Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "NEVER HUNGRY" thread - post here if that's you

So I see a lot of people talking about how they're always hungry, ravenous, etc. I'm having quite the opposite experience. On day 2 of my pre-op liquid diet I lost my appetite, and have yet to find it. I kept waiting for it to come back post-op and it never did. "Lucky me" - I know - but it's not necessarily a good situation, either.

I'm not too tight. I can eat close to anything I want. I'm just never hungry. I feel true hunger maybe once or twice a month. I find myself eating when I'm not hungry (though waiting several hours between) just to try and get some food in.

So if there are others out there, as I'm sure there are, let's group here and we can discuss.

<!--StartFragment --> I'm coming upon three weeks post-op and still on the liquid diet but am having to force myself to eat (or should I say "consume") as well. I always had hunger before and know the feeling intimately but I have to say that I've only been truly hungry a couple of times. And it actually could have been "head hunger" as I'm not really sure of the difference. In fact, I have had a few ophthalmic Migraines because my blood sugar got too low. As soon as I drink something, they go away. I start back on solids next week and will be anxious to see if the trend continues. I do like the fact that I don't have to work through the hunger and can concentrate on something else.

PatU

I sure wish my appetite disappeared! I still get hungry, sometimes ravenous, very quickly. Luckily it dosen't take much to fill me up though!

It is nice. I was just telling some banded friends the other day that I truly understand the "eating to live, not living to eat" idea now. food is the LAST thing I think about, instead of the first.

BTW, I get ocular Migraines, is that the same thing as opthalmic, do you know? It's apparently a Migraine, with the visual distortions, but no pain. So I get migraines, but they don't hurt... took me a long time to learn that's what they were. I have them very rarely... only every few years. If so, I was told it "just happens" - it was never linked to blood sugar. Interesting!

I Googled both terms and one or the other are used to describe the same condition. There was a list on one of the sites where missed meals (causing low blood sugar) can trigger them. I never had one before last weekend but now I have had two. I rarely skipped meals before the band.

Been trying to eat a little something every couple of hours today. I also got a mild headache this time but the visual wavyness is what freaked me out. Glad to learn it wasn't too serious but I wouldn't want one everyday. Another lesson learned.

PatU

I used to hate thin people that would say, Oh My God I forgot to eat. I never forgot to eat pre-band. Now I am one of those people. I will be getting ready for bed and realize I have not eaten a meal all day. I try for 3 meals a day but most days it is 1 meal and a few high Protein Snacks. I am also struggling to get in my Water everyday. I am never hungry but I know when I have to eat, I get a bit shakey and dizzy. Or I will hear my tummy growling. So put me on that never hungry list....~Mandy

I can remember having 4. One in highschool, right after I took a bunch of meds (had bronchitis and a resp infection), so I thought I was just "trippy" from the meds.

The latest was about a year ago, and just struck one morning out of the blue. I was typing, kind of "felt" it coming on (but since it doesn't hurt, I dont really feel it... guess it's just changes in the vision or eye pressure or something...) then there it was. For me it's tunnel vision, and random "bright colors" that can keep me from being able to see, like if a flash goes off in your face, then everything you look at is covered with a bright blur. And then I get these weird psychadelic writhing "worms" in my peripheral vision... these sort of undulating "strings". And everything will pulse.

Funky fly, man...

I was intrigued by the topic - specifically because I do NOT have a band - and I have experienced the same thing - after I lost 12 pounds I quit being hungry....I can go 6-8 hours without eating and not think about it - so I wonder - is it the band or is it the smaller stomach from it shrinking with less food in there to stretch it out? Interesting......

Guest Sew N Sew

Hello all, I had heard that the best thing about being banded was that one is NOT hungry anymore. Some people are, but that the majority are not? I'll be banded either way. There is supposed to be some "chemical" in the stomach that relates to hunger, and after gastric surg. it is lessened. Sounds good to me!

I have been banded since 05/16/2006 and I am NEVER hungry--it is so fantastic!!! I have lost 32 pounds already, but I do exercise daily and make healthy food choices....

Even though I've had all my fill taken out, I rarely feel hungry. It is rather odd.

I have noticed that when my cortisol levels are really high, I'm ravenous, so that's one reason I know my levels are on the rise and it's time to start testing.

I know that a lot of people think that once they get the band they will never ever ber hungry again, never ever. and I think that is a mistake. I think are are suppose to be hungry, I think it is a natural and reasonable thing to be. I think "normal" people are supposed to be hungry after not eating for 4 or 6 hours or more.

I think a lot of baby bandsters don't understand this.

That we are supposed to feel hunger.

I would say that my food cravings have disappeared. I eat when it is meal time. But I don't have that head hunger, hang out in the fridge door looking for something to wrap my teeth around before I go to bed cravings. It is really a new sensation to experience. Protein fills me up, I don't want sweet carbs or just carbs anymore. Now, I really don't think I have restriction yet. I've had two fills in a VG band. I can "almost" eat a normal size serving portion. I'm loosing slowly, but it is coming off and I'm not beating my head against the wall to stay away from food.< /p>

I love my band!

Terry ;)

WOW I feel the same way. I have been reluctant to say anything because so many people DO struggle with hunger.

I can tell you if I EVER tell my family I am hungry they start scrambling for something for me to eat. It is just something that happens so rarely. Usually if I wait about five minutes the feeling will pass.

Myra

I was pretty much without hunger during the four months after banding. However, recently my hunger has returned. My nurse says hunger between meals is a sign of needing another fill, and that if I can go a month without PBing she'll give me that fill.