Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very CONSTIPATED ... Help

Hi to all... Well I am very constipated now. I think its from eating so much Protein. I have been taking Colace and Magnesium pills at night and its not really helping. I have thaught about drinking hot chocolate in the morning because I dont drink coffee, And everyone that I know who drinks coffee dosent have this prolbem. Does any one have any suggestions ? My hemorids and I would really appreciate it... Thanks Janie :)

You can do the hot chocolate in the am that would help.

Also, drink lots of Water to help hydrate the feces. Sorry but the longer it stays in your bowels the less hydrated it can become and worsen the problem.

There is a herbal tea you can get from any grocery store or RITE Aid carries it that will cleanse the colon.

Juices for a day or fresh fruit for a day will usually fix that problem for me.

FRESH CORN is another laxative for me as well. Not sure why but it does make me go. LOL!!!

How long has it been since you had a normal bowel movement?

Exlax is good to use for that as well.

RITE AID also has a pill form of the Colon cleanse but pills are so hard for us to swallow at times. You might have to crush this pill.

Hope some of this helps. I can relate to the Constipation. I can get it on a regular basis sometimes. If it gets too bad go see your doctor. He might suggest a FLEET's enema which you can actually give yourself at home. I even think you can get them over the counter now. But talk to your Doctor before going out and buying one of them.

Always, consult your docs prior to trying anything as drastic as an enema.

My grandmother used to give us kids a tablespoon of white Karo corn Syrup for our constipation. Not sure if it worked or not but it sure did taste good. LOL!!

Cherries do it for me..they are in season right now and so sweet and tasty..matter of fact, I'm eating some right now:)

Thanks for the suggestions. I drink about 56oz of Water every day but that is all I drink . I thaught I was getting enough. I am afraid of trying a laxative. I have never eaten fresh cherries . I will get some and try it. Thanks soo much. I am leaving now to spend the night with my daughter and my new grand baby. I will get on the computer again tomorroe night... Thanks again... Love Janie

Hi Janie, hope you're feeling better!

Ladies, is Constipation a common problem w/ banding? All this time my biggest concern has been ripping out my port while doing my "trying to wipe - gymnastics"! How 'bout good 'ol prune juice?

Monday's my band-day so the questions are 'a brewin'!!

Prune juice now why didn't I think of that. THat works wonders for me.

Good luck Debra on your band day. I guess Constipation is a common problem with the band. I was worned by my doctor the day before surgery. I haven't had a problem with it though. I really try to eat a variety of foods including fruits and vegi's. I don't know if that helps but that is what I give the credit too. Best wishes to you, Teresa

I eat all these foods you all are mentioning,exept no cherries or prunes, seasonal fruit, lots of watermelon ,lime in Water, tea water, tea!

I do hope you feel better today.

Janie, I feel your pain. My nutrionist suggested dried apricots. (I was very tight at the time and couldn't get them down, so I don't know how effective they are.) She also recommended a Fiber powder that you sprinkle on food.

I took Sennekot, which I found a little easier on my system than some of the other brands.

Good luck,

Elizabeth

8/28/03

slipped band

(plus 5 since fill removed 6/21, but holding steady)

Constipation is a problem for me pretty frequently. What I do is put about a teaspoon of Benefiber into my morning coffee. Benefiber is not a laxative but just a Fiber supplement, and I definitely need it because there's no way I've been getting enough fiber in my diet.

Recently I discovered Atkins Protein bars, which have 10 or 11 grams of fiber in each one in addition to the 20 or so grams of Protein. That's made a HUGE difference in my bowel function as well. Water is important, sure, but fiber is absolutely key to keeping things moving. No question--that's where my answer lies.

Thank heavens I am not alone in this! I feel embarassed to talk about it to anyone. The remedies you all post are great, thanks. The only problem is I am so tight that I can only eat or drink a very little at a time- like 1/4 cup at most- and then stay full so long afterwards, that I don't seem to be able to manage to get in enough Water or fiber. I am going to try the Atkins bars- hope the consistency is tolerable for me.

I've decided to start eating Raisin bran in the mornings(once i'm over my mushies again.) and try to get the Proteins in later because of this. It definitely is an issue.