Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is probably a dumb question...

Hopefully I'm having surgery on 12/31 (pending insurance ok) - I just bought some Optimum Nutrition powder for Protein Shakes (have to do a liquid diet 2 weeks prior to surgery). Tried one this morning and they're not exactly good... Are we able to add Splenda to them? Has anyone tried this? Rules against it?

Thanks!

most homemade shakes I have seen use Splenda instead of sugar. I am not in that phase of surgery yet. Honestly even the premade shakes have Splenda or one of the other artificial sweeteners in them.

Have you tried EAS Advantage shakes? I find them to be tasty, vanilla and chocolate that is. Low carb, high Protein, non dairy.

Good Luck!

Happy New Year for you!! I haven't added splenda but I can't see why you couldn't. You will find though after surgery your tastes will change and some no longer have a liking for sweets.

some no longer have a liking for sweets.

I can only dream lol

Some of the ultra strict people will tell you not to use splenda or any artificial sweetners, but I often add a packet or two of splenda to my shakes and smoothies. It does make them tastier. I also second the suggestion of trying the pre-made EAS shakes. They are quite good in comparison to other Protein Shakes and they are pretty affordable. I'm not really a fan of the vanilla, but I like the strawberry and chocolate flavors a lot. Chocolate fudge is the best :) You can find them at Walmart or Target. You can also get them at Walgreens and CVS, but you'll pay quite a bit more for them there so I suggest sticking with Walmart.

So i tried splenda this morning and i need to work on my recipe lol. Next time a little less splenda

What type of shake did you create this morning?

most homemade shakes I have seen use Splenda instead of sugar. I am not in that phase of surgery yet. Honestly even the premade shakes have Splenda or one of the other artificial sweeteners in them.

Have you tried EAS Advantage shakes? I find them to be tasty, vanilla and chocolate that is. Low carb, high Protein, non dairy.

Good Luck!

Can i get those at Walmart?

Optimum Nutrition Protein Shake - I'm starting the two week pre-op liquid diet next week so I'm trying to ease into it this week with only eating one meal a day.

I bought a big bottle of optimum nutrition as well. I don't drink it anymore because I just can't stomach it. I switched to body fortress and I think it's great.

Pick something you like, post op will suck if you have a nasty Protein drink that you end up forcing down

@ byebye-- Yes you can get them at Walmart.. They are not that expensive either. I bought 12 (3 4 packs) for about $15.

@acting- I also have the Vitamin Shoppe WheyTech Pro24 Protein powder in vanilla and banana creme (not a big chocolate fan). They taste good when mixed correctly.

I have made an Orange Crush, Sweet Potato Pie and banana Peanut Butter smoothie with the flavors. Out of the three, the sweet potato one was my favorite. I just experiment with different items until I find something that I like and that doesnt have a lot of calories and carbs.. I did the liquid diet as a trial run for two weeks while i was on my 3 month preop phase

@ byebye-- Yes you can get them at Walmart.. They are not that expensive either. I bought 12 (3 4 packs) for about $15.

@acting- I also have the Vitamin Shoppe WheyTech Pro24 Protein powder in vanilla and banana creme (not a big chocolate fan). They taste good when mixed correctly.

Ok thanks!

My preop paperwork allows for artificial sweeteners but personally I use Jay Robb because it's sweetened with stevia, I'll use other sweeteners once in a while, but if I'm going to be having several shakes a day I'd rather they didn't have artificial sweeteners.... it's just a personal preference.