Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Our home gym

Hey all,

So we're putting a home gym in our garage(the freezing Alberta winter should help me burn a few extra calories while I'm out there)

We already have a Bowflex which is awesome and we have a heavy bag but I really want to add a cardio machine of some sort. I'm debating between a stepper, elliptical, treadclimber or treadmill. I'd love to hear anyone's oppinion. Especially the ones who have had more than one of these pieces of equipment....which one did you like better? Brands that people prefer....anything like that. Thanks.

We have an elliptical, treadmill, nordictrack, powerrider, stationary bike, recumbent bike and stepper. I prefer the recumbent bike most of all because of my bad knees. Second to that I like the treadmill - don't buy cheap though or you will most likely regret it.

i love the elliptical. easier on the knees , but also works the butt and thighs . i think it is more fun and enjoyable than the treadmill. also it is less noise. on the treadmill i felt like i was thumping along. i can always walk and run outdoors. good idea to get a high quality one. i love the ones i use at the gym, but i wouldnt like the cheaper models. maybe you can get a deal for a used one. i think they are expensive if you buy new.

Treadmill wins hands down in all sorts of studies as the machine that is consistently used the most and burns the most calories. As high tech as exercise has gotten these days, jogging is still the number one fat and calorie burner.

And the calorie output on ellipticals is well known to be completely inaccurate. YOu can tell by feel anyway - there is no way you work as hard on an elliptical to burn as many calories as it says you do.

Most of the airwalker things and other stuff that comes on the infomercials in the middle of the night dont do much at all.

I cant say as to what is better at burning calories or anything like that but I have a treadmill which I used and loved for years. I just recently joined a gym and started using the elliptical. I find it is much more fun for me. I dont know if it is just because it is something different or what but I really am starting to enjoy it and actaully look forward to my days that I use it.

I would go with the elliptical, but like everyone says, don't get the cheap ones. I found that out the hard way. With the exception of the balance balls, you generally get what you pay for with exercise machines. That said, there comes a point where they are all the same and you are just paying for extras or the name. I would expect to spent at least $400-$500 on a decent machine, even if you go with something other than an elliptical. I would wait for a good sale somewhere, so that you can get a good one at the price of a not-so-good one.

I love my treadmill, it was about $850.00, I bought it 6-7 years ago. I would second the fact of buying an expensive one! It is an investment. I got mine at Sears.

i have an elliptical that I cant wait to start using again. With regards to sales - the holidays are just around the corner and if you can hold out til the New Years Resolution sales kick off then I'm sure you'll get a good deal!

Anyone know of a good website for rating exercise equipment by type or brand? I want to invest in an elliptical but want to make sure to get a good one. I also might want to get a weight machine. Thanks.

I'm in Alberta too. Check out the "Go Mango" website. True treadmills are great-good quality that will last. I first used a True while in physio and had to get one. Great staff ready to help.

Ive used all 3 of these. The elipticle is easier on the joints and I use a heart monitor which I have found the elpticle to be directly compared if not more apt to keep my heart rate up. I enjoy the running more but whenmy joints are sore or even some hip tenderness I go to the elipticle. Ive done this for over 3 years now. I also jog the roads. Since banding I've done 2 marathons too! Good luck.

Hi Time2Live!:wave:

I gotta say, you're brave to be putting it in your garage! lol Is it heated? We've got a good 2-3 feet of snow up here already, so our gym is in the basement.

We have a bowflex type machine, and I love it. I prefer the elliptical machine, but don't own one. I used to love using them at the gym though. So for now, I've got a stationary bike and a treadmill. I love the bike. I pretty much have only ever used the treadmill in the winter because of the cold. It's just so much nicer to get out in the summer. Plus, I do find the bike is better on my knees.

My sister says 'in her opinion' the elliptical is the best out there. :) She's got one. She got it at Canadian Tire for about $1500, and she says it's a lot, but it's worth it to have a better quality one. I'm sure you could find the same one cheaper elsewhere. She finds it easier on her knees as well as working her arms. I trust her, she's a nurse (as well as a size 2 to boot...).

BBG