Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jean size target?

Hey guys- what is the lowest pants size I can expect to fit in post op? I am 5'11", 180 lb and can comfortably fit in a Levi 34" today (so far from 46+ pre op).

When I say 34 fits comfortably, I mean they are pulled up around my waist where they are supposed to hang, no belt. Think of how jeans are supposed to hang ala Abercrombie and Fitch ads where there is a dude in jeans without a shirt on. :)

With body shaping workouts, I think 32 inch is possible. Is this a good size to target or should I be thinking about 30 or 28? What size is considered attractive in today's society?

I think you need to post a pic of you with the jeans on and no shirt...like the Abercrombie and Fitch ads so we can decide :P

I think you need to post a pic of you with the jeans on and no shirt...like the Abercrombie and Fitch ads so we can decide :P

As much as this may be desirable, I am not brave enough to do this...yet. :) Wait until I buff up a little from cross fit where I will be able to do "The Arnold" and pump my guns. Right now, I am a bit underweight in the torso and arms.. :( that is what running will do to you. I do try and counter it by eating 150+ G Protein a day and doing strength training. Gotta kick it up a few notches so I am Abercrombie ready. Lol.

My husband is 6' 155-160 and wears a 29-30. He's really skinny! Well, his upper body is really buff buthus waist ang legs are skinny. I know this is the man room but I thought it might help.

Sounds like we should strive for the Triangle or Trapezoid body shapes:

http://www.ethicalinstyle.com/ethical-fashion-advice/ethical-fashion-advice-for-men/how-to-dress-for-your-bodyshape/how-to-dress-male-trapezoid-body-shape-male-inverted-triangle-body-shape/

The link even suggests how to dress for these body types.

Nicole- your husband sounds like a Triangle Guy.

As much as this may be desirable, I am not brave enough to do this...yet. :) Wait until I buff up a little from cross fit where I will be able to do "The Arnold" and pump my guns. Right now, I am a bit underweight in the torso and arms.. :( that is what running will do to you. I do try and counter it by eating 150+ G Protein a day and doing strength training. Gotta kick it up a few notches so I am Abercrombie ready. Lol.

I'm gonna hold you to it :D

I went from a 46 to a 30, in 5 months

heh.. I was thinking about this the other day. I am kinda clueless as to where I will really end up. I want to hit 185ish. I have 2 brothers who are both average. My one brother is 6'1 or 6'2 and the other is pretty much the same height as me (5'9ish), and we look a lot alike. I think he wears 32 or 34. and sits between 170 to 190. I never really talked about it with him, but I probably should ask because I am guessing that is where I will end up.

I wore 36 in high school (90-94) then went up to a 38 at some point and stayed there until about 2008. Pre-pre-op (is that a thing?) diet, I was a 42-44 with jeans. Since my surgery 2 weeks ago, I haven't tried on jeans. I'm out of work at the current time, so I either don't get dressed, or if I go out I have been wearing my sweats because it has been to go walking with my wife, or mother.

I kinda wonder if they will be loose now.. I'm down a decent amount since surgery. That would kinda be a nice feeling for once. lol

I do have a question.. When you where dropping weight so quick, did you just buy a pair of jeans at a time, or was it constantly replacing your wardrobe? How quickly where you needing to get new jeans and stuff? Shirts can last longer in my eyes but pants are hard to wear once you shrink out of them.

I can't wait to get to a point where I can get nice clothes that will last me a while :)

Coolaid, I haven't had to buy any new jeans yet only because I had smaller sizes that I used to wear that I had kept around. Right now I'm in 42-32s with a belt worn tightly, and 40-32s with either no belt, or loose belt. I reckon I'll be buying size 38 jeans in a month or so because the 40s are already starting to sag in the rear and I have to be careful with them. Ultimately, I'd love to be sitting around size 32 or 34.

heh.. I was thinking about this the other day. I am kinda clueless as to where I will really end up. I want to hit 185ish. I have 2 brothers who are both average. My one brother is 6'1 or 6'2 and the other is pretty much the same height as me (5'9ish)' date=' and we look a lot alike. I think he wears 32 or 34. and sits between 170 to 190. I never really talked about it with him, but I probably should ask because I am guessing that is where I will end up.

I wore 36 in high school (90-94) then went up to a 38 at some point and stayed there until about 2008. Pre-pre-op (is that a thing?) diet, I was a 42-44 with jeans. Since my surgery 2 weeks ago, I haven't tried on jeans. I'm out of work at the current time, so I either don't get dressed, or if I go out I have been wearing my sweats because it has been to go walking with my wife, or mother.

I kinda wonder if they will be loose now.. I'm down a decent amount since surgery. That would kinda be a nice feeling for once. lol

I do have a question.. When you where dropping weight so quick, did you just buy a pair of jeans at a time, or was it constantly replacing your wardrobe? How quickly where you needing to get new jeans and stuff? Shirts can last longer in my eyes but pants are hard to wear once you shrink out of them.

I can't wait to get to a point where I can get nice clothes that will last me a while :)[/quote']

I had some left over XL shirts from long time ago so could ressurect these when my size hit 1x. I also bought some stuff from Value Village. Now that I am a med/large size, I have donated my entire 1x stash to my brother (feels good to be smaller then him for the first time in my life, but that is another story for another time). I recently went out and bought a couple med size shirts from VV again, but really do need to reset my closet because my 1/2 is empty (well, more like my 20%. Married men will understand this :) )

As for jeans, I had a few 42 size in my possession from prior use that I could wear when my size got there. I bought a couple 38 when I hit that point and then a couple 36. After that, I got tired of wearing baggy 36 so I went back to VV. This time I found I was a 35 and not yet a 34. Luckily, I found 1 35 jean and it fit perfect, but I also took the opportunity to buy a 34.

34 now fit really well and I am now thinking about what is next. As I continue to run, cross fit and Yoga, I am sure my waist will shrink and 32 will be in my near future.

I took a poll yesterday from some of the important women in my life at my family Easter party (MIL, SIL, wife) and they said 32 would probably be good, but 30 or 28 would not be good for me. They agree I need to work on my upper body physique. My goal is to become Triangle guy so that will mean small waist and large / athletic torso. Maybe my second job can be jean modeling with no shirt. Lol.

I went from a 46 to a 30' date=' in 5 months[/quote']

You are awesome! That is incredible. Great job!!

Coolaid' date=' I haven't had to buy any new jeans yet only because I had smaller sizes that I used to wear that I had kept around. Right now I'm in 42-32s with a belt worn tightly, and 40-32s with either no belt, or loose belt. I reckon I'll be buying size 38 jeans in a month or so because the 40s are already starting to sag in the rear and I have to be careful with them. Ultimately, I'd love to be sitting around size 32 or 34.[/quote']

Hey Mark - related question.

You have said you participate in strongman activities and need to keep strength up for certain endorsements. With the running you are doing, how do you keep your upper body strength up?

I have lost a lot of muscle in my torso and arms, but do eat lots of animal meat and Protein supplements. I am currently taking GNC extreme athlete Vitamin pack daily for last month. I do not know why my upper body muscles atrophied with all the Protein I have been eating daily (150+ g).

I want to look good in a 32 or 30 pants in the future with strong core (abs) and powerful upper body (lower body already strong from hill running).

Going to Hawaii in may so plenty of opportunities to look good when outside without shirt on. I am hoping I can do something about my upper body physique in the 6 weeks before we go. I do not mind gaining lean muscle weight, but would like to stay in the 170-185 range. I am currently 177 as of today.

I am also hoping cross fit and Yoga will help me achieve these short term goals.

My abs got a real work out after Yoga from last week (sore for 2-3 days). Yoga, cross fit and running is probably the extent of my physical activities during the week because of full schedule. I do my running in the mornings 3x a week and yoga/cross fit in the evenings 3-4x a week, one evening activity a day.

Let me know what you think. Others also feel free to chime in.

Fiddleman, You need to lift weights with the same intensity you give running/crossfit. IMO you have reached your goal weight if your main concerns are building lean muscle. You are at the point were you should not be focusing on cutting or bulking but more so reconditioning. I am just shy of 5'11", so almost the same height as you. My goal weight is 185, but 185 of pretty lean muscle... 15-18% body fat. I could care less about seeing any abs but want big arms, bulky chest/shoulders and definition in those areas.

I know it might should crazy to you but I would cut back on the cardio, focus more on lifting weights and maintain your current caloric intake. If you maintain your calories you shouldn't lose or gain weight but rather recondition, or reshape, areas of your physic while staying the same weight. Personally I would shoot for the high side of your goal at 185.

I think a lot of people focus to much on cardio. Its great for overall health and hitting your daily caloric deficits, but, If your goal is to get a big and bulky upper body, you should focus that effort into diet and lifting weights. You still burn a ton of calories lifting heavy weight.

I lift 6 days a week and end my workouts now with about 20mins HIIT cardio. I do it because for now, I enjoy the cardio, and the body parts I am working out for a specific day are to fatigued from lifting. I only do the cardio because I cant lift anymore and need to burn more calories.

Once I reach my goal weight I am going to cut back on the cardio and dare I say it... eat at a caloric surplus :blink:

Fiddleman' date=' You need to lift weights with the same intensity you give running/crossfit. IMO you have reached your goal weight if your main concerns are building lean muscle. You are at the point wear you should not be focusing on cutting or bulking but more so reconditioning. I am just shy of 5'11", so almost the same height as you. My goal weight is 185, but 185 of pretty lean muscle... 15-18% body fat. I could care less about seeing any abs but want big arms, bulky chest/shoulders and definition in those areas.

I know it might should crazy to you but I would cut back on the cardio, focus more on lifting weights and maintain your current caloric intake. If you maintain your calories you shouldn't lose or gain weight but rather recondition, or reshape, areas of your physic while staying the same weight. Personally I would shoot for the high side of your goal at 185.

I think a lot of people focus to much on cardio. Its great for overall health and hitting your daily caloric deficits, but, If your goal is to big big and bulky, you should focus that effort into diet and lifting weights. You still burn a ton of calories lifting heavy weight.

I lift 6 days a week and end my workouts now with about 20mins HIIT cardio. I do it because for now I enjoy the cardio and honestly the body parts I am working out for a specific day are to fatigued from lifting... I only do the cardio because I cant lift anymore and need to burn more calories.

Once I reach my goal weight I am going to cut back on the cardio and day I say it... eat at a caloric surplus :blink:[/quote']

This is very useful feedback.

Would you say it is not possible to be both a runner and have an athletic upper body? Are these two goals diabolically opposed?

I will be sharing some of these goals of mine with my cross fit instructor to see if we can modify to achieve it. Otherwise, I currently think running is a higher priority to me then sculpting.

I would just like to have a good upper body physique with lean muscle. It is not my goal to bulk out with shirt ripping muscles. Besides, my wife has already told me that is not her style and my first priority is to make her happy. :)

This is very useful feedback. Would you say it is not possible to be both a runner and have an athletic upper body? Are these two goals diabolically opposed?

Thats a good question and I can give you my "assumption" or you can wait for marks replies lol. I know he's into power lifting but I would assume he can give good insight... also ask your instructor. I guess I was under the impression you wanted to get big up top, thinking bodybuilder type, If you just want a little bulk and definition I am sure your main focus can be running while reconditioning your upper body.

I would tell your goals to your instructor and get his opinion, but remember its only his opinion haha. Hope he give good advise because I have heard some pretty useless stuff coming out of the trainers at my gym; they all contradict eachother. More then one way to skin a cat so find out what works for you. Please report back with what he advises you.

Good luck....