Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Got Thrown for a Loop

My surgery is 2 weeks today and I had made an appointment to see my PCP 2 weeks afterwards. My PCP is currently on maternity leave, so I have not yet had the chance to tell her that I'm having WLS, but I fully expect her support because she is generally really supportive of me and my decisions. I just got an email from her office to let me know that she is extending her maternity leave to the middle of April and asking if I want to see another doctor in the meantime or to wait until her return. Obviously, I need follow up care before mid-April, so I am going to see another doctor, but now I'm scared because I don't know this person and I don't know how they will react. I can only hope this other doctor is as supportive of me as my PCP is. I'm mainly venting, but advice is also welcome.

My surgery is 2 weeks today and I had made an appointment to see my PCP 2 weeks afterwards. My PCP is currently on maternity leave' date=' so I have not yet had the chance to tell her that I'm having WLS, but I fully expect her support because she is generally really supportive of me and my decisions. I just got an email from her office to let me know that she is extending her maternity leave to the middle of April and asking if I want to see another doctor in the meantime or to wait until her return. Obviously, I need follow up care before mid-April, so I am going to see another doctor, but now I'm scared because I don't know this person and I don't know how they will react. I can only hope this other doctor is as supportive of me as my PCP is. I'm mainly venting, but advice is also welcome.[/quote']

If it is someone that has been with the practice or have worked with her for any length of time, they will know how she is with her current patients. It's a very scary thought!

I'm headed to Mexico, also, and I don't know what I would do! Knowing me, I would begin my conversation, "I need honesty and tough love and don't sugar coat shiat to make me feel better and I will return the favor to you." Lol

It would be like a break-up!!

I'm sure it will work out and follow-up shouldn't be too scary.

I don't need any follow up care for the first 3 months. My first follow up care per my WL surgeon was to get blood work done at 3 months. I'm 8 weeks post op now and still haven't seen any doctors since I left Mexico.

I don't need any follow up care for the first 3 months. My first follow up care per my WL surgeon was to get blood work done at 3 months. I'm 8 weeks post op now and still haven't seen any doctors since I left Mexico.

Good to know. For some reason, I thought that I needed to be seen sooner. I'd much rather wait for my PCP, but I'll obviously go in if any problems arise before then.

But have a backup plan. Things can (and might) go wrong. My surgery went without a hitch, but I developed an infection at the drain site. Had to go to the ER on Christmas Eve, got more IV antibiotics, a CT scan to make sure I didn't have an abscess, then more antibiotics to fight the infection. The wound is healing well, but now I'm suffering from debilitating joint pain from a reaction to the antibiotics. **** happens. Have someone you can go to, please. At least for your peace of mind! Good luck!