats more important to you, ive ask the same thing about myself, was it more important to stuff myself or see my kids graduat, I just did my sleeve and im ecited about my new life. Good luck on the diet broth SUCKs lol ...