Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Weeks To Skinny!

I am now on the countdown- 7 weeks until surgery. I am so anxious and just want to start getting everything prepared and ready. What are some things I should be getting ready now? I have been asking the coordinator (whom I think is great) if I can get a pre and post op diet information and she keeps putting me off saying she will get it to me later. Should I be worried about this? I have a low BMI so I think I only have to pre-op diet for 3 days, but I am cutting out all alcohol, sweets and grains starting Nov. 1 (Surgery date Dec. 17 with Dr. Ponce De Leon). I cannot lose more than 6 pounds or I will be below my BMI for the surgery. Any help would be great. I think I would just feel more at ease if I could start planning now.

Before surgery, the list on this site helped in the pre-op forum. I also stocked up on measuring cups, a kitchen scale, small bowls, small spoons, forks, Tevia cups that I marked the ounces on, a Magic Bullet for shakes and purees.

I also got same packs of several Bariatric Vitamins and tried some to see which ones I liked! Celebrate Viatmins will send you a sample of all of their Vitamins, I think for $5.00. Then I ordered my multi, B12, D and Calcium so that it was all waiting on me.

I had lots of Protein powder on hand and broth for right after. You don't have to have all of this, but it made it easier on me the weeks after surgery. Plus, I'm a planner so it made me feel more prepared! Good luck on the beginning of your journey!

I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and it has been wonderful! I just had a check up yesterday and got cleared for everything!

Buying things ahead of time is a great idea...particularly if you're going to be buying online, and have to wait for shipping. HOWEVER...be aware that your taste buds may change dramatically, once your surgery is done...and what you LOVE today, you may HATE the morning after! I would suggest buying sample sizes of things (Protein powders, in particular), try them after surgery, and then buy locally (Vitamin Shoppe has a million different things, and will refund your money if you buy something and hate it) until you can get things ordered online.

I started using 5" plates, tiny bowls, cocktail forks, and baby spoons a couple months before my surgery, to get myself used to the process of eating tiny bites, chewing like crazy, and eating very slowly. I HIGHLY recommend you get into these habits now....because it will take some time to get used to, and to fully integrate the new behavior into your life. Having measuring utensils, a good kitchen scale, and a shaker bottle are also a good idea.

I would also suggest you begin tracking everything your put in your mouth...food, liquids, medicines, etc...in order to develop the habit. Regardless of how you do it, (on paper, or online), tracking calories, Protein, carbs, fat, etc are critical (IMHO) to success, post-surgery. Whatever little tips/helpful hints you get from your surgeon....do them! Take the time, now...before you HAVE to..., and start working on the behavior changes you will need afterwards. It will make your overall journey much easier!

I wish you great success!

Laura

Just curious as to why you are having he surgery if you have a low BMI, I thought you had to have to lose 65 lbs or more? You said that if you lose 6 lbs you BMI will be too low....are you really tall? Just curious.

All the best to you...and yes things will taste different after the surgery.

Let me just say my doctor requires that you have Protein shakes 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after surgery. One week after surgery I will be seeing him and the nut. So I did not have to worry where I was going to get the Protein Shakes, they were also Bariatric Advantage website (i did not want to run all around town looking and testing).They are very filing and I did buy enough for after surgery as well.

I too am a planner also the behaviors I began a month prior to surgery (10/29) was the 30-20-30 rule: 30 min. prior to eating no liquids, 20 min. to eat meal, 30 min after meal no liquids.

I purchased all my Vitamins from Bariatric Advantage website.

Biotin from wal mart

plates, knives and forks (small ones)

2 new gowns

GNC: Protein shakers.

Other than that it took me 30 days to practice the behavior and I am still working on the 20 min. it takes longer. The 64 oz of Water daily I have conqured that. I also quit coffee, tea.

I think that is it, good luck.

Before 50- I am 5'3 and weigh 180lbs. which is down from 200 lbs. a year ago. I made a mistake it is 8 pounds I cannot lose. At 172 it puts me right at 30.5 BMI. So I am having surgery because I am tired of being overweight for most of my adult life, feeling miserable and being unhealthy. I am on high blood pressure meds now and have high cholesteral and a high rate of heart disease deaths in my family. I hope this answers your question.

How exciting to be so close. Read what you can, so many here are open and willing to help. Wishing you the best on this start of your WLS journey. Looking forward to following your success story.

I love my sleeve and have no regrets.