Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice....Pre-Op diet

I am supposed to be on a liquid pre-op diet prior to my sleeve surgery (which is usual). I want to make sure I follow every requirement exactly. My question is how I should handle a certain social situation.

I will be attending a conference with friends from work during this diet. One of my friends knows about the surgery and supports me. The other two are friends that I am not comfortable sharing about this surgery yet. We will be together a lot for three days and will be sharing mealtimes together. What should I say about why I am only drinking liquids on these days? I don't want to lie, but I do not want to divulge more information than I am comfortable giving. I am sure I am not the only one who faced this (pre and post op dieting).

Thanks for any advice you can give. I may be more comfortable sharing AFTER the surgery, but right now I just want to share with people I am most close to (family and two friends).

I would say don't share with those you are not ready to share with. This is a very personal journey and you don't need to explain or defend. If you want to make it easy, just say you are dieting that you are having digestive issues and just change the subject. I know trying to be polite and thinking that we need to answer every personal question that people ask but this is your journey and you need to make as easy for you as you can.

I will be doing the same thing in a few days, my husband's sister passed away suddenly yesterday and we will be traveling to the service. We will be around family for a few days and I will have what I need to and and say that is what I need right now. Period. I will smile and be polite but will not be pressured into sharing things that I don't want to. My surgery is on the 20th. We will be coming home 3 days before.

Good luck to you. You will know what is right for you.

Thank you for your advice and sharing your story. So sorry for your family's loss! It is so hard to lose someone you love and especially suddenly and unexpectedly. That is a good way to put it! I hope everything goes well with your surgery!

If they say anything, just tell them you're doing a shake diet. They don't need to know it's the lead up to a surgical procedure and with all the liquid diets and cleanses that people do these days, drinking meals for dietary purposes isn't all that strange.

That is a good idea, too! I guess I was kinda stressing about nothing! I appreciate your advice!

I would just say "I'm fasting," "I'm trying to do a clensing diet," or "I'm trying to stay away from fast food/resturant foods." And then just move on. That way you won't feel like you're lying, because you ARE on a diet :) I know we will all be put in a weird eating situation while pre-op or post-op, but we have to stay focused and comfortable with who we share our personal information with. Good luck!

Thank you sroan05! I am glad you all agree that we have a right to keep this personal and private. We DO have to stay focused on what is important and comfortable for us! I see you are having your surgery in April too! Good luck to you too! Thank you for the support!