Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possibly Allergic To Whey Protein

HELP! 2 days after starting Protein Drinks 1 week before my surgery up to today I have been itching like crazy. I have been to the Dr 3 times, thinking it was an allergic reaction to a bug bite, allergic reaction to the tape they used for the IV in the hospital & lastly, cellulitis. I have been given a Solu-Medrol shot, 2 prednisone packs, a rochephin shot, 3 prednisone tabs & have used hydrocortisone cream, benedryl tablets, Benedryl ointment & benedryl spray-NOTHING has helped. I am starting to think I am allergic to the whey in the Protein Shakes as I read online that that can happen. Has anyone out there had this happen to them? I am trying eggwhite Protein Powder for a few days to see if the itching stops. My only problem with it is it is low in Protein (16 g for 1/4 c) & I tried to mix it into my Soup & when I nuked it, it sort of cooked...liked a souflle :-( I don't drink milk or almond milk so mixing it with that is out of the question. I start the pureed phase on Wed. so I am hoping I can mix it with something else. Suggestions would be welcome!!!

well, you just might be allergic. I am allergic to milk, eggs, and beef so it's has been tricky since my surgery last November. I drink Protein Drinks anyway because I have not had much success eating meat. I eat a lot of Beans for Protein. I find that about every few days I have to take 50mg of benadryl to stop the itching. It primarily occurs in my hands and feed and drives me absolutely crazy. And I know it's the food allergies. But you know, I've got to eat something. If it goes anything like my situation, you will just decide you need the protein. I have heard that pea protein is an alternative but I haven't tried it. I did try soy protein and just couldn't tolerate the taste. Hope this helps...

Protein gets weird when it is heated over 130 degrees F, so you probably would want to heat your Soup (not too much) and then check the temp before you add the powder. You can't cook with it.

My next choice would be soy Protein if I couldn't tolerate whey. I'm glad that I can, considering the fact I'm lactose intolerant. Not a milk drinker either, but almond milk is a great thing. Can you do soy milk?

At the Vitamin Shoppe, you can find Jay Robb egg white Protein shake mixes that have about 23-25 g of protein per serving, which is great. I have a sample but haven't tried it yet.

There are things you can do to amp up the protein level, such as adding yogurt, to shakes. Can you tolerate greek yogurt?

epattys-Benedryl over the counter hasn't stopped my itching at all. I am miserable & I have huge welts & scratches all over me. I may try something called Raw Protein. I will see if doing the eggwhite Proteins stops the itching so I know if it is that for sure or not.

Alithinos-I am a tiny bit lactose intolerant & I haven't drank milk in over 40 years. I don't drink almond or soy milk either. I did go to Vitamin Shoppe last week & bought a couple sample packs of Jay Robb's. I tried the dreamsicle one & it was ok. I didn't buy any of his egg Protein but I may now since they have more protein in them than the eggwhite Protein Powder I just bought. I am not a big fan of greek yogurt-it is too thick & has too strong of a taste but I have forced myself to eat it mixed with flavored extracts or crystal light. It has alot of carbs & I try to be conservative with the carbs. I just can't stand this itching anymore. My arms & legs are tore up like I was attacked by a wild cheetah or something, lol.

I've got an itchy rash all over my body and wondered the same thing. Just started prednisone. If its not better then I am done with this whey crap.

Take the benadryl tablets. 2 at a time.

Alithinos-I did take two & it made me really dizzy. Went to my PCP today & she thinks if I lay off the whey, it should stop in 3-4 days-if it IS the whey causing it. I tried the Jay Robb egg white chocolate & I'm not crazy about it-it has a funny aftertaste but I could choke it down if I have to. I tried another type & it was drinkable if I added more Water to it. It is called PureGreen Protein & it was the mixed berry. They come in other flavors as well. I have a couple more to try. This is just so frustrating......

Justine13-when was your surgery?

Alithinos-I did take two & it made me really dizzy. Went to my PCP today & she thinks if I lay off the whey' date=' it should stop in 3-4 days-if it IS the whey causing it. I tried the Jay Robb egg white chocolate & I'm not crazy about it-it has a funny aftertaste but I could choke it down if I have to. I tried another type & it was drinkable if I added more Water to it. It is called PureGreen Protein & it was the mixed berry. They come in other flavors as well. I have a couple more to try. This is just so frustrating......

Justine13-when was your surgery?[/quote']

Hey there- mine was sept 12. I had follow up today and told them I refuse anymore of the whey crap. They said I need my Protein. I have to get it from food. I still might try my Premier Protein shakes that I had preop but not before this rash goes away. I'm on steroids but it's taking forever because I'm constantly scratching- its miserable . How about you?

I don't have the itching type problem, I have the diarrhea which the doctor said was the whey protein... So I have stopped all Protein and started full liquids a few days early... I have to work at getting my protein through food as soon as I can tolerate it...

I'm tired of the Protein drinks too but I can't get enough protein in a day without drinking 1. The Premier drinks I buy at Sams have 30g so that plus oatmeal gets me to almost 40g in the morning. I eat lots of Beans too because I really struggle with meat. I think my sleeve is really small. I can't really eat anymore than I could 8 weeks after the procedure. That's good in that I have lost 80 pounds and have about 15 to go. But I also have to consider long term not being able to eat much protein in the form of actual food. I also have a hard time with salad and many fruits/veges. Like I said, I eat lots of beans and Soup. Getting back to the allergy, I just have to put up with the itching and let me tell you it can wake me up and absolutely drives me nuts. My hands and feet swell up and get hives on them and I have callous like areas on my hands from rubbing them so much. the only thing that works for me is taking 2 (25) mg benadryl the second I start itching and then it takes about 45 minutes for it to stop. Some days I have to take it twice. On the up side, you get tolerant to the sleepiness and it'll quit giving you that side effect. I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one out there sick of those protein drinks.

Protein gets weird when it is heated over 130 degrees F, so you probably would want to heat your Soup (not too much) and then check the temp before you add the powder. You can't cook with it.

My next choice would be soy Protein if I couldn't tolerate whey. I'm glad that I can, considering the fact I'm lactose intolerant. Not a milk drinker either, but almond milk is a great thing. Can you do soy milk?

At the Vitamin Shoppe, you can find Jay Robb egg white Protein shake mixes that have about 23-25 g of protein per serving, which is great. I have a sample but haven't tried it yet.

There are things you can do to amp up the protein level, such as adding yogurt, to shakes. Can you tolerate greek yogurt?

I agree, I also buy direct from Jay Robb not cheap but good tasting and pure stuff.

epattys-I actually like the Protein drinks & it upsets me that I can't have the whey ones...at least until I figure out if it is that or not. I tried alot of different ones to find the ones I liked. You said you tried soy-it is a strong after taste?

I tried the Jay Robb egg white Protein Drink in chocolate & didn't care for the after taste : -( I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Justine13-We had our surgeries the same day! I finished my 2nd prednisone pack with no relief. I'm still itching but it seems to be a bit less than in the past 3 weeks. I actually got through work without itching at all but it started on my way home. I find it odd it is only my extremities & the back of my head. I see my surgeon tomorrow for my 1st follow-up so I am going to get his feedback on this. Why can't they make protein in a pill form? I wonder if there is anything stronger than prednisone?

Designs for Health has a rice-based Protein in their Paleo shake line. You will need your NUT to register first and then you can order. My dr, thought the sweeteners may be the cause of my problems.

vanilla sems to taste better and add your own sf Syrup to flavor. Add just a little at a time I like Kalua, and a friend makes an amaretto and mocha mix.

I have a sample of a rice Protein one but I haven't tried it yet. I was told they tend to be gritty.

Jrr-vanilla what? I just assumed vanilla of any of them would taste worse than the chocolate. LOL