Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jesse Jackson Jr. Had A Duodenal Switch

I came across this article that suggests that Jesse Jackson Jr's gastrointestinal and depression problems may have been caused by a duodenal switch. The description of a duodenal switch makes it seems as though it is the same thing as a sleeve that also bypasses a lot of the intestines which results in malabsorption. The articles go on to say that Jr may have developed bipolar disorder as a result of malnutrition.

http://chicagotonigh...witch-explained

http://illinoisrevie...r-disorder.html

If true then this is yet another reason why getting just a sleeve is better than getting the duodenal switch or bypass. The idea of bypassing the intestines is a scary thought to me. It just seems too drastic to not only remove 90% of the stomach but then to also bypass a lot of the intestines. I wonder if cases like this will eventually result in people with depression, etc. being disqualified from any kind of bypass operation.

What in the world were they thinking....approving someone for such a drastic surgery to only lose 50 pounds!!!

I dont know....

What in the world were they thinking....approving someone for such a drastic surgery to only lose 50 pounds!!!

I dont know....

apparently, Jr was 100 pounds overweight before the surgery. I was given the option of what kind of surgery that I wanted. Do you have a duodenal switch?

I also found this article that suggests that weight loss surgery increases the level of suicides and heart disease. I wonder if they are nutrition related:

http://archsurg.jama...rticleid=400707

This is a q & a regarding depression following weight loss surgery:

http://bariatrictime...and-prevention/

apparently, Jr was 100 pounds overweight before the surgery...I am too and my doctor gave me the option of getting a bypass if I want it...I don't. Do you have a duodenal switch?

I also found this article that suggests that weight loss surgery increases the level of suicides and heart disease. I wonder if they are nutrition related:

http://archsurg.jama...rticleid=400707

This is a q & a regarding depression following weight loss surgery:

http://bariatrictime...and-prevention/

Well the news show that was in the first posting, the jounralist stated that he lost 50 pounds....so if he had 100 pounds to lose I would understand, but not 50 pounds...

Well the news show that was in the first posting, the jounralist stated that he lost 50 pounds....so if he had 100 pounds to lose I would understand, but not 50 pounds...

hmmm...you're right, it doesn't say that...I must have read it somewhere else although I can't find it now...can self pays just choose any operation that they want?

hmmm...you're right, it doesn't say that...I must have read it somewhere else although I can't find it now...can self pays just choose any operation that they want?

Well technically yes they can, the surgeon will tell you which one he would suggest, but ultimately if you have the cash, most will do the procedure...

both my lapband and revision were self-pay....my surgoen for my lapband was against giving me the lapband, he recommended RNY (the sleeve wasn't around in 2005) but I insisted on the lapband...fast forward 7 years I wish I'd paid the extra 5,000 for the RNY.....but I learned my lesson, I have the sleeve now, and I dont regret it....

The New England Journal of Medicine addressed the positive medical side of bypass including decreases in heart disease.

bypassing any of the intestines just seems unnecessary to me for the simple reason that it causes malabsorption that leads to malnutrition. Now that the sleeve is available, why is rny even still approved? Is the rny really any more beneficial than the sleeve?

I studied psychology in school during which I learned that a primary cause of schizophrenia can be malnutrition. In fact, some of the new treatments that are being developed rely a great deal on just ensuring that schizophrenics receive proper nutrition. Also, excessive consumption of caffeine can increase cortisol levels which can also cause mental problems. Jr seemed to be experiencing a lot of stress at the time...maybe he was consuming too much caffeine and not enough vegetables.

He and his sister had it.

looks like his sister has lost 200 lbs!

bypassing any of the intestines just seems unnecessary to me for the simple reason that it causes malabsorption that leads to malnutrition. Now that the sleeve is available, why is rny even still approved? Is the rny really any more beneficial than the sleeve?

I studied psychology in school during which I learned that a primary cause of schizophrenia can be malnutrition. In fact, some of the new treatments that are being developed rely a great deal on just ensuring that schizophrenics receive proper nutrition. Also, excessive consumption of caffeine can increase cortisol levels which can also cause mental problems. Jr seemed to be experiencing a lot of stress at the time...maybe he was consuming too much caffeine and not enough vegetables.

looks like his sister has lost 200 lbs!

I watched a lecture that a bariatric surgeon conducted and he said that they are expecting the sleeve to eventually become the gold standard and replace bypass.

I watched a lecture that a bariatric surgeon conducted and he said that they are expecting the sleeve to eventually become the gold standard and replace bypass.

makes sense to me. I understand that people lose more weight bypassing the intestines but the negative impact of doing that really seems to outweigh the positive. Robbing the body of precious nutrients when you're already consuming so little just doesn't seem like a healthy option to me.

I personally three people that have lost over 100 pounds and one guy lost over 200 pounds, and they gained almost all of it back, through Gastric Bypass. They found ways to cheat, they still aren't getting the proper nutrition but they gained 100-200 pounds back!

I am sure people that have been sleeved could do the same too, if they don't follow the lifestyle and if they find ways to cheat the system.

I feel the sleeve is more nutritionally sound that the bypass, duodenal switches, they don't usually do immediately, they do the sleeve and about a year later they do the duodenal switch and they normally do this only for extremely morbidly obese people. I didn't realize JJ jr. was that big...

I personally three people that have lost over 100 pounds and one guy lost over 200 pounds, and they gained almost all of it back, through Gastric Bypass. They found ways to cheat, they still aren't getting the proper nutrition but they gained 100-200 pounds back!

I am sure people that have been sleeved could do the same too, if they don't follow the lifestyle and if they find ways to cheat the system.

I feel the sleeve is more nutritionally sound that the bypass, duodenal switches, they don't usually do immediately, they do the sleeve and about a year later they do the duodenal switch and they normally do this only for extremely morbidly obese people. I didn't realize JJ jr. was that big...

If the lack of intestines is keeping people from absorbing enough nutrients out of the food that they are able to eat then that would seem to encourage cheating more. When I eat low carb or low calorie then my insulin resistance causes me to get really weak which, in turn, causes me to want carbs to gain energy. I wonder if the bypass causes people to overcompensate for the nutrients that aren't being absorbed. Losing and then gaining 100-200 pounds back would be really discouraging! Why would they do the sleeve first and then the bypass later?

I actually considered bypass last year when I started seriously looking into all this, but in the end decided bypass as compared to the sleeve was the "easy way out." I too have friends who've had RNY who have put a lot of the weight back on. I had myself convinced that my eating habits were not "that bad," and that my digestive system was just "too efficient," and that bypass would fix that. After plenty of research and soul-searching, I figured if I wasn't willing to do work on MY end, and instead rely on malabsorption for all my losses, that I would not be better off. I also decided the different (and lifelong!) malnutrition risks with each bypass procedure were just not worth it. Very happy with my decision. And down 56 pounds...

I actually considered bypass last year when I started seriously looking into all this' date=' but in the end decided bypass as compared to the sleeve was the "easy way out." I too have friends who've had RNY who have put a lot of the weight back on. I had myself convinced that my eating habits were not "that bad," and that my digestive system was just "too efficient," and that bypass would fix that. After plenty of research and soul-searching, I figured if I wasn't willing to do work on MY end, and instead rely on malabsorption for all my losses, that I would not be better off. I also decided the different (and lifelong!) malnutrition risks with each bypass procedure were just not worth it. Very happy with my decision. And down 56 pounds...[/quote']

Wtg...the sleeve was the best decision for me too, it's a tool and we have to work that tool! I am down 66 pounds and in better shape than I have been in years!! I have family members who had bypass and regained a lot of their excess weight, so I knew I didn't want that and besides I only had 70 pounds to lose.