Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just started solids and went to town :(

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I had my lap band surgery on Aug. 28th. I've lost 15 lbs. I was able to start solid foods this last Friday. We went out of town this weekend and I soon realized that the food was going down very easily and I could eat almost as much as I used to. The reason I know this is because thats pretty much what I did. I ate like I used to. Now its Sunday, the weekend is over and I have weighed myself and found that I gained quite a bit of weight. I am upset over the demon that took over my mind and mouth and am wondering if any of you did the same thing when you started solids. Does it really change THAT much when you get your first fill?? Because right now I feel really discouraged and hungry and I'm hoping that this band will give me a little more control than that. Please help!! :hungry:

"I'm hoping that this band will give me a little more control than that." Yes, your band with proper fill will help the hunger but you will always have to maintain a certain level of self control.

Now the trick is...was the food you ate healthy? If so, then don't worry about it. If not, then you may need to step back and make sure you get yourself going in the right direction.

Don't worry about the weight gain. This happens to almost all of us from the switch-over to regular food. It will settle down within the next week or so. And don't let yourself get discouraged. So, go ahead and eat, stop when you're satisfied, and make sure it's food you're proud of--if you do this you'll be just fine!

shaunaruder: If your doctor had you on a liquid pre-op diet in addition to the liquids/mushies stage post-op, the weight gain has a lot to do with you coming out of what is, for all intents and purposes, a starvation period. I know that I gained about 5-8 lbs once I went to solids, and that's totally okay. It's easy to get malnourished during the liquid stages...your body is probably just holding on to the food for dear life after the shock you gave it!

I can't tell you when you'll get just the right restriction...for me, it took 3 fills before I really felt anything significant. But the fills *do* make a HUGE difference in the way we eat. Don't be discouraged...you're doing just fine!

Agreed.....I had the same problem once I was allowed to eat solid food I found that I could eat anything and unfortunately did. However I had my first fill 5 days ago...the first 3 days I was on liquids and soft food then on day four I had some chicken thigh for lunch when .....BAM!!!! restriction.

Since then I have been amazed as to how little I can eat and not care....it's great!

Well, I have to say that what I ate this weekend was in no way "Healthy" food. It was pretty much a binge. Which was upsetting because I had been doing SO GOOD. But I seem to do that EVERY time I go on a diet. I am going to do my best to be good and hold out for that first fill as I hear it should help with hunger. I am not sure how much my Doc is going to fill it but hopefully it will be a good amount for me. Thanks for all your help.

hi I am new to the site, I had my surgery on 8-11-06 lost alot the first 2 weeks and now I am on mushies and feel like I can eat more than I should I dont think I lost any thing since my 2 week check up, I go to the doctor on the 28th of this month and I will question about a fill.

good luck. Dont give up ever thin tastes good.

Rita-Ann northern NJ:cool:

In the meantime, continue to read, read, read all the posts you can. You'll find that this is a very common phenomena of nearly all newly banded folks. In no time you'll be celebrating your losses like everyone else!! Remember Protein, protein, protein, walk, walk, walk, chew, chew, chew.. :D Welcome!

Hi new to the site,

trying to take it all in needed more people like me

hope to meet some new friends

hi I am new to the site, I had my surgery on 8-11-06 lost alot the first 2 weeks and now I am on mushies and feel like I can eat more than I should I dont think I lost any thing since my 2 week check up, I go to the doctor on the 28th of this month and I will question about a fill.

good luck. Dont give up ever thin tastes good.

Rita-Ann northern NJ:cool: